Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Quick question, my 2016 AT is at 12,500km (7,767miles) and the left leg of the front has an oil leak. I never rode the bike with passenger and never did things an adventure bike is not capable of. Is it normal to have a front suspension issue like at this mileage? My previous bike a BMW f700gs which was more road orriented never had suspension leak like that even after 37,300km (23,177miles).

Is it normal?

If any of you had this problem before does the warranty covered it? My dealer wasn't sure when I asked him, he said because it's a offroad oriented bike it can be considered as a ''normal'' problem...

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
125 Posts
should be covered by warranty.
but, first try cleaning (carefully) the seal with a small flat-head screwdriver or scrap of plastic. Sometimes a piece of grit lodges in the seal so that it doesn't, well, seal.

·
Registered
121 Posts
^ agreed often it's just a piece of dirt stuck in the seal. Pull the dust seal down then use something to slide up between the fork slider and seal, I used to use old feeler gauges or 35mm film. Takes a bit of force to get it in there and some oil will flow out as you work the feeler gauge around the circumference to wipe the dirt out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All broken parts replaced and all covered by warranty, the dealer also provided me a demo AT to go back home while they fixed bike instead of waiting on site.

All good and ready for tomorrow's ride!

·
Registered
86 Posts
From feedback and talking to other AT owners, the fork seals on the AT are very prone to leaking. I replaced both of mine early (approx 6000km), both were leaking. However, this was mainly due to winding up the suspension and hitting some challenging treks. Full suspension rebuild now solves this problem.

Reactions: Nusk450x

·
Registered
78 Posts
Two days ago I noticed that my front left fork seal was leaking.
Have traveled 24,500km over the last 12 months and the bike is going in for it's service on Friday.
I ride the bike daily (summer & winter) to work and in the weekend.
The bike is ridden on and off road.
Hopefully they can get in a new fork seal before Friday, as I'm traveling 850km (return) to get the bike serviced.
Also the set switch stopped working about three weeks ago and it took two weeks for the WD40 to free it up so it works again.
Hopefully the Honda dealer will still replace that part on Friday.

·
Registered
5 Posts
After 20,000 km both fork seals started to leak.
I replaced them ( it was nor accepted as warranty and the local dealer didn't have on stock, so I had to order on-line from a uk dealer )
I also put a fork seal cover to prevent future leaks due to dust getting in the fork seal
I seems to be a common problem. I have heard of several riders having it. I bought an extra set to have it available in case I need to change them again. I do no trust on local dealer spare parts inventory

·
Registered
163 Posts
My left fork seal is leaking or running. Dealer has ordered new seals and will probably fit them next week. I do give the bike some solid off-road workouts so I'm not going to claim warranty unless my dealer suggests it. But disappointing as it took my 450x 7 years to have its first leaking fork seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
979 Posts
I have 18,000 kilometres on mine and had a leak on the right fork due to muck being stuck in the seal. I used a Seal Doctor to get the grime out and haven't had an issue again.

Reactions: Denburger

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased mine in June of 2017 and have 13,300 kms on mine. Was on a trip to Alaska and the left side went one me went followed by the right side soon after. The fork fluid leaked over the brake pads and ruined them. Just had it in for service and the seals and brake pads were covered by warranty. I was surprised they went so soon considering I hadn't done any hardcore off road. I did about 700 kms of dirt roads on the trip and many of the roads did have large frost heaves on the paved ones.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Update: Both of mine started leaking again at around the 24,000 kilometre point. Tried cleaning them again - still leaking. I've replaced them now and both had tears in them - the cause of the leak. Replaced with SKF seals which seem to have a thicker glide surface than the OEM ones.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm onto my third set of fork seals and only clocked up 45,000km.
They seem to last approx. 15,000km.
Spend about a quarter of the time (km's) off road (gravel roads)
The bike is the 2016 model and non of the seals were replaced under warrantee.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I ride my bike on gravel roads a lot, too. Three times in 45,000 seems high to me. I'm curious to see if my little CRF250L has the same issues. So far, not a drop from the seals on it.
Maybe fork seals on this bike are considered routine maintenance in dusty, gritty and muddy terrain. I'm not sure.
It wasn't a big deal (one afternoon) to take everything apart and change them.

I'm onto my third set of fork seals and only clocked up 45,000km.
They seem to last approx. 15,000km.
Spend about a quarter of the time (km's) off road (gravel roads)
The bike is the 2016 model and non of the seals were replaced under warrantee.

·
Registered
979 Posts
The SKF kit for the 2016+ AT is KITB-45S

Can someone tell me the reference off the SKF front fork seals for crf1000 2016? I can't find it on the web.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Showa forks will leak due to nicks in fork tubes from rocks, hard water deposits, grit on fork legs in or around the seals. They are a bit persnickety. I like to use a microfiber cloth to clean the fork tubes often and follow up with medical gauze to detect small nicks that will compromise the seals. Check thumpertalk and crfsonly webpages for extended threads on this topic as dirt riders are always plagued with this issue. There are solutions which include seal savers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts