Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SW Motech center stand came loose and fell against the chain during my weekend trip to the city. The previous owner had it installed by the dealer when he purchased it new, and I never even thought to check that it was tight. I was just leaving a parking lot and heard the most horrible grinding noise, managed to pull over and the center stand was twisted sideways and scraping against the chain. The nylon lock nut that holds the bolt in place was completely missing, so I believe it must have fallen off earlier as I couldn't find anything when I retraced my steps (rolls?) to my parking spot. The position of the nut is completely out of sight and toward the inside, so it's something most of us probably never think to check. Without the nut, I ended up having to unhook the spring with a multitool and haul the stand home in my luggage. I just feel lucky that it didn't happen at highway speed and/or tear my chain apart in the middle of a road trip.

Today I was able to get a replacement nut, clean, grease, and reinstall everything (with loctite on the bolt this time!). That spring is a challenge to install without the proper tool. Anyway, if you have a center stand I recommend making it part of your pre ride check once in awhile. It's definitely part of mine now. Marking critical bolts/nuts with a colored line is good for peace of mind as well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
There was a manufacturer's recall on the center stand where something was wrong with the washer they used. It had the potential for the stand to fall off. Was that ever fixed with yours?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was a manufacturer's recall on the center stand where something was wrong with the washer they used. It had the potential for the stand to fall off. Was that ever fixed with yours?
Oh, I had no idea! I'll have to look into that. Thank you.

·
Administrator
3,288 Posts
That was only on the OEM center stand though wasn't it? OP has an SW Motech stand. Did those also have an issue?

Edit: You already addressed the question while I was typing it :)

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts