Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m ultra cautious about looking after the wheels, only use a chain through with a double protection sleeve etc, however, I’ve noticed 3 or 4 areas on my rear black wheel, where there is paint flaking/ metal exposed. Not huge areas, but annoying. The paint must be ultra fragile. Not long bought it, and just wondered if it is a thing on the AT?
cheers & stay safe.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,976 Posts
Should post a couple of pics to show.

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
It appears Honda uses enamels on their sportier bike rims that is extremely durable to onroad/storage/weather elements, but maybe it cannot take rocks that the AT would otherwise routinely experience offroad. But it sounds like the current method is vulnerable too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
3771357B-FC9F-42E1-96DF-238CAC6133B4.jpeg

It appears Honda uses enamels on their sportier bike rims that is extremely durable to onroad/storage/weather elements, but maybe it cannot take rocks that the AT would otherwise routinely experience offroad. But it sounds like the current method is vulnerable too.
I agree. Just whacked some black nail varnish on to try to seal the small area’. Not mine incidentally 😬

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave: So to understand correctly, these "chips" were caused by storage or on/offroad use?
Not sure really. No long owned the bike, so may have been there when I got it. Never noticed them though. I suspect it’s a chain? I haven’t really used it with the lockdown here. I’ve had an Abus chain in a plastic case, in an Abus nylon sleeve, very gently passed through, not dragged. I’m certain it’s nothing I’ve done. I’m not using the chain anymore though, because the paint is obviously vulnerable to damage. Cheers

·
Registered
415 Posts
Looks like stone damage but could be anything hitting it this is what my front looks like, this happens on gravel roads where its quite deep, AT s with the anodized wheels dont mark up as bad. Next time I straighten the front rim I think I will get it black anodized.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers Mate, I’m guessing the aluminium won’t corrode too much/ look too bad. Not like it’s steel & rust. Guess it’s just an occupational hazard and I’ll just need to learn to live with it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Not sure really. No long owned the bike, so may have been there when I got it. Never noticed them though. I suspect it’s a chain? I haven’t really used it with the lockdown here. I’ve had an Abus chain in a plastic case, in an Abus nylon sleeve, very gently passed through, not dragged. I’m certain it’s nothing I’ve done. I’m not using the chain anymore though, because the paint is obviously vulnerable to damage. Cheers
I know its not the easiest thing to do and I am guilty myself tbh...but if you can attach the chain to the frame rather than the wheels.
1 it will save you from this damage
2 harder for scumbags to just take your wheel off and drag the rest to the van.
another thing I'm going to try as my chain cover is wrecked is to sleeve it in an old inner tube in the hope it lasts longer and provides protection....after lockdown of course when we can simply go to the bike shop :(

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know its not the easiest thing to do and I am guilty myself tbh...but if you can attach the chain to the frame rather than the wheels.
1 it will save you from this damage
2 harder for scumbags to just take your wheel off and drag the rest to the van.
another thing I'm going to try as my chain cover is wrecked is to sleeve it in an old inner tube in the hope it lasts longer and provides protection....after lockdown of course when we can simply go to the bike shop :(
Sounds like a good idea. My chains in a shrink wrapped plastic sleeve, and the nylon sleeve over that. I try to keep it clean. I guess you only need a bit of grit or something, and with the weight of the thing....

·
Registered
371 Posts
This looks like corrosion that is caused from brake dust. If it gets damp it eats through the paint or anodizing and starts to pit the aluminum or plating on the steel.

·
Registered
148 Posts
This looks like corrosion that is caused from brake dust. If it gets damp it eats through the paint or anodizing and starts to pit the aluminum or plating on the steel.
Just wondering if switching to organic pads would make a difference?

I know from past experience riding on the beach threw salt water has a similar effect. If left for to long. Salted roads or brackish waters maybe.
Once theres a blemish in the finish salt will take over.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah if that's the case, I'm guilty. I liked to keep the dirt on my bike to remind me of the ride. Besides why clean it when its just going to get dirty again? Guess keeping your bike clean is part of good maintenance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just wondering if switching to organic pads would make a difference?

I know from past experience riding on the beach threw salt water has a similar effect. If left for to long. Salted roads or brackish waters maybe.
Once theres a blemish in the finish salt will take over.
I live in Orange County, CA so not a lot of salt on the roads and I don't hang out at the beach enough with the AT that I think it would be from that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts