Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight was the night I confirmed the Twin has perfectly mediocre headlights. It's like Honda built one of the most advanced motorcycles ever, and they got the headlights from 1982. Anyways, I'll be putting some Diode Dynamics fog and driving lights on to help out, as soon as some are back in stock somewhere.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Agree lol , its like the horn, tail/brake light, & side stand. These 3 items should all be made adjustable.
Tubeless wheels should be the standard, tubes should be offered as an option.
What about front & rear camera option?
Surely at a factory level these would not cost a lot to integrate.
For 20/21 models your charging 25 to 30 % more.
"Come on Honda"
edit: hang on my bourbon's run dry

Reactions: JamieMac

·
Registered
72 Posts
I find the headlight is decent some 15-20 feet away about 6 feet high and brights are fantastic long distance, and cornering lights effective. Maybe it was to avoid target fixation? But the low area around the bike is so barely illuminated which makes sudden potholes you can’t resolve until they’re **** close etc really hard to see at night. Just installed some SW motech fog lights with their bracket set just below the horn to deal with this, instead of where the oem light bar would put them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Reading this thread has made me realise that I still haven't ridden my 2017 AT in the dark, and I've just reached 1,250miles since getting it in March. So I don't yet have an opinion of my lighting. But if it's anything like the horn... :LOL:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Tonight I finally got some miles in with the 2021 ATAS and my new SW-Motech fog lights. The dealer mounted them low just below the horn on SW-Motech's bar mount, when they could've mounted them to the OEM light bar higher up. Anyone have advice that if I put them there I can angle them down for the same effect? I'm concerned the low mounting option will make them more fragile in drops or off road usage.

For now I'm sticking with them where they are low, the change is enormous. I'd insist that the fog lights should be (and I understand for legal reasons probably can't be) stock. It's a MASSIVE game changer for being able to see around the front of the bike and avoid the worst of potholes. Granted, the ATAS can take any bump you throw at it for most part, but here in NYC some cavities in the road are incredibly destructive, not so much potholes as imploded craters. I never felt comfortable riding the bike at night before but now after throwing it around some dense urban roads and highways with no traffic feel totally comfortable with it. The stock headlamp leads a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
2020 ATAS ES DCT and a few more
345 Posts
I might have agreed with you if it was the 2018 ATAS as only one light works on low. Are your headlights adjusted properly? My 2020 ATAS really lights up the road on low or high. Not to mention the cornering lights are very effective in most situations as well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I might have agreed with you if it was the 2018 ATAS as only one light works on low. Are your headlights adjusted properly? My 2020 ATAS really lights up the road on low or high. Not to mention the cornering lights are very effective in most situations as well.
The only adjustment in the 2020-2021 user manual is for the cornering lights? Which work great. As I said before, I find the headlight to be very good and effective about 10 feet out in front of the bike, the brights incredible. But the area just in front of the bike the illumination is low. Problem's been solved with the fog lights which legal or not I am running for visibility too. How am I supposed to adjust it? (The suspension is great if you ask me not gonna play with the sag).

·
Registered
2020 ATAS ES DCT and a few more
345 Posts
On mine, I have very even illumination from about 10 feet out for quite a ways on low. Maybe your sag is what is causing the issue. Maybe there is some off on your bike, or somehow better on mine. The lights on mine, are better than those on my K1600GT even with factory aux lights on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
On mine, I have very even illumination from about 10 feet out for quite a ways on low. Maybe your sag is what is causing the issue. Maybe there is some off on your bike, or somehow better on mine. The lights on mine, are better than those on my K1600GT even with factory aux lights on.
Yeah I been saying same thing - ten feet out or so it’s great and bright is killer, but until that spot it’s very faint, even my scooter does a better job at near proximity. Great on highway but sucks for city potholes etc. but fog lights fixed it no problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I find the headlight is decent some 15-20 feet away about 6 feet high and brights are fantastic long distance, and cornering lights effective. Maybe it was to avoid target fixation? But the low area around the bike is so barely illuminated which makes sudden potholes you can’t resolve until they’re **** close etc really hard to see at night. Just installed some SW motech fog lights with their bracket set just below the horn to deal with this, instead of where the oem light bar would put them.
Why cant some computer whiz find a way to make the cornering lights on the Adventure optional with a bypass so they can be turned on when zipping across the desert.

·
Registered
979 Posts
If you've ridden bike from 1982 (or the 80s), I think the comparison is a bit extreme. The lights on the AT are quite a bit better than those, but could be brighter over longer distance. Is that to do with standards or is it a design flaw? Not sure. Maybe they are only allowed to be so bright to avoid dazzle for oncoming traffic. That being said, add some driving/fog lights and it's like riding in the daytime all the time - my Denali D4s make for a nice bright view at night.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There is the Federal vehicle safety standards that all vehicle manufacturers must follow to sell a vehicle in USA, then the states have a say also, specifically California that vehicle safety standards that are more restrictive than federal laws.

·
Super Moderator
6,419 Posts
Many similar laws are mirrored in Canada too, but mostly on a province-by-province basis.

Enforcing them is another issue and sometimes challenging.

Nevertheless, vehicles owners who selfishly take the chance and "bolt on" mods that can be illegally unsafe to other drivers/riders on the road should be prepared to undo their craft when caught and pay any applicable fines.

Exception: Coal-rolling diesel prick-up trucks should be simply crushed at the wreckers, the owner fined and also pay for the crushing fee. A lot of riders/drivers would be very pleased I am sure, as well as pregnant women, trees, birds and bunnies.

·
Premium Member
1998 Valkyrie, 2017 Africa Twin, 2002 Vulcan, 2007 KLR, 1970 550 Suzuki L
132 Posts
Hey Guys
If you are not satisfied with the stock lights , then stick on a pair of Rigid lights. They are so bright even a blind person can see the road. But use them as bright lights and turn them off meeting tragic because they will blind them and they may run into you.

Enjoy the Ride
Ruff Rider

·
Registered
72 Posts
While dealing with my service nightmare I found this in the 2020 manual that I never noticed before, pg 284 - where the heck are these knobs??

·
Premium Member
1998 Valkyrie, 2017 Africa Twin, 2002 Vulcan, 2007 KLR, 1970 550 Suzuki L
132 Posts
I tried adjusting mine but it was just a compromise.
If you install the Rigids they will shine out the stock lights.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts