Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for my first ride on my new 2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sport ES DCT yesterday and all I can say is WOW. I live in Manitoba, Canada and have never driven one of my bikes in March before other then playing in the snow on previous dirt bikes. I've had the bike sitting in the garage since February 21 so it was driving me nuts. It got up to around 11C and the roads were clear so I thought why not. I still had a leather snowmobile suit from my snowmobile days so I dressed warm and headed out. By some of the lakes and rivers the temperature was only about 3C so I had to turn up the heated grips a few times. I was impressed with every thing about the bike. I am really sold on the DCT but put it in the Sport mode as others have said because it shifts pretty early in drive mode. I will say that the electronics will take me awhile to remember how to change everything. I put on around 100 kms so it was a nice ride considering the temperature for this time of year. It was great to see a few other bikes on the road so I wasn't the only one itching for a ride. I'm still waiting for a lot of my add on Honda accessories and the Dealer had dates on it but that changed with the mess that's going on. At least we haven't been prevented from going for a ride here yet but that could change. I live in a small town in a rural area so there are not lots of people around. I've driven lots of different bikes over the last 50+ years and when I heard about this new bike it checked all the boxes for me. The only other thing that might have been nice is a shaft drive but its no big deal for me. It was a short ride but I quickly concluded that the comfort and performance was far superior to any of the last few bikes I had in every way. I feel it would make most prospective buyers very happy. I think that Honda finally listened to the majority of the Africa Twin riders this time around.
Stay Safe and Healthy
Perry

·
Super Moderator
6,346 Posts
A big (+1) Canoe. And another (+1) for wishing for a shaft drive.

Congratulations! Nice to read that you enjoyed the outing on your new '20 ATAS ES DCT.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,975 Posts
A big (+1) Canoe. And another (+1) for wishing for a shaft drive.

Congratulations! Nice to read that you enjoyed the outing on your new '20 ATAS ES DCT.
I personally wouldn’t want a shaft drive, but that’s just me..

·
Registered
115 Posts
I went for my first ride on my new 2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sport ES DCT yesterday and all I can say is WOW. I live in Manitoba, Canada and have never driven one of my bikes in March before other then playing in the snow on previous dirt bikes. I've had the bike sitting in the garage since February 21 so it was driving me nuts. It got up to around 11C and the roads were clear so I thought why not. I still had a leather snowmobile suit from my snowmobile days so I dressed warm and headed out. By some of the lakes and rivers the temperature was only about 3C so I had to turn up the heated grips a few times. I was impressed with every thing about the bike. I am really sold on the DCT but put it in the Sport mode as others have said because it shifts pretty early in drive mode. I will say that the electronics will take me awhile to remember how to change everything. I put on around 100 kms so it was a nice ride considering the temperature for this time of year. It was great to see a few other bikes on the road so I wasn't the only one itching for a ride. I'm still waiting for a lot of my add on Honda accessories and the Dealer had dates on it but that changed with the mess that's going on. At least we haven't been prevented from going for a ride here yet but that could change. I live in a small town in a rural area so there are not lots of people around. I've driven lots of different bikes over the last 50+ years and when I heard about this new bike it checked all the boxes for me. The only other thing that might have been nice is a shaft drive but its no big deal for me. It was a short ride but I quickly concluded that the comfort and performance was far superior to any of the last few bikes I had in every way. I feel it would make most prospective buyers very happy. I think that Honda finally listened to the majority of the Africa Twin riders this time around.
Stay Safe and Healthy
Perry
Lock down for me, only Blood running to use the bike. No non essential trips for me.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,975 Posts
Lock down for me, only Blood running to use the bike. No non essential trips for me.
We’re in lock down too, but I gotta go to work. On the bright side I do ride the he AT in when the weather says ok

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am only a key worker for the blood runners charity - The contruction compamy I work for rightly suspended works. Its been great sunny weather in the UK!!

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,975 Posts
sunny weather in the UK!!
OMG! No!

a plague

pubs closed in Ireland

“Sunny days” in the UK

It’s surely the end of days....
Just kidding
We had very little snow this winter so I rode a lot (y)

Reactions: Relhok

·
Administrator
3,288 Posts
Must, have, shaft.

But the AT will do, ... for now.
Just for the sake of discussion. Why must you have a shaft? I was not overly impressed with the shaft when I had one. It adds 50lbs or so of weight and causes a little shaft jacking. I know there is low maintenance, but it just isn't a selling point for me. For those who feel it is a "must-have," elaborate. I am genuinely curious. In other words, what is it that I have missed?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would also be interested on why Shaft over Chain for this Honda. I came from a 2006 ST1300 (Shaft), than a 2018 GW DCT (Shaft) & 2017 AT DCT and now a 2020 AT AS DCT
I've also been informed, that since I've been riding the last 3 Honda DCT, I'm not having as much fun as those riding the Manual version of those bikes. Why???

·
Super Moderator
6,346 Posts
That's about the only thing that will be missed by me. All my previous bikes were shaft drives, the AT is my first chain bike.
I hear ya bro.

I have been shaftless for about 11 years now.

I would give up 5 AT hp for a shaft drive. I just don't want to think about the final drive. I also think it looks good (at least Honda's and Yamaha's implementation), and I never experienced "shaft bounce" on the street sports. I did on the liter+ V-twins, but the torque came on strong at start-up and it was irresistible, so some bounce was unavoidable under these heavy conditions.

·
Administrator
3,288 Posts
I like chains. Much more direct power and you don't have the weight etc. of the shaft. The Africa Twin is already about 50lbs too heavy and a shaft drive would add about 50 more.

I like chain maintenance. Weird I know. But I find it a little zen-like and it gives you the time to get up close and personal with the bike and check everything out. It also affords the opportunity to tweak the drive ratios if you so desire.

To me, the shaft has the advantage of being low maintenance if that is your primary goal, but is heavy and generally a little inefficient. Shaft jacking isn't as much as an issue as it once was, particularly with the BMW's who probably do it better than anyone. But I can't say I miss not having one since selling my Explorer.

Also, when something goes wrong with the shaft drive it is a freaking nightmare and things went wrong with that Explorer a couple of times, resulting in months spent in the shop and a legal tiff with Triumph.

I know everyone has their own preferences, which is what makes us all different. But chain for me, please :)

Edit: I do agree about the belt though. Not the damned belt :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Shaft drive and 40 more HP would make the 2020 the perfect bike for me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For me the main reason and probably the only reason is chain maintenance. Over the years I've had my fair share of dirt bikes that require a lot of chain maintenance depending where you drive. As I've gotten older I don't enjoy chain maintenance like I use to. That's it, nothing more. I also had lots of different 4WD ATV's which are really a type of shaft drive and never had any problems with them. Considering where they had been and what they had pulled I'm amazed I never had any issues with them. Any shaft drives I've had, it seems like you just drive and forget about them which is something you can't say about a chain. I do like the new bike so much that it won't take me long to forget about the down side of chain maintenance.

·
Administrator
3,288 Posts
I have come to be at peace with chain maintenance after my wife shamed me into it. I used to just ignore the chain and chain maintenance almost completely. I used to laugh when I would go to the dealer for a service and they would say "Your chain and sprockets look good, keep doing whatever it is you have been doing." Umm OK. I can do that for sure :)

But my wife is really good about doing hers and made me feel guilty :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts