Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I have a 2018 ATAS DCT I’ve had since April. It seems about every 1,800 miles the front tire goes flat. I noticed my 3rd flat this morning. It was fine yesterday coming home, go to get on this morning and...flat.

I’ve had the first two replaced by the dealership and use heavy duty tubes. I’ve had flats before, sure, but not three in as many months of riding.

Bad luck? Or a possible chronic issue? I’ll pull the wheel and inspect the interior but don’t know what to look for unless it’s an obvious problem.

Thoughts? Any one else have this type of bad luck?

Bookem

·
Registered
65 Posts
All you can do is pull the wheel and tyre tube. Do a pressure test on the tube/valve first to determine where the air is leaking from - bath tub or similar.
Once you have determined where the air is leaking you can pinpoint an area of tyre that may be causing the issue. HD tubes are not ideal for continuous high speed riding according to some sources.
Have had problems before but once the cause is determined, maybe a sharp nib on the inner tyre carcass, leaky valve,or something on the wheel you just won't know where to look. It has to be one of those things. Make sure you note which way round the tube was sitting in relationship to the wheel. Methodical methods are always best.
Z

·
Registered
77 Posts
That sucks! I have a 2018 also and have not had a flat yet. I've aired down, beat it up off road, and changed some tires. Intended to change the tube with the tire change, but the replacement was pinched in the process. So, over 4k miles without flats for me on the original tubes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Leave the tire on the wheel and pull the tube. Mark the rotation so you know where it goes on the rim (put directional arrow).

Air up the tube to find the hole.
- If it is on the inside of the tube it might be an extra long spoke sticking through, or the rimstrip might have gotten moved out of place while installing the tire.
- If it is a snakebite (two small holes together on the side of the tube) it might have been low inflation when hitting a pothole or rock and pinching the tube.
- If it is on the outside, line up the tube with the rim ensuring the air valve lines up with the tube and see where the hole would have been in the tire. You may have a screw, nail or other object causing the flat.
- Sometimes you also get a flat if there was an obvious fold on the tube when you took it out, as if it had been bunched up during install, or if the tube was pinched under the tire bead.

Or you could just have bad luck or a bad local construction crew dropping nails... :)

Good Luck!

·
Registered
335 Posts
That sucks! I have a 2018 also and have not had a flat yet. I've aired down, beat it up off road, and changed some tires. Intended to change the tube with the tire change, but the replacement was pinched in the process. So, over 4k miles without flats for me on the original tubes.
What tube did you go for? I got a spare front from Rugged roads which seems fine but the OEM tube which came along with the Dunlops seems to be much better quality, almost like it has fabric or threads built into the rubber.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a 2016 model and had four front punctures (pin hole) with the original tyre. The pin hole was in the same spot each time. Each time I checked the outside of the tyre and couldn't find anything e.g. nail, screw, so I fitted a new tyre. Once off the rim I had a good look inside the tyre and found a small split and that was the problem. I think I must of run over a sharp stone while riding on some rough roads. It would take a few weeks between punctures.

·
Registered
77 Posts
What tube did you go for? I got a spare front from Rugged roads which seems fine but the OEM tube which came along with the Dunlops seems to be much better quality, almost like it has fabric or threads built into the rubber.
I think the replacement was a Michelin, but since I pinched it, I just put the OEM Dunlop back in. I'm actually pretty impressed how well they're doing. I may buy their tubes again on the next tire change.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just do the tubeless mod and ride on. I have not lost any air in over 3,000 miles after using the 3M tape only.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts