Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Most times, I don't carry a spare tube with me. However, I always have patches, rubber cement and a plug kit. Not much extra time to patch a tube than replace it.

On my last field repair I lost my good scuffer/stitcher tool. :cry:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Most times, I don't carry a spare tube with me. However, I always have patches, rubber cement and a plug kit. Not much extra time to patch a tube than replace it.

On my last field repair I lost my good scuffer/stitcher tool. :cry:
lol - that is probably a "good day" for people who don't want to battle tubes in the field.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I ride minimalist, too. Everything I need to change or fix a tire/tube is either in the tool box or under the seat. Air compressor included. If I get all head up about it, I'll cut the compressor case smaller and make the back seat easier to pull off for more storage space.

AAA/CAA/AMA can't find squat if it doesn't have pavement AND either an address or milepost. They don't know how to use GPS coordinates. Oh yeah...."The boss won't let me take the tow truck off road", includes improved dirt roads for some companies. AAA may only make tows on maintained dirt roads, but not on irregular off road property.
Sorry, my disgust for some tow truck companies came out. I feel better now. But, that's why I am as self sufficient as I can be. I've learned the hard way not to rely on other people.

What would be cheaper, carrying tools and a tube or paying an uncovered tow bill?

·
Super Moderator
1,698 Posts
Well large holes are large holes and if you had patches or tubeless tires you would be out of luck.
Even with a new tube if you made a tear or gash that big your tire would be in need of replacement..

·
Registered
93 Posts
So a little recent experience of mine:
Riding the **** ( Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail) in early June this year. Left the Chicago area with a brad new AX41s rear tire installed ( tube as well) at a local dealer.
about 420 miles into the trail in northern WI just after coming off a tight bumpy muddy atv section I noticed the back end feeling loose. My buddy riding behind me on his KTM 1290R said that the rear was low and getting lower. Short ride down the road to find some shade and yep, Its flat.
No cell service (Wasn't anyone to call anyway) we removed the rear wheel and removed the tire from rim. 1/2" long L shaped tear in the tube done by a piece of metal through the tire. ( possibly a nail). The problem was, we could not get the metal out of the tire! we tried pulling from inside of tire and it kept breaking off, couldn't get it from outside of tire because the head had broken off. tried pushing through the tire, no luck as it went in on an angle.
For those of you thinking , "that's why I use tubless" you would have been screwed since it wasn't pluggable.
We finally broke off enough of the object so that it was not poking out, put a large patch on the tube, put a small patch on the inside of the tire( added protection if the metal moved) . Put it all back together, inflated to 40lbs and road off.
Tools:
Motion Pro tire irons / bead breaker
motion pro rim protectors
wrenches to remove wheels
Misc knives, wrenches, screwdrivers, tubless kit .......
Compact air compressor
Forgot rim lube but used a small bottle of shampoo I had.
I also have a ratchet strap I can us to pull the back down to lift the front.
The whole process took about 3 hours but if it had been a normal flat with we would have been back on the road in about 45 min to an hour.
Used my buddies side stand to break the bead as this is easier but I think it went pretty well for my first flat change since I was on a Schwinn!!

I've ridden another 60o miles on it since and think I'll see how long it will last.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts