Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 model with a tad over 30k and a manual box. Shortly after setting off riding the front brake will come on, on it's own in quite a substantial way way!! Has anyone experienced this issue and are there any recall issues with this as it really is a safety concern. I am the second owner and it has a full dealer service history so I'm at a loss. I have emailed John Banks Honda and was told there are no recalls.
Further on the recall subject it seems quite a few have been recalled for the spoke issues. Now I've had a tumble dryer that's been over four years old and has been recalled and replaced for safety issues and it only cost £200. This raises a few concerns with Honda I think!! Any thoughts, advice or similar experiences please help?! Cheers

·
Registered
463 Posts
All stock? Have you made any changes to the bike? Risers, high fender, etc? Asking because I'm wondering about any brake line interference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All standard, it's the tour spec version. I've now put on a standard screen as I'm short. It has the standard risers. I've never had a brake come on like this. Only ever a progressive issue of binding on older poorly serviced bikes where a strip and service sorts it out. My wheel does spin freely before riding.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I had a chevy van I bought that did this. It was a failing brake booster, which was caused by nasty, never flushed brake fluid. I ended up having to replace everything related to the brakes. I'd suggest flushing the system, removing the calipers and cleaning everything thoroughly like you mention. I had some somewhat sticky brakes and found a mess of debris in the calipers.

Weird it rolls good to start. Also makes me think something could be generating heat, or is it right after applying brakes?

Also, just remembered some past jalopies I've had. When people would remove the calipers, they'd let them hang by lines. The inner part of lines would get damaged, so when brakes were applied, add pressure, and when released, the pressure would not, resulting in locked brakes.

These are simple brakes. I'd start with a service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I think your probably right...now you mention it it does seem to happen after I've used it. Brake line integrity failing maybe? The frustrating thing is I've just fully serviced my lads Sv front brakes today....extra practice for mine I guess...argh🤔

·
Registered
463 Posts
At 30k, it's weird to me that there'd be any failures other than maintenence stuff.

Im curious what color the fluid is. My bike is close to yours in milage, I haven't flushed them yet, the color is still amber. In the past, a clue that something was amiss was if the color was black or gray. If you said 100k, I'd be wondering about master cyl, caliper rebuilds/replace. Also thought about wheel bearings, abs, rotors out of true, how much brake pad left, etc

·
Registered
CB1000R | CRF1000L
205 Posts
Did dirty caliper pistons ever get pushed back into the caliper? Such as a time when replacing brake pads. Might be a situation where the pistons are slow to return once brake pressure is released.

·
Super Moderator
5,020 Posts
Yeah I think your probably right...now you mention it it does seem to happen after I've used it. Brake line integrity failing maybe? The frustrating thing is I've just fully serviced my lads Sv front brakes today....extra practice for mine I guess...argh🤔
Sorry to read all this about your beast @Moggy. I hope it is soon resolved.

In the meantime, welcome to the Forum! I hope it is useful to you.

Feel free to introduce yourself at the New Member Introductions area of the Forum.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Is the fluid old? That is easily changed.
I agree with @rider_marc - gunk or build up on the caliper causing the pistons to stick. Get some brake cleaner from an auto supply and give it a good blast to clean it all out.

Reactions: rider_marc

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Moggy, I had the same issue a few years back. My front brake appeared to be set correctly, when they were cold. As I rode and stopped, they heated up. With the heating came expansion and eventually, a sudden, unscheduled decrease in speed. I had to wait till the brakes cooled off. I rode home with back brakes only. I did the full inspection. The front brake pad was adjusted just a tad too tight. Check to see the calipers and pads are properly mounted, no kinks in the line, no additional grit that would cause rubbing. Check the brake pistons and make sure they are not seized or dirty. I bet something there is the cause.

·
Registered
632 Posts
2017 model with a tad over 30k and a manual box. Shortly after setting off riding the front brake will come on, on it's own in quite a substantial way way!! Has anyone experienced this issue and are there any recall issues with this as it really is a safety concern. I am the second owner and it has a full dealer service history so I'm at a loss. I have emailed John Banks Honda and was told there are no recalls.
Further on the recall subject it seems quite a few have been recalled for the spoke issues. Now I've had a tumble dryer that's been over four years old and has been recalled and replaced for safety issues and it only cost £200. This raises a few concerns with Honda I think!! Any thoughts, advice or similar experiences please help?! Cheers
If I read the thread correctly, your front brakes do not 'self apply', instead they do not fully release once used then progressively come on as the drag gets them hot.
Is this a more correct statement of the problem?
I would pull the callipers, clean the exposed bits and (carefully) ensure the pistons are moving freely (can be pushed back a bit by hand).
Check the brake lines for kinks as already mentioned. Flush the fluid every 2-years.
Also possible the master cylinder is not relieving and may need service How to rebuild a motorcycle brake master cylinder
Good luck!

·
Registered
186 Posts
If you are handy, the quickest thing to try is a full brake bleed.
I am still amazed at the quirky symptoms you can have in hydraulics.

By default, bleed.

It used to kink-a work in the dark ages on everything from headaches to chronic masturbation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If the master cylinder piston is not returning to the ”resting” position, caused by a sticking master cylinder piston or interference at the brake lever or possibly a swollen master cylinder seal. This will cause the brakes to apply as the fluid heats up due to normal braking. Once the brakes start to drag the heat will increase and the brakes will come on harder.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts