Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It certainly looks like water... but Im doubtful that it actually is. Time will tell.. if it is water then the drops should disappear and the inside of the display should become 'misted' so to speak. We'll see.

A series of drips.. with droplets at their base in the central upper third of the Display.

Just been over to the dealership. They tell me this is a 'known' issue.. but rare, mine is the second example they have seen in all the 2018 models they have sold. They have taken a photograph and will be sending it to Honda for approval. They tell me.. that it only affects the 'cover' and the electronics underneath are unaffected. Though they will check them anyway. "we'll be in touch to book you in as soon as we get approval"

This on my 10 week old 2018 'Sport.

Its getting dark, so I cant take a photo for your enjoyment this evening.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got exactly the same- moisture under the display. I've asked Honda to remove it under warranty with no issues from their side.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It certainly looks like water... but Im doubtful that it actually is. Time will tell.. if it is water then the drops should disappear and the inside of the display should become 'misted' so to speak. We'll see.

A series of drips.. with droplets at their base in the central upper third of the Display.

Just been over to the dealership. They tell me this is a 'known' issue.. but rare, mine is the second example they have seen in all the 2018 models they have sold. They have taken a photograph and will be sending it to Honda for approval. They tell me.. that it only affects the 'cover' and the electronics underneath are unaffected. Though they will check them anyway. "we'll be in touch to book you in as soon as we get approval"

This on my 10 week old 2018 'Sport.

Its getting dark, so I cant take a photo for your enjoyment this evening.
Hello,

...And I thought the problem was only in the 2016 & 2017 models. I have been studying this problem for a year now. Last year, in April 2018, I changed my panel of instruments and now I have the same problem with the humidity inside the panel. I have updated to the Honda dealer and will change my panel for the second time. My point is that the Honda knows the problem and this is a construction problem and the Honda should give a solution and not change panels each year. Τhese are acceptable things for such an expensive motorbike and a motorcycle built for adventure situations.

Thank you

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was water, because a day or two later it vanished. I'm home tonight after a week in Tenerife and will see if there is any news. Last I heard. Honda had approved the work and it was just a matter of waiting for the parts to arrive. I'm going to talk to them about, perhaps using some silicone as an extra sealant around the mating edges.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It was water, because a day or two later it vanished. I'm home tonight after a week in Tenerife and will see if there is any news. Last I heard. Honda had approved the work and it was just a matter of waiting for the parts to arrive. I'm going to talk to them about, perhaps using some silicone as an extra sealant around the mating edges.
Hello,
Yes i undesrstand but will not change your all the instrument? I do not know but with this problem I have lost my confidence for this motorbike even though it's a great motorbike. The dealer told me that if you leave the motorbike in humidity, it will cause you the problem again. I do not know what to say? It is possible the Honda can not provide a solution to this problem?
Please be very much if you have something new for the solution you gave me the engineers informed me.

Thank you very much

·
Registered
7 Posts

The first photo from left is the first time 11/3/2018 that appeared the humidity
The other 2 photos are the second time that appeared the humidity.

Have a nice day

Attachments

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I've had it since day 1 on my 2017 AT and on all 3 of my NC750X bikes before that. At first I got Honda to change the displays but since it was the same on the replacements, I gave up and just put up with it.
I can understand Honda saving up modifications they know they need to make, and doing them all at once at the model year change, but all too often they seem to completely ignore easily fixed issues unless it's a safety risk. They obviously chose not to fix the leaky displays when they redesigned them for the 2018 model.
Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had it since day 1 on my 2017 AT and on all 3 of my NC750X bikes before that. At first I got Honda to change the displays but since it was the same on the replacements, I gave up and just put up with it.
I can understand Honda saving up modifications they know they need to make, and doing them all at once at the model year change, but all too often they seem to completely ignore easily fixed issues unless it's a safety risk. They obviously chose not to fix the leaky displays when they redesigned them for the 2018 model.
Mike
Hi Mike
Yes I understood my friend. Today I have the other problem again. I'm talking about the start-kill switch problem. Stall the engine after start engine . Ι changed it before 2 months but again the same problem. Oooo!!!! my got this is an adventure bike ?

Thank you very much for your informations

Pol

·
Registered
465 Posts
This is the first time I have heard of this problem. Thank you for sharing this.

For those outside of their warranty, do you think applying liquid silicone would prevent leakage/moisture build up?

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is the first time I have heard of this problem. Thank you for sharing this.

For those outside of their warranty, do you think applying liquid silicone would prevent leakage/moisture build up?
Hello my friend,
Yes unsuccessfully !!!! I do not know all my bikes have always been was Honda, the first time I have such issues. One with the instruments one with the switches. I think the quality of electrical is not the best quality in Africa Twin. I have the impression that this bike is sensitive to moisture. all the problems start from there.
Τhis with the silicone you tell me I do not know, it will discuss it with my mechanic.

Thank you very much
Pol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts