Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the current rebate on pre 20 models the time was good to finally pick up an AT. I was going to go standard with DCT but a dealer in AZ had a 2019 Adventure DCT model that was less than 2018 standards being sold in the SF bay. Flying out Friday with Giant Loop panniers packed with gear, and a Mosko pannier rack to fit up the bike and run up through the Mojave and on 395 back to the bay. Then will outfit with lower crash bars, better hand guards, offroad tires, and a couple of other items to prep for the dirt.

I just sold my 2014 VStrom Adventure which I had for 5 years (which saw the Mojave, Death Valley-Titus Canyon and a few other spots) and also an 07 BMW GSA Adventure prior to that. The Strom was a fantastic bike but mostly a commuter. The GSA was a fantastic bike but just too big and gnarly for offroad. Now wanting to tour long and do a lot of offroad, I'm excited to get the AT going for the 700 mile break in ride home and then off to Mendocino after fitting it for some offroad adventures.

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
85 Posts
Welcome CAMagNoCal! I also flew to AZ, Scottsdale (Western Honda) and picked up the exact bike. Love it! Take some time and scour the forum. Tons of useful information. Enjoy and ride safe!
Pikester

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
(+1) CAMagNoCal - Welcome to the Forum, and congratulations on your AT acquisition. Enjoy severely.

Collect pics.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Are you going to be able to register it in California? I live in California as well and I understand it can be difficult to buy a new out of state vehicle and bring it into the state. If it has more than 7500 miles on it it will not be a problem.

Dan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you going to be able to register it in California? I live in California as well and I understand it can be difficult to buy a new out of state vehicle and bring it into the state. If it has more than 7500 miles on it it will not be a problem.

Dan
It's not bad. I went online and checked. There's an extra form to fill out and you pay any difference in sales tax between the county you live in and what % you paid in sales tax where you purchased it. Other than that no big deal. You can even go online to DMV and calculate the fees.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome CAMagNoCal! I also flew to AZ, Scottsdale (Western Honda) and picked up the exact bike. Love it! Take some time and scour the forum. Tons of useful information. Enjoy and ride safe!
Pikester
Yeah they are the AT store of the West for sure. So much AT inventory there. I was pretty blown away by the price. Pretty much called and gave them an immediate deposit. Very stoked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah they are the AT store of the West for sure. So much AT inventory there. I was pretty blown away by the price. Pretty much called and gave them an immediate deposit. Very stoked.
But then of course the bike will be totally underpowered and I'll have wished I spent 25k on a new R1250....according to some of my buddies (...I won't be :)

·
Registered
2017 DCT
330 Posts
Hey CAMagNoCal,

PM me if you need anything... Out in SE Phoenix suburbs, tools and a well heated garage available if you want to bolt anything on before the trip.

Cheers,

B

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey CAMagNoCal,

PM me if you need anything... Out in SE Phoenix suburbs, tools and a well heated garage available if you want to bolt anything on before the trip.

Cheers,

B
Appreciate it! Western Honda in Scottsdale. They are going to hook me up for tools for installing the luggage rack and then I'm heading out. 2 1/2 days to get home and I'm hoping to hit some fun spots on the way

1 - 9 of 9 Posts