Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Forks and shock removed, packed up and shipped to my friends at Cogent Dynamics for some of their excellent suspension magic. .

I would love to hear a report of exactly what was done and your riding impressions when you get everything reinstalled. I have their shock spring and I'm planning on doing the fork springs, but it's tempting to go further.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will definitely make a full report here. The AT is sorely in need of improved damping!
I like the real world approach Cogent takes to suspension setup. Too many suspension guys try to apply a racing setup to a dualsport bike.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably. I have Cogent build batches of DR650 shocks for ProCycle. They send all the shock bodies out for hard anodizing. I suspect this is what the AT needs. I'll eventually chat with them about it when they get mine apart and inspected.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably. I have Cogent build batches of DR650 shocks for ProCycle. They send all the shock bodies out for hard anodizing. I suspect this is what the AT needs. I'll eventually chat with them about it when they get mine apart and inspected.
Update!
Cogent has one AT with hard anodized fork tubes currently being 'field tested'.
It will be disassembled and inspected if a few weeks to see the results.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Update!
Ooh now you've got me thinking about sending them off for the royal treatment, and here I was planning on other projects for the winter. Priorities!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Update!
Did that one have the anodizing holes in the tubes, that they re-worked, do you know? Will be interesting to see what they come back with.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry, I'm not privy to all of the details. I hope to get the whole story once the testing of the hard anodizing is done.

By the way, this is nothing new. Back in the 90s when MX bikes started using inverted forks there were a lot of problems with 'mid-stroke harshness'. Which was eventually traced to internal binding in the area of the lower triple clamp. It was so bad Suzuki tried to go back to conventional forks. The 97-98 RM forks were some of the best OEM suspension ever put on a bike - but those RMs were impossible to sell without the sexy new inverted forks on all the other brands. Eventually they worked it out because binding and wear aren't a common problem any more.
Except on our new Africa Twins...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts