Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

121 - 140 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just come back from a long weekend in Brittany. Pretty easy going. I covered around 500 miles and the computer shows a average of 62mpg (UK).

My bike is an Atas with 4.5k miles on the clock.

·
Registered
225 Posts
After 1 year 7 months and 2 road trips, bike has made about 22'000km and I can go as low as 3.8l/100 if riding easy (max 80kmh) in 6th and no highway, that's 74 MPG.
With twisties attack my average is 5.2l/100 (54 MPG) and worst I did in Spain with constant 140kmh highway, was 5.6l/100 (50 MPG).
Funny thing is I have installed a Dimsport fastbike easy, which I found to even make fuel consumption better, adjusted on 0 and on 1 nothing really major !

·
Registered
140 Posts
After 1 year 7 months and 2 road trips, bike has made about 22'000km and I can go as low as 3.8l/100 if riding easy (max 80kmh) in 6th and no highway, that's 74 MPG.
With twisties attack my average is 5.2l/100 (54 MPG) and worst I did in Spain with constant 140kmh highway, was 5.6l/100 (50 MPG).
Funny thing is I have installed a Dimsport fastbike easy, which I found to even make fuel consumption better, adjusted on 0 and on 1 nothing really major !
Do you find at 80kph in 6th the motor feels like it's labouring a bit? I use 5th gear at 80kph. It'd be interesting to see the economy difference. I might check it out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did a 6000 odd km trip last week around South Africa. Worst average fuel consumption between fill ups was 8.9l/100 km. Average fuel consumption for the trip was 6.6 l/100 km.

·
Registered
112 Posts
To anyone who has access to 98 Octane premium unleaded fuel as we do here in Oz and is using it on their Africa Twin in the belief that it is somehow better for the engine or delivers better fuel consumption (two marketing myths used by the fuel companies), can I suggest you try 95 Octane as recommended by Honda and compare the results.

We see plenty of used cars and bikes advertised in Oz with the statement "only ever run on 98" the suggestion being that the vehicle has only ever been fed the best fuel available.

I was of that view myself and since buying my AT a year ago only put 98 in the tank but at the last fill I used 95 and saved a few cents in the process. Not only that but I was pleasantly surprised to find when I filled it up again yesterday that my consumption was slightly better. OK, its only one tank but my riding style, commute and filling brim to brim has always given me a L/100KM figure within 0.1 to 0.2 each fill so I'm confident that the first tank of 95 was fairly representative.

Given the premium price we pay for 98 Octane fuel I'll be sticking to 95 in future.

·
Registered
46 Posts
To anyone who has access to 98 Octane premium unleaded fuel as we do here in Oz and is using it on their Africa Twin in the belief that it is somehow better for the engine or delivers better fuel consumption (two marketing myths used by the fuel companies), can I suggest you try 95 Octane as recommended by Honda and compare the results.

We see plenty of used cars and bikes advertised in Oz with the statement "only ever run on 98" the suggestion being that the vehicle has only ever been fed the best fuel available.

I was of that view myself and since buying my AT a year ago only put 98 in the tank but at the last fill I used 95 and saved a few cents in the process. Not only that but I was pleasantly surprised to find when I filled it up again yesterday that my consumption was slightly better. OK, its only one tank but my riding style, commute and filling brim to brim has always given me a L/100KM figure within 0.1 to 0.2 each fill so I'm confident that the first tank of 95 was fairly representative.

Given the premium price we pay for 98 Octane fuel I'll be sticking to 95 in future.

im in oz my 18at has a sticker on the tank says e10 .... hhmmmm not while i own it .. the bike shop filled it with e10 the day i picked it up .. i rode very gingerly that day and for the first tank .. it coughed and spluttered and carried on in down changes ... so i used reg unleaded 91 for 2 tanks .. same thing ... 3 tanks of 95 was better but still the occasional cough .. the last 4 tanks have been on 98 premium has not coughed once ...

i get on average 4.1L-100km(off the dash) i fill up when the light flashes(range says 80-85km) on average 13.5-14.5 ltr per fill and i get 260-285 km per fill.

i ride 40km each way to work mix 80 -100kph some stop start , at least 3 times a week i ride 145km each way with a mix of back roads hwy and twisties

where you at sundoger ... we should adventure meet ...

shiney side up

e

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi Ewen,
I'm in Adelaide. I described my commute in a previous post on this subject, maybe a little more city riding than you, I live in the CBD.
Over a year I've been averaging 4.15 to 4.2 L/100 until I was recently pulled for speeding by our boys in blue so I slowed down for a bit , read stuck to the speed limits!

My 'law abiding' fuel consumption improved slightly to around 4.1 but out of the last tank of 95 I averaged 4L/100, as near as f%$k is to swearing.

No issues whatsoever with misfiring, bike runs as sweet as ever. I should have made the switch from 98 to 95 earlier because my previous bike, a Brutale, was tuned for and ran better on 95 with no discernible benefit running 98, except lightening my wallet quicker.

·
Registered
140 Posts
On a recent trip I had to put 91 octane in my bike because that was all I could get. I just rode normally and didn't labour the engine or ride too hard. No noticeable difference to me. Honda know these bikes go around the world and are likely to have to run on low quality fuel. As far as fuel consumption goes, go for higher figures! WIDE OPEN THROTTLE!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are the octane numbers calculated the same between US and AUS? I have never seen 98. We have here 85, 87, 91. There is too much snow to ride now but I put 87 in and bike worked good. Manual calls for at least 86. I’m at 7300 feet elevation so I bet the 85 would work too.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Are the octane numbers calculated the same between US and AUS? I have never seen 98. We have here 85, 87, 91. There is too much snow to ride now but I put 87 in and bike worked good. Manual calls for at least 86. I’m at 7300 feet elevation so I bet the 85 would work too.
No they're different. I may be off a bit but I'd guess your 85 is our 91 and your 91 is our 98.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Do you find at 80kph in 6th the motor feels like it's labouring a bit? I use 5th gear at 80kph. It'd be interesting to see the economy difference. I might check it out.
Nope of course it isn't picking up like crazy, but it's running fine and no hickups or vibrations, keep in mind I live in switzerland so I use 95 octane fuel all year long, could be making
quite a big difference as compared to 91 octane !

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just did a few hundred miles this past weekend. I have about 1500 miles on a 2018 ATAS with DCT. I reset my consumption computer for the first time, and I ran 87 octane regular ol gas in it.
This was a mix of highway, interstate and city riding.
I was pleased at the end of the day, that it was reporting 49.3mpg.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2016 DCT AT has so far returned 4.8 litres per 100Kms = 60 MPG no matter the roads or how I'm using her, OK, shes just got 12K on the clock, but in 2 and a 1/2 weeks I've clocked up the last 2,000 of them on all sorts of sealed roads around southern Auckland and the 4.8 is the average, best was 4.2 worst 5.5. Hope she keeps doing that, rode 351K's before I lost the last fuel bar and went to the flahing orange light, deazler told me I had about 50-100 K's when the light came on, so good for at least 400K.
Not complaining about that, the Bandit 1250 I just traded on this wonderful machine did similar K's unles you turned the wrist a bit harder, not so good then, fun, but no go so far aye.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Breaking in a new 2018 Adventure Sports w/manual tranny, & am now at 310;miles on the odometer.
91 octane getting 53-56 mpg.
I am also in New Mexico, up north near Ojo Caliente about 6700 feet elevation.
Gonna try 91 octane no ethanol fuel next fill up, my other bikes get on average of 5 mpg better using the no ethanol stuff.
Enjoying the bike and warmer weather lately here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm on a quest to get more range out of the AT.

I have a 2016 AT and am working on a project to custom build a rear twin tank set-up. I will share some pics and start a thread on the rear tanks when we get some proto-types built.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all my 2016 DCT is only delivering 7.2l/100km I'm doing a trip around Australia at the moment and am very disappointed in the fuel economy especially with the distance between fuel stations.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There are a few octane ratings in use: RON (research octane number), MON (motor octane number), and AKI, which is the average of the RON and MON and is sometimes referred to as the PON (posted octane number). The most common is RON; in most European countries, as well as Australia and New Zealand, the RON rating is what you see. In Canada, the USA and some other countries, the rating in use is AKI. In short, for the same fuel, Canada and the USA will be 4 to 6 octane numbers lower than the ratings elsewhere in the world. Think of the increasing octane rating as its increasing resistance to self ignition (knocking or pinging) from compression by adding octanes (a family of hydrocarbons).

121 - 140 of 158 Posts