Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,
Well, I've really only got about an hour on all this new stuff but, so far, in the limited use and experimentation, I'm a happy boy! Based on much of your input and reading reviews etc. I chose the Garmin Nuvo XT. Not cheap but, it's DEFINITELY sunlight readable. And, it's got lots of features that I still have to learn about. Now, we, the CEO and I, don't do a lot of 2-up riding on the A/T like we used to on the Wing. But, if and when we do, I want some normal communication between us without yelling and being distracted etc.

So, again, with advice from you nice folks and, lots of research, I ended up using a system that was/is marketed by a company called J&M Audio. For those that are not familiar with them, they've been dealing with stereo amps, head sets, wiring and more for large cruisers like Wings, Harleys and more, for decades and decades. We have two brand new HJC helmets that are wired with speakers and mics from J&M Audio for our Wing. But, the Wing's gone and, if at all possible, I wanted to keep all that new equipment in those two helmets.

If I'd have purchased a Cardo or Sena system, I'd have had to replace all that already new equipment. So, I spoke with the boys at J&M and they said, "yep, we got exactly what you need. So, I ordered up two., Blue Tooth com sets. I got both installed a couple of days ago. They work like a charm. And, they're paired with the brand new Garmin. They, AND the Garmin are paired with my I-phone too!!!!! Man, what the electric gizmos can do today is mind boggling.

Anyway, after arriving at a camp spot here in Williams AZ today, I got the A/T off the back of the coach, got all dressed up, helmet and all, and went for a ride. I'm cruising along when, all of a sudden, I got a text from my son. Guess what, that text appeared on my GARMIN, how about them apples boys!!!!!!!!!!!! If I pushed the little arrow for Play, on the screen, the Garmin actually reads the text to me, IN MY HEAD SET VIA BLUE TOOTH! Not long after that, I'm cruising along and all of a sudden, I look at the Garmin and, it states, YOU HAVE A CALL FROM YOUR WIFE!! I simply push the button on the scree: Accept and, start talking to her.

Man, I am digging all this new stuff. My turn-by-turn on the Garmin comes through loud and clear on my headset too. This is great.
Scott

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yep, technology is fabulous! I have a similar setup with a Zumo 396 and the J&M BT-04 that provides excellent sound through their speakers. Ride safe, pikester

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, technology is fabulous! I have a similar setup with a Zumo 396 and the J&M BT-04 that provides excellent sound through their speakers. Ride safe, pikester
pikester,
Yep, mine's a J&M BT-04 also. They were/are good people to deal with.
Scott

·
Registered
275 Posts
Welcome to the world of the wired Scott. It is nice to stay connected while charging around the countryside. Like Pikester, I use a Zumo 396 with a Sena kit. Another nice feature you might enjoy is the ability to pull up your iPhone music using the Garmin whenever.

My Sena system is almost 7 years old so I'm definitely in the market for an upgrade. I'll add J&M to my scan.

Ride safe out there.

·
Registered
248 Posts
With your J&M, can you say 'hey siri!? And get a response? Idk anything about them.

With my packtalk bold, when I get a text, my Zumo reads it to me. Then I can say 'ok Google' she answers. I say send a message to xxx, after she responds I say what I want to send, then say send and my text it on the way.

For phone calls incoming I just say answer(but I believe when the phone is ringing, anything you say answers it).

It's all pretty neat stuff for sure!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With your J&M, can you say 'hey siri!? And get a response? Idk anything about them.

With my packtalk bold, when I get a text, my Zumo reads it to me. Then I can say 'ok Google' she answers. I say send a message to xxx, after she responds I say what I want to send, then say send and my text it on the way.

For phone calls incoming I just say answer(but I believe when the phone is ringing, anything you say answers it).

It's all pretty neat stuff for sure!
According to the boys at J&M, the BT-04 is not voice command like the pack talk. I was thinking I’d like the voice command but again, the fact that I already had new speakers and mics installed, I went with the J&M.

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
According to the boys at J&M, the BT-04 is not voice command like the pack talk. I was thinking I’d like the voice command but again, the fact that I already had new speakers and mics installed, I went with the J&M.
My Senia has only one voice command and that’s answer.
But if I hold a button on the Senia I can get Seri , then the only thing she will do with the iPhone locked is make a call, if the phone is unlocked Seri works as normal..
Point being: Will pressing any buttons get Seri?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AT,
I don't know the system well enough to mess with testing things. Heck, we just got some I-tunes music sent to my I-phone. I'd never had any music on my phone before this. I do have one of those mini I-pods that we use on the boat and in the motorhome. But, this will be the first time I've ever used my phone for music. We (the CEO and I) had to make some adjustments on the GPS in order for the music to be played on my headset in my helmet. Once we got that going, we were trying to see if my I-phone, through the GPS, will play music on both headsets. So far, not working.
Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts