Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding around Asia for about 15 years and recently moved to the Baltics. I bought a second hand AT last fall and had the 12,000 km service done at the dealership right before I put it away for the winter. Now it's at 18,000 km, and I have about 2 months or so of riding before I park or again.

What do you all do before putting it away? I do know to either take the battery out or plug it in to a battery tender. Should I take it in for another service? Change the oil early?

I'm at a bit of a loss- I can do some basic maintenance myself, but I'm no expert (yet).

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you are not in the middle of a city, you should probably put a wad of steel wool in the muffler end. Keeps the little critters from making a nest in there.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Trickle charger for maintaining your battery. Some fuel additive to keep the fuel from going bad in the tank. Check tire pressures and make sure they are right. You can do maintenance like oil change and oil filter or wait until spring. Turn out the lights in the garage and wait for spring.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Fuel stabilizer for sure. And fill the tank as much as possible so there's no air space for moisture to condense on inside tank.
Trickle charger - no need to remove battery.
If storing in an area where rodents can get at, then plug the exhaust (as mentioned above), and even more importantly is to plug the air intake.
If it's going to be stored for more than a couple of months, and on a cold floor, check tire pressures about half way thru the season. The cold sucks the air out of the tires, especially a cold concrete floor. Or move the bike slightly so the tires are not contacting the ground on the same spot all winter. That could lead to flat spots.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts