Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the following wiring harness, hooked 'em up to fog lights and battery, and walla...LIGHTS!!!

Turned off the fog lights then ignition, and no LIGHTS. Then accidentally pressed the fog light switch button and walla...LIGHTS!!! WTHeck?!!!

Spent 4 hrs trying to figure out why the wires are live if I had the ignition turned off. How do I make the "live" wires dead, so to speak? I want power via switch only when ignition is on. What am I doing wrong?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you wired it as per the instructions the wires will always be live as you have a complete circuit from battery pos to neg broken only by the switch.

If you want "Ignition Live Only" you have to tap the relay trigger wires from a switched power source on the bike. Ideally, the connector inside the front fairing (behind the instument cluster).

·
Registered
445 Posts
You've got the right answer, above.
Could be useful to add that, depending on where you installed the relay, it could be easier to get a switched power source from the alarm connector in the back of the bike, just below the pillion seat, left side.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys.

I discovered last night that I should seriously know what I'm buying before making my purchase. LOL

And what I mean by that is this:

First, I had to research what you guys meant by "switched". Then later I discovered the Eastern Beaver I purchased came with 2 "unswitched" circuits. And it just so happens I had the RED lead connected to one of those "unswitched" circuits hence power at all times.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, I'm a dumb dumb when it comes to electrical stuff. LOL I'm new to this whole electrical stuff.

I really appreciate you guys taking the time helping me out. Thank you!

·
Registered
445 Posts
To have some useful help, you should describe what you've got and what you've done (materials, connections done, etc.).

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To have some useful help, you should describe what you've got and what you've done (materials, connections done, etc.).
I purchased the Eastern Beaver kit for the AF late last year. I'm just now installing my first accessory (fog lights). Correction, my 2nd. The 1st was the Denali SoundBomb Compact but the only thing I'm using on the PC8 for that is the "BAT" post. Nothing else.

Okay, so after discovering the Eastern Beaver has a switched/unswitched circuits, I installed the - & + wires to the switched circuits. Turned on the ignition, and no lights. What gives?

I must have spent 5 hrs checking and double checking connections and continuity. I even went as far as taking off each individual wires and hooking them up to another device to check for current and there's no problem there. Power is definitely flowing through the wires. I double checked the wire crimps, and all is good.

Except for this:
I discovered there's no continuity on the "PWR" post or even on the wire itself when the ignition is turned on. I thought "PWR" would transfer to the switched posts if I turned on the ignition (fuse installed). I checked for continuity on the connector that's in the relay and there is no continuity for the "PWR". There's definitely continuity on the "BAT" post and wire, but not on the "PWR" post/wire.

I don't know if the problem lies with the PC8's relay or just me. Most likely me but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Could someone please PLEASE help me?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Not sure I understand you correctly, but when you say there's no continuity on the "pwr" post when ignition on, then you didn't install correctly. Did you purchase just the pc8 alone, or did you get the kit specifically for the AT? If you got the kit, then it's simple plug and play - just gotta make sure you correctly attach the battery wire to "BAT" and switched wire to "PWR". If you didn't get the AT specific version, they you have to find your own switched power source and attach to "PWR" .
And make sure all fuses are good.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, so the guys at ADVrider helped me out and we discovered it was a blown OP fuse. Still unclear why that would disrupt power on the relay itself but I'm not going to argue so long as I have power. LOL

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Okay, so the guys at ADVrider helped me out and we discovered it was a blown OP fuse. Still unclear why that would disrupt power on the relay itself but I'm not going to argue so long as I have power. LOL

Thanks guys.
OP fuse could be blown by some previous "trials & errors" connection, it's pretty typical... It happens to me, too. 0:)
If you have the PC-8 kit specific for Africa Twin, power for the relay comes from the switched circuit in option connector in the back of the bike. With a blown OP fuse that connector will not have power in the switched circuit. That's the reason.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts