Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am with Silverfox. I just got my fourth- FOURTH - front flat in 7200 miles. I am not joking when I say it’s an average of every 1800 miles it happens.

Beyond frustrating.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Carry both sizes so you only have to do the job once.
Thats what I have done. Ready to hit the trails now.

Was amazed at the weight difference between the 2. Rear is much heavier.
I got a natural rubber for the rear, but the front one is a mystery. Cannot find anything on the box.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I am with Silverfox. I just got my fourth- FOURTH - front flat in 7200 miles. I am not joking when I say it’s an average of every 1800 miles it happens.

Beyond frustrating.
Wow
2 flats one after another can be put down to bad luck, but 4 now in 7k miles. hmmmm

I guess there are a lot of questions this may raise such as: Where the f**k are your riding? Tyre brand? etc.....

I guess if you ride on roads that are not cared for often or overused, e.g. a lot of thrown retreads from heavy truck for example, that could be a rich source of puncture materials.

·
Registered
90 Posts
This last one the dealership stepped up and instead of patting me on the head, charging me to change it out and sending me out the door, they realized the same thing - this isn’t right. The bulk of the miles are interstate commuting. I’d say 2500 are my ‘adventure rides’ on two lane state roads, county dirt roads and keep trails. All flats happened on the highway commute.

The two tubes they used, and the one I used, were all the same ‘puncture resistant’ brand and type. This time they suggested going with a standard thickness, name brand tube (Michelin’s) as their thought is there was too much rubber and created heat which wore the tube down. The Michelin, while thinner, is made of better rubber and won’t get as hot.

We will see.

I aLao put on a new set of tires. Off to Utah and Burr Trail Road next week and I don’t want to have to deal with a tube issue.

Safe riding!
Bookem

·
Registered
110 Posts
Doesnt anybody use the slimed for tubed tyres?

Plus if you dont, what tools do you take with your spare tubes.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I don't think it's tube thickness that is the issue. I've been riding 40,000 kilometres on the bike with UHD tubes and haven't had a flat. In the first 10,000, I had a nail flat in the front with the OEM tube.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I don't think it's tube thickness that is the issue. I've been riding 40,000 kilometres on the bike with UHD tubes and haven't had a flat. In the first 10,000, I had a nail flat in the front with the OEM tube.
In hot temps a UHD ie 4mm thick tube puts a lot of heat stress on both the tire and the tube itself I have seen several become like wet paper when they fail you can easily tear them with your hands. UHD is fine, low pressure, lower speeds, lower temps not on sealed roads at high speed.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Heheheheeeee, I see it now.
Yeah 2.5k is a steep price, but you also get a very nice set of wheels that will also be sellable for maybe 1.5k at the end.
Or sell the stockers when you get the new ones. I have no idea what stockers are going for, but its not zero.

Personally I would not extrapolate a trend from 2 punctures in short succession. It is just a matter of probabilities. You may go without any for the next 100k.
I think you are right. Just returned last night from a Slovenia to Albania tour over 3k. Rode on rough roads , riverbeds (dry) and seems my confidence of tubed tyres is back. All others in the group had tubes in their bikes and hardly any punctures in the last decade.

·
Registered
167 Posts
This last one the dealership stepped up and instead of patting me on the head, charging me to change it out and sending me out the door, they realized the same thing - this isn’t right. The bulk of the miles are interstate commuting. I’d say 2500 are my ‘adventure rides’ on two lane state roads, county dirt roads and keep trails. All flats happened on the highway commute.

The two tubes they used, and the one I used, were all the same ‘puncture resistant’ brand and type. This time they suggested going with a standard thickness, name brand tube (Michelin’s) as their thought is there was too much rubber and created heat which wore the tube down. The Michelin, while thinner, is made of better rubber and won’t get as hot.

We will see.

I aLao put on a new set of tires. Off to Utah and Burr Trail Road next week and I don’t want to have to deal with a tube issue.

Safe riding!
Bookem
Repeated flats on a tire make me think there is something in the tire carcass or rim causing it, like a piece of debris or even a manufacturing defect in the tire. Were you having the same dealership fix your flats? I went in for an oil filter and crush washers recently and watched someone change two dirt bike flats. The first one caught my attention because of how rough he was being on it. I don't want my rims treated like that. But what really got me was how he pulled the tube out, stuck another one in without wiping the inside of the tire or the rim, and without putting any air into the tube to keep it from getting pinched or twisted. I know that changing tires is the first chore above sweeping the floors to the shops - so I don't trust anyone but me to work on mine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What objects caused these punctures?

I've had many rear punctures, no front. I've read that the front tire stands the object up so it punctures the rear. Obviously that applies to some things and not others.
Twice the shop could not find a cause, once there was a screw. The last repair we also replaced the rim tape ,just in case

21 - 32 of 32 Posts