Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For front suspension travel on the A/T, I see 8.0" (204mm) in some reference material such as the factory service manual, and I see 9.0" (230mm) in other places including Honda website.

Which is it?

TIA

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
My guess is that it's the difference measured along the fork (more practical) and measured vertically. If you know the rake of the forks you can work it out with a bit of simple trigonometry. I had the same dilemma with the NC750X in that the service manual was quoting 137mm and everywhere else it was 150mm. When you take the 27 degree rake into account both measurements were the same. For what it's worth I think Honda generally quote vertical axle travel front and back and when they don't, they describe it as 'cushion stroke' - but in truth I don't think they are consistent.
Mike

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My guess is that it's the difference measured along the fork (more practical) and measured vertically. If you know the rake of the forks you can work it out with a bit of simple trigonometry. I had the same dilemma with the NC750X in that the service manual was quoting 137mm and everywhere else it was 150mm. When you take the 27 degree rake into account both measurements were the same. For what it's worth I think Honda generally quote vertical axle travel front and back and when they don't, they describe it as 'cushion stroke' - but in truth I don't think they are consistent.
Mike
That computes to be exactly what it is. 204mm vertical vs. 230mm along the axis of the fork given the 27.5 degree rake angle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts