Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Above is the Ft9 AT review: Thoughts? I tend to agree with the reviewer, except where he feels that the bike is lacking for onroad use. I like this guy's reviews. He is honest, not being paid by any manufacturers or vendors, and has a good twisted Canadian sense of humour.....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Interesting review, certainly highlights and praises the Africa Twin’s off-road ability to the point suggesting, that it is without competition…

Accurate appraisal of the AT’s shortcomings in relation to accessories although points out they are available, at a price. Just as well he didn’t try the heated grips.:surprise:

With regards his criticisms of road riding they are not without merit. The Africa Twin does not have the same power as some of the bigger rivals and even those with similar sized engine. Having a 21 inch wheel does affect steering in certain conditions, the GS by contrast has a 19 inch wheel…

For me, mainly road riding, having ridden extensively super sports bikes and currently commuting with a F800GS I thoroughly enjoy my leisure riding on the Africa Twin. Currently, there is no other bike would want to swap it for, irrespective of cost.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Good vid, one of many I watched last fall before I bought mine. Dude has some funny videos, must be the only English speaking guy in Montreal. I can never convince anyone to speak English with me when I'm there.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For those used to sportbikes, I can see how one would be disappointed in the AT's road performance. I have been riding Harley's for 30 years, so my bar is considerably lower. I find the bike to be one of the most comfortable on or off road I have ever ridden. Perfect ergos for me, and more power than I can use. As for the reviewer, I am a huge fan of Ryan. He is hilarious, and independent, not afraid to fairly rate gear regardless of price or hype. I something sucks, he has no problem saying so....

·
Registered
225 Posts
Interesting review, certainly highlights and praises the Africa Twin’s off-road ability to the point suggesting, that it is without competition…

Accurate appraisal of the AT’s shortcomings in relation to accessories although points out they are available, at a price. Just as well he didn’t try the heated grips.:surprise:

With regards his criticisms of road riding they are not without merit. The Africa Twin does not have the same power as some of the bigger rivals and even those with similar sized engine. Having a 21 inch wheel does affect steering in certain conditions, the GS by contrast has a 19 inch wheel…

For me, mainly road riding, having ridden extensively super sports bikes and currently commuting with a F800GS I thoroughly enjoy my leisure riding on the Africa Twin. Currently, there is no other bike would want to swap it for, irrespective of cost.
People never seem to get that, the bigger bikes have mappings, like gravel or off-road settings which they use for the appropriate situations, so basically all of these off-road mappings limit the power ! In the end it's the same but whit more electronics, more possible failures.

I like this guy's videos, but I have to say I can't understand while he says the AT has no competition off-road and that's what he mainly does, why does he own a Vstrom then, It's like saying the R1 is the best SS bike out there, and buying a S1000rr, puzzles me !

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The V-Strom was not his first choice, but was sort of a "company car" foisted on him, which he grew to like. At the time, the AT had not yet been released in the US....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts