Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,047 Posts
Nice the works lol and do you use 93 gas
No, not unless they have ethanol free 93. Sometimes Premiums the only ethanol free one. Otherwise the Africa Twin is a cheap date. She does just fine drinking the low grade stuff.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
To the best of my knowledge only Torque Control can be temporarily changed for the preset modes, not Power or Engine Breaking. Have you been able to change these in the preset modes ?

I just figured out how to set USER mode. After my head clears I will try the other modes. Since the other modes default to factory settings when the bike shuts off, I confined myself to the one that saves the settings to be sure I got it right. My last bike had ABS which was only selectable by pulling both ABS fuses.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I just figured out how to set USER mode. After my head clears I will try the other modes. Since the other modes default to factory settings when the bike shuts off, I confined myself to the one that saves the settings to be sure I got it right. My last bike had ABS which was only selectable by pulling both ABS fuses.
Yeah, Honda could had done a better job on the user interface and the organization of the riding parameters. I am not convinced they are done iterating on a better presentation - if their business allows it.

·
Super Moderator
1,047 Posts
I tried the preset modes again today. Doesn't seem to be any way to set anything other than Traction Control in the preset modes as far as I can tell.

User Mode you just press Mode for a couple of seconds and it starts to flash. Presets I get nothing other than I can use the T switch to temporarily adjust TC.

If I am missing something let me know, it would be nice to be able to do it!

·
Registered
144 Posts
To the best of my knowledge only Torque Control can be temporarily changed for the preset modes, not Power or Engine Breaking. Have you been able to change these in the preset modes ?

I stand corrected. I tried altering the settings in Tour, Urban and Gravel modes. Torque was the only one permitting a change and it did revert back to factory default on shut down and restart. At lest User does allow changing power, engine braking and torque and retains those settings through multiple restarts until the rider decides to modify it again. Honda owner manuals were much easier and fun to read despite the poor Japanese to English translations.

·
Super Moderator
1,047 Posts
I stand corrected. I tried altering the settings in Tour, Urban and Gravel modes. Torque was the only one permitting a change and it did revert back to factory default on shut down and restart. At lest User does allow changing power, engine braking and torque and retains those settings through multiple restarts until the rider decides to modify it again. Honda owner manuals were much easier and fun to read despite the poor Japanese to English translations.
Thanks for the reply! I was thinking earlier today that I should follow up and see if you had been successful in modifying Power and Engine Breaking in any of the preset modes. I wasn't sure if was missing something in how I was trying to do it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I was thinking earlier today that I should follow up and see if you had been successful in modifying Power and Engine Breaking in any of the preset modes. I wasn't sure if was missing something in how I was trying to do it.

Now that the initial information overload has settled, the electronics on the bike are not quite as intimidating. As long as the display shows the information I want most, all is good. The additional information is a bonus but not a high priority. Long term the owner's manual may move from under the seat to a safer location indoors. Until then under the seat is where it stays.

·
Super Moderator
1,047 Posts
Now that the initial information overload has settled, the electronics on the bike are not quite as intimidating. As long as the display shows the information I want most, all is good. The additional information is a bonus but not a high priority. Long term the owner's manual may move from under the seat to a safer location indoors. Until then under the seat is where it stays.
Mine is indoors, but I do have a pdf version I carry on my phone in case I need to access of away from home :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Cuchulainn said:

Mine is indoors, but I do have a pdf version I carry on my phone in case I need to access of away from home :)

(+1) Ditto.
Thanks for the suggestion. I never thought of that even though I have done it for some other devices. I always found it easier to work from a hard copy when flipping back and forth between pages. Doing the same with an electronic copy is frustrating for me. Keep in mind I grew up when a phone belonged on a wall or a desk. From time to time I think it was better that way. I even remember the infamous party line which resulted in everyone knowing everyone's business. No secrets there as many found out. Now multi party phone conversations are an additional charge.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Need? Every 8K. But I have a maintenance package with mine. So I drop it into the dealer every 4K to have the Crankcase Breather and Spark Arrester cleaned and they change the oil while they have it. So, mine is changed every 4K.

Although I suspect Honda Engineers kind-a know what they're doing in the creation of or , refinement of any of their products. The thought of EIGHT THOUSAND MILES between oil changes, on an engine that runs close to or right at 4,000 rpms @ 65 mph, AND, of course in a motorcycle general operation, the engine oil IS ALSO the transmission oil, and runs both a regular clutch and the DCT clutch, that the oil changes would not have such LONG span of mileage and or time, between them. I'm definitely old school, where oil changes on about 99.999999% of the vehicles/motorcycles/trucks etc. when I was younger, a few thousand years ago, were right at 3,000 miles.

But, I know, I know, oils and engine parts have been improved drastically over all these years so, longevity and or durability of engine oils is substantially longer, even under higher RPMs and or rugged use. One more thing, in the manual it states that, even though the oil changes are done at 8,000 mile intervals, the oil and DCT filters are only to be changed at every OTHER oil change. Well, again, Honda pretty much knows what they're doing but, to me, to leave those filters in there for 16,000 miles of the type of engine operation an AT goes through, I just don't like it.

To me, oil and filters are cheap. The engine IS NOT. So, like you, that has yours done at 4K intervals, I'll probably do the same.
Scott

·
Registered
341 Posts
My grandpa changed the oil in his Model A Ford at 1000 miles and always used 40-weight non-detergent, so that's what I always use in my AT--not. Sometimes you can loosen up a little and believe the engineers.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Anyone remember when Mobil used to toute 25,000 miles between oil changes for Mobil1 full synthetic, before someone in marketing said "Opps; that doesn't sell as much oil as we had hoped..."?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi CarlJr, welcome to the forums.

I got my new AT recently as well and went thru just what you are, not being able to really figure out MODE, how to get rid of "Jumpy", and what does Traction control do?

I got rid of Jumpy by setting the mode to GRAVEL Preset - P3/EB3/T6.
I am guessing you have figured out how to go to MODE settings, put the cursor on what functions you want to change, use the up/down arrows to do so, and menu button again, once in the mode to scroll thru the P/EB/T sections.

You should stop the bike to change riding modes.

If you want to use the USER power mode setting; try P/3 (which stretches out your throttle range, so the bike doesn't leave without you), the least amount of power you can get.
It's still PLENTY.
Set engine braking for 2 or 3, the higher the number the slower its slows down, differences are subtle to a degree.
I like 3.

Traction at 6 keeps your rear wheel from spinning when you get on it.
Traction at 1 or off, gravel goes flying!
You can adjust Traction on-the-fly, by using the finger pull ring on the clutch side handgrip facing the front end of the bike. VERY handy!

To test out torque, find a bit of gravel, and give the bike a little goose in 1st gear.
If you don't throw much gravel you have a higher traction setting 4-6.
If you shut it off, you throw lots.
I leave it at 6 for now, I'm just learning.

If others above have said the same thing, I'm sorry to reiterate, but I just wanted to type
this to confirm it all in MY head as well.

I struggled a lot with the Menu and options, but Now I'm pretty comfortable, with power.

Putting the bike in the weakest mode, is the least scary, and will make up for your lack of new bike skills.
Don't worry, you will still have plenty of fun.

Later when you go to Touring mode, you will be surprised!

(FIXED TORQUE/TRACTION ERRORS)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong. I thought USER, URBAN and GRAVEL could all be changed temporarily but revert back to factory default once the ignition is turned off. USER retains whatever settings are selected when the bike is shut down and applies the saved settings when USER mode is next used.
I think you're right, I've done that, and the settings stayed till I turned it off.
But it was in my first days, and I wasn't yet able to tell what was going on..

·
Super Moderator
1,047 Posts
I think you're right, I've done that, and the settings stayed till I turned it off.
But it was in my first days, and I wasn't yet able to tell what was going on..
If you can recall how you may have done it, let us know.

We have both tried to adjust settings in the preset modes since that post, but have been unsuccessful in adjusting anything other than Traction Control in the presets.

Power and Engine Breaking we have only been able to adjust for User mode.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you can recall how you may have done it, let us know.

We have both tried to adjust settings in the preset mode since that post, but have been unsuccessful in adjusting but Traction Control in the presets.

Power and Engine Breaking we have only been able to adjust mode for User.

As I think back, it was Traction (I've been calling it Torque...sorry), that was the only parameter that I did try to adjust. So, no wonder. I can't go test right now, because I'm supposted to be homebound with a concussion (I took a short ride today). Non-bike related.

I DO remember trying to change parameters on the fly, like an idiot! I hadn't found my manual yet, didn't know you had to stop. :rolleyes:
I remember the setting flashing after I modified them, then, as soon as i'd use the clutch, they stopped. But I don't remember if they reverted back to preset or stayed with my changes. Probably did NOT.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the Torque/Traction thing, I've edited my post.
I knew I was too much a newb to really be saying all that, but it's good now see...
I'm learning.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts