Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I fitted my new Bartubeless wheels to my 2018 AT.
This is my third attempt at going tubeless. My first was the DIY 3m marine sealant and 3M 4412N and 4411N tape method. As posted elsewhere on this forum, the rear wheel tape failed at the overlap last year on a trip to Colorado.
My second attempt was the Bartubeless wheels from Rugged Roads in the UK. Turned out they no longer sold the Bartubeless wheels, and sent me the SM Pro rims with the CWC Airtight system. This did not go well, as posted elsewhere on this forum. I returned them.
My latest attempt is the Bartubeless system from Bart Factory in Italy.
From the start, their communication and responsiveness was excellent. I had a ton of questions. They answered them all promptly and precisely. About 10 days after placing the order, my wheels arrived in the US.
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Packaging and protection was very good.

Automotive tire Wood Rim Auto part Clock

Watch Analog watch Automotive tire Tire Rim

The wheels come with the spacers pre-greased and installed as can be seen in the pics above. All that is needed is for the brake rotors, ABS pulse ring, and tires to be fitted. I did not order the cush drive, as the wheels are made so that the OEM cush drive fits the hub. And it is a perfect fit.

I am impressed with the quality of the wheels. They are EXCEL Takasago rims, Signature edition, made in 7000 series aluminum in Japan. The rubber seal feels pretty thick by touch. Fitting the brake rotors and the pulse ring could not have been easier. All holes aligned 100% perfectly. The bolts were easily hand tightened all the way to being ready for the torque wrench.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Synthetic rubber

Automotive tire Camera accessory Camera lens Cameras & optics Reflex camera

A couple of facts not readily evident on their website:
  • the rims have a slightly higher gloss than the OEM rims
  • the valve stems are nickel plated brass
  • nipples are zinc-steel; more resistant to rust than what they were previously using
  • the spokes are significantly thicker than the OEM spokes. Don't ask me about the actual size. It is very evident just by looking at them next to the OEM wheels.

The entire experience in dealing with Bart Factory was excellent. The engineering on the wheels seems flawless. The fit was perfect. I was paranoid about the spacing and fit, but the ABS and Traction control lights went off as soon as I rolled forward on my test ride yesterday.

I am very happy with my experience and with the wheels.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive tire Fuel tank

FWIW I ordered Wheelset A with the code HNAT10-WSA-KSXK - closest look to the OEM wheels, from here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The current price for Wheelset A (both wheels) is 1,404 Euros, plus 180 Euros for shipping to the US. Total was 1,584 Euros, or CAD2,096 at today's rate. Their customer support at [email protected] was very helpful.
Thanks for the info, seems like a pretty good price. I'm curious as why you went with this option over Woody's wheelworks? That's the other option I was looking at.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info, seems like a pretty good price. I'm curious as why you went with this option over Woody's wheelworks? That's the other option I was looking at.
Primarily because Woody's tubeless conversion is simply an Outex application for $279. I can do that myself for a little over $100.
Woody's will only apply that to wheels with the safety bead, which the OEM front wheel on the 2018 does not have. So I would have to buy a new front wheel from them. If I'm going to get a new front wheel, I would get a new rear wheel too. Woody's site states "No warranties on the longevity of the seal". Bartubeless has a 4 year warranty.
The Woody's price for all this would be about USD$500 more expensive than the Bartubeless system. I consider the Bartubeless tubeless conversion superior to the Outex system. So it was a no brainer for me...better solution for less money IMO.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. I was wondering about Woody's disclaimer on the tubeless wheels, and I wasn't aware of the system they use, so this is all good info. I'm going with the Bartubeless system as well!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts