Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Where has your Africa Twin Taken you?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

i have installed an Sae wire from the battery for charging the battery. I also want this fit this same connector to my topcase, so I can charge my headset during the night when I’m on a camping trip. I’ve bought the optimate o20 cable and now need to drill a 25 Mm hole into my bumot topcase. Does anyone have any recommendations where the best place is to drill the hole and install the plug? I have attached a photoof the current situation. Preferably I would like to install the plug at botton of my topcase. All suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
221 Posts
I would drill the hole inside that front U-Channel. The one circled in red. It would prevent and water from entering from being splashed up and would also prevent it from being too noticeable. The red dot is just to show you that I mean inside the U Channel, not behind it.

Please keep us posted, this would probably help out others when you come up with a solution. (y)

·
Registered
957 Posts
I put mine on the front left just for ease of connection and disconnection. If you regularly have a passenger with a top box on then I think you're right - bottom would work best. I use mine only for commuting and just wanted a short run of wire to the power under the pillion seat. It's great to have a place to charge things on the road and I've also connected a set of top case lights in the same place on mine. Good luck with yours!

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,851 Posts
I would suggest not doing it..
I put a plug on the (pretty much useless) tool box.

But then, with my tent, my AT sleeps inside with me, so I guess you really wouldn’t want your headset or phone sitting outside all night.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would suggest not doing it..
I put a plug on the (pretty much useless) tool box.

But then, with my tent, my AT sleeps inside with me, so I guess you really wouldn’t want your headset or phone sitting outside all night.
Love to have the AT with me in tent, but unfortunately my tent is not big enough....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would drill the hole inside that front U-Channel. The one circled in red. It would prevent and water from entering from being splashed up and would also prevent it from being too noticeable. The red dot is just to show you that I mean inside the U Channel, not behind it.

View attachment 63795

Please keep us posted, this would probably help out others when you come up with a solution. (y)
That's a nice suggestion for the plug, it becomes a hassle when you have to change the wire from the plug to the charger.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put mine on the front left just for ease of connection and disconnection. If you regularly have a passenger with a top box on then I think you're right - bottom would work best. I use mine only for commuting and just wanted a short run of wire to the power under the pillion seat. It's great to have a place to charge things on the road and I've also connected a set of top case lights in the same place on mine. Good luck with yours! View attachment 63797
My guess is that the passenger still can use the pilot seat in your example. My wife is tiny and almost never accompanies me on rides 😭😔

·
Registered
957 Posts
My guess is that the passenger still can use the pilot seat in your example. My wife is tiny and almost never accompanies me on rides 😭😔
Yes. They sure can. It just means they have to watch for the plug. It’s off far enough to the side that it isn’t digging into their back or really in the way.

Reactions: Eelco

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I finally scrapped all my courage together and started drilling a considerable hole in my very new bumot topcase. Pleased with the results as you can see in the pics. Now I can switch between charging or use the 12v plug on the topcase with one cable...thanks for all the good advices I got from everybody

1 - 10 of 10 Posts