Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed a slight squeal when turning at full steering lock? It's nothing horrid, sort of like a lower pitched brake squeal, but it happens at full lock in either direction without braking. I can't tell if it comes from the wheel or higher in the front end. I especially notice it while practicing slow u-turns at full lock (no braking, just feathering the clutch), and sometimes while walking the bike around at full lock to park it. I'm wondering if the Rox bar risers are causing cable friction from pulling the cables tighter than normal, but I can't see anything. I just wanted to see if anyone else has encountered this before I go removing my risers again. If it's just me I'll start tinkering and see if cable slack is the issue.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Ι have a similar observation since day one on my ATAS. I did not spare time to be honest yet to find the source because I can hear it only when manoeuvring the bike on my garage with engine off.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Same as Petros. It has been a since the beginning issue. Worse with humid conditions so I feel it is likely tight tolerances on the brake rotors and they just want to make the strange slow honk noise. Only full lock left, though.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
I put 2 1/2" (I think?) Rox Risers on my 2017 AT Manual a while back. During that exercise and checking the tension in the cables in full lock I noticed the same thing. Was too tight and actually starting to engage the clutch with full lock to the left. As a remedy that has work well so far I rerouted the clutch cable. Additionally I removed the handlebar switch wire clips and disengaged the front brake hose grommet from it's seat. See the attached screen shot from the manual as a reference. After this I had enough slack and the tension was gone.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great replies, thank you everyone! Love this forum. I'll look into loosening the cables and see if it has any effect.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After some more testing, it seems the squeal on mine comes from the front disc/rotor area. It occurs while rolling forward, not backward around the garage, sometimes even with the wheel straight forward. I held and moved each bundle of cables to add slack and it never altered the noise even slightly, so I'm fairly sure it's the disc/rotor.

·
Registered
154 Posts
After some more testing, it seems the squeal on mine comes from the front disc/rotor area. It occurs while rolling forward, not backward around the garage, sometimes even with the wheel straight forward. I held and moved each bundle of cables to add slack and it never altered the noise even slightly, so I'm fairly sure it's the disc/rotor.
This is how mine is as well, noticed it ever since new. Always hear it when pushing it in the garage and also backing out of a parking space. My thought was the front brakes as well, probably just rubbing a bit, enough to make a noise.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the same problem here, I thought that I'm a bit OCD but it's a bit annoying... I'm looking for a solution too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts