Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was strapping my bike today because I am going to ship it and the front left suspension started leaking. I think I strapped it to hard. Has anyone had the same issue? Are the seals broken? How can I replace the seals and oil?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Could be a bad seal, or you have some grit in there allowing some oil to seep by. Pop the dust seals off and take a closer look. I've heard you can use a piece of paper to clean around the seal. Not notebook paper, but thicker like construction paper. Replacing the seals is a relatively simple, but like anything else you can screw something up. A service manual will detail the procedure step by step.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,262 Posts
Hi, I was strapping my bike today because I am going to ship it and the front left suspension started leaking. I think I strapped it to hard. Has anyone had the same issue? Are the seals broken? How can I replace the seals and oil?
Could be a bad seal, or you have some grit in there allowing some oil to seep by. Pop the dust seals off and take a closer look. I've heard you can use a piece of paper to clean around the seal. Not notebook paper, but thicker like construction paper. Replacing the seals is a relatively simple, but like anything else you can screw something up. A service manual will detail the procedure step by step.
Shock Sox are an absolute must have for any inverted shock. EVERY off-road shock will leak if the seals are unprotected. Difference being, up right shocks loose oil by surface retention, so it’s a slow process, inverted shocks will drain out the seals.Basically they have gravity working against them..
If you don’t have them, I wholeheartedly suggest getting a set, they are cheap 99.9% effective and take, like 30sec to put on..

Reactions: GR8ESC and TypeJ

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
367 Posts
As @AT-Dragon Mentions Shock Sox are helpful for running on the bike, however some members hate them due to them trapping dirt and other things. I have a set that are solid, from Moose, that are going on the bike once I make some room in the garage.

As far as a fix right now, go grab some seal savers or make your own out of a plastic bottle. You can buy other ones on Amazon or Ali also.

You just pop that dust cover off, once you have unstrapped it, and slide the thin plastic( Seal Saver) up behind the seals. Once you are up there pull it down a bit to slide the lip of the seal down and then circle around the seal. Give it a wipe and check to see if the leak stopped. If not repeat the process.

Let us know how you made out.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,262 Posts
@TheMKoi

I’ve never seen them trap dirt, if they are the right size, they are pretty tight and conforming, took mine off after 2 years and it was as clean as the day I put them on underneath them.
The manufacturer does suggest washing them but that is for the leading edge the will accumulate dirt..

·
Registered
367 Posts
@TheMKoi

I’ve never seen them trap dirt, if they are the right size, they are pretty tight and conforming, took mine off after 2 years and it was as clean as the day I put them on underneath them.
The manufacturer does suggest washing them but that is for the leading edge the will accumulate dirt..
Oh I am with you 100%. I just wanted to give information from both sides of the coin. Some guys love them, some hate them, some are indifferent. I think they work great. (y)

Reactions: AT-Dragon and TypeJ

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
343 Posts
A cleaning of the lower strut every once in a while works well. 40,000 miles on my last bike, no leak on oem seals

Reactions: AT-Dragon

·
Super Moderator
7,259 Posts
Maybe another solution is to stay on road. :LOL:

For off road, a similar approach (not saying it is better than the others) is to do routine maintenance using a "Seal Mate" gizmo. Like @TheMKoi 's idea, but commercial version. Seemed to work for me on non-Honda bikes.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Maybe another solution is to stay on road. :LOL:

For off road, a similar approach (not saying it is better than the others) is to do routine maintenance using a "Seal Mate" gizmo. Like @TheMKoi 's idea, but commercial version. Seemed to work for me on non-Honda bikes.
That is what I meant ... Seal Mate... I guess you can tell I have never bought them. I have watched them in action and they do make the job very easy.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cleaned my '17 seals with Seal Mate and worked to stop the leak every time.
Best $10 I ever spent on a product that costs $.25 to produce.
Think you could make your own out of thin plastic.

Keep your tubes clean, that helps.

·
Administrator
3,433 Posts
My wife's 2017 started leaking on the left side a couple of years ago. Tried cleaning it with a Seal Mate, which slowed the leaking down a little, but didn't stop it. Ended up replacing them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts