Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just over 1100kms on my DCT. About to leave work this afternoon. As I pressed the start button I noticed a brief crunching/clicking as the starter motor engaged and turned the motor over. Started ok and then I noticed the gear indicator on the dash was showing the centre bar only of the number 3 flashing. Normally would display N. When I pressed the transmission mode switch to put the bike into D or S, nothing, it remained in neutral.

As an IT person would do, powered down and restarted with no problem. My guess is something was detected as a fault when the starter turned over and the bike stayed in some fault mode.

Anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I guess the DCT was struggling to engage first gear as it presumably checks everything on startup including gear pre-selection. Maybe if for some strange reason it encounters an obstinate configuration of the synchromesh - just like can be the case with a manual gearbox - it gives up trying and requires a restart to move all the bits around so it can engage.

Just guessing but even Honda manual gearboxes have the odd "sticky" moment.

Might be worth posting on the forums for other bikes with DCT to see if this is unusual or not?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Try rest the ECU. This works for NC700DCT, not sure about AT.

DCT RESET

- Put the clutch in N, switch-off the engine.

- While pressing D, switch the ignition on, wait until the yellow symbol of the engine disapears in the dash-board, then let go D.

- Press in fast sequence: DDNDN.

- In the dash, the letters D and S should appear at once.

- Turn on the engine, but don´t accelerate!

- After a few seconds, the letters D and S go out

·
Registered
96 Posts
It might do this if you hit the kill switch while it was still in gear. I was reading the manual this morning and it mentioned something about you may hear some clicks and see dashes for the gear number if you turn it on when it was previously in gear - it said something like it's just shifting back to neutral, may take a few moments and make clicking noises, all which is perfectly normal.

Have a look at the manual and see whether that was the case or not?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've heard that clicking when you turn the bike off without changing to N. Also when you put the sidestand down. In both circumstances the gerbox clicks into neutral.

This happened with the bike in neutral when I started it up. The manual does discuss if the "-" comes on during startup, then turn off and restart. If the "-" persists, contact the dealer. Obviously it indicates some error condition has been encountered and is a built-in failsafe.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another small issue today with my DCT. Not quite as serious as reported in the post warning about DCT.
Commuting home today, encountered about 5 minutes of torrential rain. Was in heavy traffic so riding in manual mode changing gears with the paddles. Changed back to S2 when the traffic reduced. Was thinking about the issue highlighted in other posts about the water intrusion in the left switchblock so I tried the up and down paddles. Neither was working. Tried for a couple of kms then pulled over, turned off the bike and back on. Problem resolved, changed via the paddles as expected.
Not sure if the problem was related to water in the switchblock but seems coincidental.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Thanks for letting us know.

Seems rain might well be an Achilles Heel for the AT DCT then - or rather the left grip (and maybe the spokes on all models ?!) Somewhat ironic given the bike's intended usage.

I remember BMW having this sort of issue a while back and thinking "BMWs shouldn't be having this problem - I've never had it on a Japanese bike"... I wonder if Honda poached any BMW people?!

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
This happened to me after the bike was not ridden for about 2 weeks. Power off reset didn't work for me but moving the bike forward and backward a few feet did work and then it started and the - was replaced with N like normal. I have about 2050 miles on the bike.

The issue hasn't come back up again since that instance.

Post 246 in this thread: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/the-crf1000l-africa-twin-problem-thread.1131281/page-13 ...

...mentions that not letting the bike switch to N before shutdown could put it in this state during startup. My bike is usually killed by the kickstand then I hit the thumb switch and then turn off the key. Perhaps I need to adjust my shutdown sequence?

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
After riding yesterday and today I can report that if you use the kickstand or the kill switch the bike doesn't always shift into N after the bike dies. I'm changing my shut off procedure to stop>switch to N>kill switch>kickstand>key-off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts