Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had a new metric bike before. How many of you are bringing your bikes in for the first service at 600 miles?

I looked in my shop manual and it looks like it is just an oil change. Is there anything else important (like computer work or anything) they do during that service? If it's just dumping the oil, I'll do it myself and put a couple of hundred bucks towards gear.:)

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'll follow this as I'm considering the same thing. It's not worth the $$ to have them drop the oil and change the filter.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just changed the oil and filter, adjusted the cables and the chain. My dealer says that is all they do and recommended I do it myself to save a few $$.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have owned many new motorcycles and snowmobiles over the years and never took any of them in for service just do oil changes
,lube ,adjustments to cables and linkages,save all receipts,ride.

I do recommend using manufacturers oil and filter during warranty period and once that is over use what you want.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm new to doing any kind of maintenance on a bike. Do you guys think the AT is accessible enough for a beginner with a service manual? I'd like to save some money ($200ish, I've been told by the dealer) but I don't want to screw something up due to inexperience.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm new to doing any kind of maintenance on a bike. Do you guys think the AT is accessible enough for a beginner with a service manual? I'd like to save some money ($200ish, I've been told by the dealer) but I don't want to screw something up due to inexperience.

If you have a service manual, the proper tools and know how to follow directions you should have no problems. In all likelihood you will do a better job than the dealer. It is your motorcycle and you should take pride in the maintenance. The dealer will almost never read the manual before doing service. They have done these services so many times that they do not feel the need to see if your bike needs anything special. Hence the aforementioned DCT filter being omitted.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've never had a new metric bike before. How many of you are bringing your bikes in for the first service at 600 miles?

I looked in my shop manual and it looks like it is just an oil change. Is there anything else important (like computer work or anything) they do during that service? If it's just dumping the oil, I'll do it myself and put a couple of hundred bucks towards gear.:)

Thanks for your time.

Yup, just change the oil and filter. Check tires, chain, cables, fluids, brake pads, wheel bearings and Headstock bearings... Brake lights, running lights, turn signals... Just a quick visual inspection. Changing the oil and filter will take longer than the rest.

And when your done give yourself a good pat on the back for a job well done.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you have a service manual, the proper tools and know how to follow directions you should have no problems. In all likelihood you will do a better job than the dealer. It is your motorcycle and you should take pride in the maintenance. The dealer will almost never read the manual before doing service. They have done these services so many times that they do not feel the need to see if your bike needs anything special. Hence the aforementioned DCT filter being omitted.
Thank you for your input, I suspected that my "stronger motivation" would lead to a better attention to detail. I think it will be very satisfying to tackle this myself.

·
Registered
22 Posts
With a service manual it should be no problem. I had the dealer do it since I was also getting heated grips and the center stand installed and didn't feel like taking half the bike apart to install the grips (that should have been a factory option!). I'll scan my inspection check sheet, so you'll have an idea what the dealer actually checks - or at least is supposed to check.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With a service manual it should be no problem. I had the dealer do it since I was also getting heated grips and the center stand installed and didn't feel like taking half the bike apart to install the grips (that should have been a factory option!). I'll scan my inspection check sheet, so you'll have an idea what the dealer actually checks - or at least is supposed to check.
That would be perfect!

·
Registered
50 Posts
So you've done your own first service and 500 miles down the road a mechanical problem appears. Is the dealer going to invalidate your warranty?

·
Registered
60 Posts
So you've done your own first service and 500 miles down the road a mechanical problem appears. Is the dealer going to invalidate your warranty?
Nope... Dealer has to show that your negligence is the cause of the issue. Sure if you bring you bike in with 1 qt of oil in it and a seized engine they are not going to replace it. If you do proper maintenance, as prescribed by the FSM you will be fine.

If the dealer is going to F()@% you on a warranty claim because you do your own maintenance then they will F()@% you on other issues as well. If this is the case find a new dealer.

Google "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" if you still have doubts/questions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just performed the first service to my new AT. It cost me about $60.00 for (2) filters, 5 Quarts of oil, a new o-ring for the DCT filter and new squash washers.
It took me about 30 Minutes.

My dealer told me to document all services and keep all receipts for parts you purchased. This will go a long way if you have a warranty claim and help prove you did the required maintenance.

Good luck.

Paul

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just performed the first service to my new AT. It cost me about $60.00 for (2) filters, 5 Quarts of oil, a new o-ring for the DCT filter and new squash washers.
It took me about 30 Minutes.

My dealer told me to document all services and keep all receipts for parts you purchased. This will go a long way if you have a warranty claim and help prove you did the required maintenance.

Good luck.

Paul
Can you post the OEM part numbers for all those items?
TIA

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think warranty rules may be different in the UK as I asked my dealer today if I bought oil and filter off them for my first service would the warranty be valid and they said NO

I do not want to risk it and will be booking the bike in. Consumers seem to have much more protection in the states.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can you post the OEM part numbers for all those items?
TIA
I know this is a few weeks old, but here is what I have collected so far:
15412-MGS-D21 DCT Oil Filter
91302-PA9-003 O-Ring for DCT
94109-1200 Drain Plug Crush Washer, 2 required
15410-MFJ-D01 Engine Oil Filter
17210-MJP-G50 Air Filter, 2 required

1 - 20 of 29 Posts