Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I am new to the forum, nice to meet you all!
I am an owner of CRF1000 DCT 2018. I bought it just before the covid19 rise and I have ridden this beauty for only 1200km so far.

Yesterday, I had my first drop with very low speed on a very slippery road. The bike fell on its left side (i.e. the exhaust is on the right side).
Thank god, I had already crash bars installed so the bike does not even have a scratch.

I checked if there is a leak somewhere but I did not locate any leak. However, following the drop, today I noticed that when I turn off the engine (after a 10 min ride), there is a "strange" sound. I put my ear as close as possible and I am quite sure the sound is coming from the exhaust. The frequency of the sound decreases as time goes by and it stops completely after a few mins, so it lasts for ~5 mins after I turn off the engine.
Note: maybe this sound is normal and it is due to metal shrink/expand but I had not noticed this before.

I recorded a video at which you can hear the sound I am talking about (too large file, so uploaded it in Dropbox):

Can you please have a look and let me know if this is normal or if you have any idea what this could be?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best regards,
Andreas

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
Hi @rulenstein and welcome to the Forum. Congratulations on your 2018 AT DCT.

That sound that you posted appears to be the exhaust system, in particular, the muffler component cooling. This is normal for all motorcycles and cars. Some "click" while cooling more than others - not sure why - maybe due to the engineering and/or manufacture differences. In all cases, it typically stops many minutes later, depending on your local climate conditions.

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
Mine does as well and I think the sounds kinda mellow and lesson a little with age. Maybe because the metals and exhaust packing go through several cycles. Or maybe I am just more accustomed to it? The truth is probably somewhere in between :)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
Mine does as well and I think the sounds kinda mellow and lesson a little with age. Maybe because the metals and exhaust packing go through several cycles. Or maybe I am just more accustomed to it? The truth is probably somewhere in between :)
Strangely, my last three Hondas have been unusually quiet when cooling down. Before that, it was quite the orchestra.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mine was popping to beat the band when I got home last night.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hello guys,

I am an owner of CRF1000 DCT 2018. I bought it just before the covid19 rise and I have ridden this beauty for only 1200km so far.

Yesterday, I had my first drop with very low speed on a very slippery road. The bike fell on its left side (i.e. the exhaust is on the right side).
Thank god, I had already crash bars installed so the bike does not even have a scratch.

I checked if there is a leak somewhere but I did not locate any leak. However, following the drop, today I noticed that when I turn off the engine (after a 10 min ride), there is a "strange" sound. I put my ear as close as possible and I am quite sure the sound is coming from the exhaust. The frequency of the sound decreases as time goes by and it stops completely after a few mins, so it lasts for ~5 mins after I turn off the engine.
Note: maybe this sound is normal and it is due to metal shrink/expand but I had not noticed this before.

I recorded a video at which you can hear the sound I am talking about (too large file, so uploaded it in Dropbox):

Can you please have a look and let me know if this is normal or if you have any idea what this could be?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best regards,
Andreas
I have the same bike. Mine does the same thing. I'm pretty sure it's normal.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Mine has some noises too. But, for some odd reason, those noises seem to follow me after I dismount the bike and I walk into the house. Still hearing noises! :sick: Hmmmmm.
Scott

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's your Crankshaft spinning the bearings or it a piston pin hitting the cylinder wall or it's a broke Cam chain adjuster or cam chain or a broken intake or exhaust valve or a broken water pump blade or a disintegrating clutch/ basket or low blinker fluid or most likely, just the exhaust cooling down.:)

Sam:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello guys,

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best regards,
Andreas
hi, what engine bars do you have, i have the ones for the spot lights but i am unsure whether they would cope with a drop

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you have the standard ones that come with the ATAS then Honda call them "light bars" lol. I don't think they will stand up to the bike being dropped very much, maybe once if you are lucky.

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
I saw a bike at my dealer that had been dropped with the "light bars," the day I picked up my ATAs. The right bar had pushed into the fairing cracking it. I replaced them on my ATAS shortly after picking it up. They are probably better than no protection though. Much like those thin silicone phone cases are better than no protection. But neither will likely hold up well to a hard drop.

·
Registered
190 Posts
hi, what engine bars do you have, i have the ones for the spot lights but i am unsure whether they would cope with a drop
If all you have is a tip over at standstill or very low speed they will probably be fine. I have already done that with the stock bars. If you replace them check around. You want something that will bend before the frame does for minor impacts. For major impacts you want something that will protect you as much as possible since the motorcycle may not survive.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I still haven't gotten round to changing my stock "light bars", though fortunately I have managed to avoid dropping the bike, so far..... :/

1 - 20 of 20 Posts