Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
161 - 164 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Was riding from Toronto to Niagara Falls and halfway across NY state today and WOW the QEW (interstate) plus lake effect winds off Ontario at 120 - 130 kph and the remnants of the NE storm that swept across the US burned a whole fresh topped off tank in 110 miles, the worst mpg I've ever gotten. Granted I had fully loaded panniers. But dang I need to remember to keep an eye out, usually I can get a rock solid 220+ miles out of a full tank.

I was lucky I caught it, was looking at my revs, saw I was down to one bar and hit a gas station immediately, the next one was 32 miles down the interstate.

·
Super Moderator
7,220 Posts
Was riding from Toronto to Niagara Falls and halfway across NY state today and WOW the QEW (interstate) plus lake effect winds off Ontario at 120 - 130 kph and the remnants of the NE storm that swept across the US burned a whole fresh topped off tank in 110 miles, the worst mpg I've ever gotten. Granted I had fully loaded panniers. But dang I need to remember to keep an eye out, usually I can get a rock solid 220+ miles out of a full tank.

I was lucky I caught it, was looking at my revs, saw I was down to one bar and hit a gas station immediately, the next one was 32 miles down the interstate.
Huh - hopefully that topped off tank wasn't mostly filled in Ontario. I typically find using U.S.-based gasoline I get more range.

However, a long headwind like you described is definitely not helpful either.

161 - 164 of 164 Posts