Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to park my bike in a public parking lot (witch is not normal for me) and I had the brilliant idea to use a padlock in the front disk as a second safely cheap insurance. Guess what?.... I forgot that the padlock was there and I start ride, the padlock get stuck in the right front caliper and I bend the disk!!!:frown2::crying:
Actually the disk has a bend of approximately 2mm on one section.
Well, I thought that could be a $100 top fix... but my surprise a single front disk is $300 :surprise: (left and right disk are different)

So, now two questions...
1.- Somebody had to change the front disk? if So.... how much was that??
2.- Should I change only a single disk in a bike with 6K miles or should I change both?

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
They used to say that the disk bolts were one-time-use but they seem to have dropped that idea now - so that saves you about $50. How is the calliper undamaged?
This happens so often that disk locks seem to me a bad idea especially as serious bike thieves come in a van
The U-lock is just about as convenient, fits under the seat, and usually can be put around a railing too
Mike

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Yes just change the one disc, but make sure you buy new bolts too,
I was about to contradict you Elvisto, as my dealer used the same bolts on two replacement sets of wheels (because of the spokes issue). This alarmed me and I got the workshop manual which I was sure would say that the bolts were one-time-use, but it didn't.
However, the OP's bolts will have all been subject to a nasty shear force so I think you are correct and he should budget for the extra $50
Mike

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes just change the one disc, but make sure you buy new bolts too,
Good advice, I never thought to change the bolts because for my understand, this bolts are graded for the effort of holding all the load on the brake time and the effort to dismount and mount it again is way bellow to the work load... but any way it's a good practice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts