Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just kidding, Greetings from Canberra Australia everybody!

After years of riding my trusty DRZ400 around the place I bit the bullet in December and bought a new ATAS. I have to say that it is... quite a change compared to the tractor and it has made my daily commute a lot more interesting, so now I am almost looking forward to going to work!

I am waiting for the standard tires to wear a bit more to justify putting some more off-road capable rubber, so I haven't ventured too far in the bush just yet and I am also building up my adv bike skills (who said chicken?). I have done about 3500 kms already, mostly highway commuting and I have enjoyed every single one of them. I pretty much haven't touched my drz or driven the car since I bought the ATAS, so it must be good, right!

Pic of the beast on its first day with about 0.7 kms on the clock. This was the first brand new vehicle I ever bought so I was pretty happy!

Sadly about a month after that, the bike got absolutely smashed by a hailstorm and it is currently awaiting repairs (about $8K AUD of damages to replace tank, left fairing and many plastic bits). I can still ride it but it really sucks! And this whole Corona thing is not going to speed up the process...

Only mods I have done so far are givi pannier racks, a taller screen and the famous plastic bracket thingy that everyone talks about because the wind buffeting was pretty horrendous at the start!

Being 6'6, I am looking at modding it a bit when it comes back from repairs to accommodate my normal size:
  • Lower pegs (maybe pivot?)
  • Bar raisers
So I am very curious to see if there are any other tall freaks here who have done anything else that has improved the seat to peg / standing position?

Stay safe everyone!

Alex

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,104 Posts
Just kidding, Greetings from Canberra Australia everybody!

After years of riding my trusty DRZ400 around the place I bit the bullet in December and bought a new ATAS. I have to say that it is... quite a change compared to the tractor and it has made my daily commute a lot more interesting, so now I am almost looking forward to going to work!

I am waiting for the standard tires to wear a bit more to justify putting some more off-road capable rubber, so I haven't ventured too far in the bush just yet and I am also building up my adv bike skills (who said chicken?). I have done about 3500 kms already, mostly highway commuting and I have enjoyed every single one of them. I pretty much haven't touched my drz or driven the car since I bought the ATAS, so it must be good, right!

Pic of the beast on its first day with about 0.7 kms on the clock. This was the first brand new vehicle I ever bought so I was pretty happy!

View attachment 53938

Sadly about a month after that, the bike got absolutely smashed by a hailstorm and it is currently awaiting repairs (about $8K AUD of damages to replace tank, left fairing and many plastic bits). I can still ride it but it really sucks! And this whole Corona thing is not going to speed up the process...

Only mods I have done so far are givi pannier racks, a taller screen and the famous plastic bracket thingy that everyone talks about because the wind buffeting was pretty horrendous at the start!

Being 6'6, I am looking at modding it a bit when it comes back from repairs to accommodate my normal size:
  • Lower pegs (maybe pivot?)
  • Bar raisers
So I am very curious to see if there are any other tall freaks here who have done anything else that has improved the seat to peg / standing position?

Stay safe everyone!

Alex

Hi and welcome since I’m the first one here I’m guessing I get the free complimentary roll of poo paper :poop:
just kidding.
Sad to read about your new baby getting pelted by hail, hopefully soon she’ll ‘recover’ from her abused state .

Reactions: JohnnyBanane

·
Super Moderator
6,741 Posts
Johnny: The AT looked good. Congratulations, and sorry to read about God's wrath on the AT.

The AT should be great for tall people, at least so far from what I have read about it in these Forum pages.

Welcome to the Forum!

·
Administrator
3,419 Posts
My bike got TP'ed last night, this morning I was offered 30K for it! Just kidding :)

Sorry to hear about the hail damage. That must have been a crazy storm. Hopefully the virus won't cause major delays. Parts for my repair where delayed a day or two due to shipping priorities, but nothing unreasonable.

At 6'2, I haven't had to do much in the way of modifications for height, other than tweaking my bars and levers and levers a little.

Some taller riders like these Knights Design pegs. A buddy of mine is about your height and he has them on a few of his bikes to get that extra 3/4"

He also has the saddles made higher at one of the local shops here that does custom seats. Not sure if you have anything similar in your area.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts