Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have turned them in 3 turns but want to make sure both sides are equal. can I back the pre-load all the way out without any worry?
it should stop I would assume:grin2:.
then I can count my turns down evenly.
I have never had a set of forks with pre-load adjustment on them I always cut a spacer and put in it.

thank you everyone I realize this is a very basic question to say the least.

manual barely mentions it says not to go beyond limits 8.5 turns in should be stock. out of a max of 15 turns.
I have gotten the compression about the way I like it is 4 clicks softer in the front and 2 softer on rear. need to soften rebound as well.
have a great day enjoy the ride everyone.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes, turn them counterclockwise to full soft and they will stop just don't force them. Then turn clockwise equal turns to your liking.

·
Registered
23 Posts
"4 clicks softer in the front and 2 softer on rear"
Do you weigh like 75 lbs? I found the factory settings to be too soft with lots of fork dive while breaking. I'm 200lbs btw.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"4 clicks softer in the front and 2 softer on rear"
Do you weigh like 75 lbs? I found the factory settings to be too soft with lots of fork dive while breaking. I'm 200lbs btw.
I weigh 175 dripping wet have 25lb bag on back as well as crash guards etc.
yes it dives! that's why I ran 3 turns in on it to stiffen the front up I plan on going at least to 12 out of 15 turns and ride it. I just wanted to make sure not to damage pre-load adjustment:grin2:.
diving has nothing to do with the suspension settings for the compression or rebound setting and valving.
witch I am very familiar with from my motocross and cross country days.
all the spring controls is ride height more then anything else the valving controls the speed of compression & rebound. I/E oil flow around and through the valving.
I don't want to feel a 1 inch bump or crack on the road or trail when i have 10+ inches of travel .
if I was track riding pavement maybe but not gravel roads and rough 4x4 passes full of rocks. I want it supple and smooth so my ass/hands/arms doesn't take a beat down hehehe>:).
most times I start dead middle see how things feel and adjust from there that's my plan.

have a great day.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am in this same boat. They don’t seem to want to stop in any direction so I don’t have a reference where I am at. I am using light pressure but I just can’t close my eyes and “feel” it stopping.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just started experimenting with the suspension adjustment... I found a great improvement in ride by increasing the rear compression 3 clicks, the front compression 3 clicks, and oddly making the front rebound softer, actually all the way soft.. Our "Walker-ized" roads in northern Wisconsin are in very bad shape...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts