Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi chaps

Not been on for a while, I bought a manual AT back in may as I was unable to get a DCT here in Scotland. However I kept one on order and ran the manual since May. The manual has truly been amazing, a brilliant do it all comfy mile muncher with the best standard exhaust note I have had in a long time. I could easily get 50+mpg and if I kept it up to 70ish+ on longer runs I can top 60+.

I have loved my time on the manual, it is one of the best bikes in over 35 years and 50+ bikes, so I was so tempted to stick with it but the DCT stood out when I demonstrated it and I love how it functions, I have also over the years found my clutch hand wrist suffering on many other bikes after a few hundred miles, but not so that I noticed on the manual funnily enough, so from a long distance element, it will be a welcomed addition and compliment my aginging carcass :smile2:. So on Saturday I pick up the new DCT . I will be interested to hear if anyone else have had both and any thoughts on current DCT ownership from the site.

Take care and ride safe all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have only owned one Africa Twin, and it is a DCT, but have owned several bikes myself and thus far am impressed with the function.

I came from a bike that had a horrible transmission (BMW K1600 - transmission never missed a shift or popped out of gear, but you had to always shift the bike like you were drag racing. If you shifted casually it never felt synchronized as it went into gear, you had to "bang" it every time)

The DCT to me has brought a new level of enjoyment to the function of riding. For riding casually it does its job so well you aren't even aware it's doing it. For riding aggressively in one of the Sport modes it does a decent job, but shifting it manually is always a tap of one of the shifters away.

About all I could say that isn't excellent is to me, it seems to hang in third gear longer than needed. I am still trying to figure out if it is how I am riding or part of the function of the system, but I accelerate away and get the first couple of shifts complete and it seems when I left of the the throttle is about the time I am expecting it to go from 3rd to 4th, but it hangs for 4-5 seconds and then shifts (and goes to 5th & 6th rather quickly).

I have trained myself to just upshift manually at the correct time, I guess I just wondered what inputs the system uses to execute the gear change? Is it RPM only, or does it monitor throttle position, acceleration, etc....?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've noticed the same thing on my AT w/ DCT. My theory is that in 3rd gear you have reached the highway speed limit and may have slightly reduced the throttle input, thus telling the bike not to shift up into 4th. It is a bit annoying. It seems like the bike would recognize that you've reached the desired speed and it would then seek out a higher gear to optimize efficiency. Not the case, though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So TX and Beamer wld u hv soonered the manual????
I am very happy with the DCT - I just have trained myself to keep my throttle input the same as I accelerate, I just force the upshift into 4th vs letting it hang in 3rd gear.

On casual riding you really don't pay it much attention, and its not like manual shifting is laborious, however once you release the efforts to do it you would be surprised how much more effort you can put into the ride.

My only concern I can see that I have not tried is in an application where you might want some clutch slip (going thru a deep ditch, steep hill, etc....)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, will let you know, I already love AT and I am sure DCT will be the icing on the cake.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks everyone, will let you know, I already love AT and I am sure DCT will be the icing on the cake.
Watching with interest. Would be good (for me anyway) if you'd do a kind of comparison review coming from a manual to DCT after a few months because I'm thinking of switching to DCT next year. I'd be especially interested to see what you think about the DCT's slow speed manoeuvring abilities.
Cheers.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sandan, and Derek Dust, Just do it, the DCT is just amazing I wouldn't swap for any other bike, It's truly the best all round bike I've ever had, and I've had a few since I past my test in 1959,
I bought it in april 2016, and since then I've put 11,500 miles on it never been off road or on a motorway, all my miles have been in the mountains of North Wales and the Lake District, with a couple of excursions in the Cotswolds,
I almost always have it on sport 2 mode, I very rarely use the up gear paddle, but use the down gear paddle quite often on down hill decents or tight bends accelerating away letting the DCT do the up changing,
I've not had any problems at all with the engine/gearbox, and my only complaints have been with the heated grips (not hot enough) and the spoke corrosion,
I just wish my other bikes were DCT,
I know some people are put off buying the DCT , because they say it's twist and go, well ! so it is, what's wrong with that, certainly beats a foot change any day of the week,

ps, I've ordered one of the new X ADV Scooters, in Tricolour ,of course , lol
pps, and no I'm not getting rid of the AT,

·
Registered
329 Posts
I love the DCT and have ridden both on tricky off road and on road situations. The DCT also out-accellerates the manual by quite some margin.

Oh... I also rode my DCT over 5000miles off-road and a total over 10000 miles in one trip this year

1 - 10 of 10 Posts