Still wondering if I made the right choice
Half the time I like it half the time its not doing what I want it to do

·
Registered
429 Posts
Got a Grey DTC a few weeks ago
Assuming you were riding manual MC prior to the DCT?
Almost everyone with manual shifting experience has this perceived problem when introduced to the DCT.
It will never do 'what you want it to do'. Some people swear you can "teach" the ECM by rider input using manual gear toggle S/W etc.
In my two years riding with the NC700X DCT (same implementation)
The shift mapping in the ECM remains the same as when I first twisted the throttle. But you can tweak the clutch behavior by reinitializing the oil pressure threshold values that the ECM actually stores into memory.
Thereafter, the ECM only adjusts shifts by taking several readings from multiple sensors according to rider input- primarily throttle input and VS(vehicle speed).

If you want the AT to shift as you would like it to,
you need to take some time and experiment by varying your riding style
and adapting your style to the DCT.
She will have it no other way.

As for me, never shifted manual bikes except to pass MSF license endorsement class, two years ago.
So I learned how to ride a MC on a DCT. This turns out to have been
a very good choice for me and would highly recommend to new riders.
Honda hit the mark and I am betting they will grab the new rider market with this technology however small that market may be.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Why not just put it in manual mode and shift as you like?? I couldn't be happier with the DCT. With (3) different sport modes, drive mode and option to shift as you like, I don't know what else Honda could have possibly done? I feel they nailed it so far in my 800 miles Ive used the DCT.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Well, instead of three pre-mapped shift points and hope to satisfy someone, big Red could have given us at least 2 user customizeable modes (just one each on & off road).
If they had done that, all the confusion and mystery of the DCT 'brain' would have gone quiet and everyone would be the merrier.

And the other thing is instead of the parking brake, we should have gotten
a clutch lever on the RHS.
Why big H did you take that away from the masses? Stay happy with an optional foot-shifter? Nice try, but unless its free, no thanks.
:grin2:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would have been much happier with a center stand and 12v accessory outlet.....With time I'm sure there will be something aftermarket available to adjust shift points, and will void warranty. Not sure if this is correct or not, but Ive never heard of any manufacturer auto or bike that allows you to adjust shift points. The thing I get confused with is people thinking this is a race bike, how much more is needed? When I think Honda, I think reliability, thats what sold me. I will admit there are times when going 40+ where the power is not there because its in 6th gear, but i just hit the (-) button a couple times and its got all the power I need.... Just my opinion :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Why not just put it in manual mode and shift as you like?? I couldn't be happier with the DCT. ....
I am probably happier than you that H decided to have the DCT option on the AT. I have a few more miles on the DCT- 15k in about 24 month.
zero on the AT, but that will change soon:grin2:
My point is that it was so simple to have it as a feature. It's just some
additional lines of code and chips on the board.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be this old dog learns new tricks very slowly

I need to work on slow speed maneuvers to increase my confidence but I want my crash bars on first, I have them on back order with Touratech.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am taking a weekend trip to northern Ca. this weekend so that should give me another 20 or so hours on the bike.

I still have yet to run it in full manual mode so I will work on that this weekend also

·
Registered
429 Posts
I am taking a weekend trip to northern Ca. this weekend so that should give me another 20 or so hours on the bike.

I still have yet to run it in full manual mode so I will work on that this weekend also
IMO, the AT was made for a trip like yours. Don't forget to jump off the pavement as soon as you see that dirt road leading to nowhere.
Please post some photos of your trip.
Although my Rally Red comes in next week,
I am dying of anticipation here.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Got a Grey DTC a few weeks ago
Use manual mode if you want to control when the bike shifts. And the great thing is, it will do the monotonous downshifting chores for you when you are approaching stop signs, traffic lights, etc., if you just apply the brakes.

Around town and relaxed touring I'm finding S1 works well most of the time. I can always intervene manually if I feel the need but I usually don't have to.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Not sure if this is correct or not, but Ive never heard of any manufacturer auto or bike that allows you to adjust shift points. The thing I get confused with is people thinking this is a race bike, how much more is needed? When I think Honda, I think reliability, thats what sold me.
Surprise! You got a bike that adjusts shift points and it does it automatically whether you like it or not.
Reliability is a given with H, but the great thing about a DCT is that it has been programmed to execute up and down shifts at the optimum moment all the time. This is not a static mapping where it shifts at predetermined rpm's, it is dynamic! Happens in all modes.
This feature has been available from the beginning. New to the AT is the incline/decline detection and again it shifts accordingly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just finished a 528 mile weekend ride to Lassen National Park
I tried the manual shift for the first time there in the park
I am OK with my choice of the DTC now
My bike ran flawlessly from 47 deg, F to 105 deg. F over the whole ride
Crash bars, panniers, and handle bar guards and I am on my way
Planning a ~2+K trip this fall to the southwest US to hit a bunch of national parks
I will see how she holds up

·
Registered
429 Posts
just finished a 528 mile weekend ride to Lassen National Park
I tried the manual shift for the first time there in the park
I am OK with my choice of the DTC now
My bike ran flawlessly from 47 deg, F to 105 deg. F over the whole ride
Crash bars, panniers, and handle bar guards and I am on my way
Planning a ~2+K trip this fall to the southwest US to hit a bunch of national parks
I will see how she holds up
There you go! Beam me up "Scotty".>:)
Could not resist.

When you are in the SE, you must stop by North GA mountains.
My AT will meet yours at Two Wheels of Suches, anytime.
PM me when you have dates planned.
Darn, I thought you were planning trip to SEast.
Well, my offer stands to anyone riding the Africa Twin.

Let's ride!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts