Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
161 - 180 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Was riding from Toronto to Niagara Falls and halfway across NY state today and WOW the QEW (interstate) plus lake effect winds off Ontario at 120 - 130 kph and the remnants of the NE storm that swept across the US burned a whole fresh topped off tank in 110 miles, the worst mpg I've ever gotten. Granted I had fully loaded panniers. But dang I need to remember to keep an eye out, usually I can get a rock solid 220+ miles out of a full tank.

I was lucky I caught it, was looking at my revs, saw I was down to one bar and hit a gas station immediately, the next one was 32 miles down the interstate.

·
Super Moderator
8,687 Posts
Was riding from Toronto to Niagara Falls and halfway across NY state today and WOW the QEW (interstate) plus lake effect winds off Ontario at 120 - 130 kph and the remnants of the NE storm that swept across the US burned a whole fresh topped off tank in 110 miles, the worst mpg I've ever gotten. Granted I had fully loaded panniers. But dang I need to remember to keep an eye out, usually I can get a rock solid 220+ miles out of a full tank.

I was lucky I caught it, was looking at my revs, saw I was down to one bar and hit a gas station immediately, the next one was 32 miles down the interstate.
Huh - hopefully that topped off tank wasn't mostly filled in Ontario. I typically find using U.S.-based gasoline I get more range.

However, a long headwind like you described is definitely not helpful either.

·
Registered
2018 Africa Twin Manual
30 Posts
I was blown away to see that people are getting over 50mpg US. The best I am able to get is 43 when I am trying to extend range. I thought it could be clogged air filters so I just replaced them with K&N and saw no increase in MPG. Is anyone else having this issue? Am I just riding too hard to see those magic numbers on the dash?

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
1,278 Posts
When I first got the AT I was very cautious seeing as I hadn't had a bike for 1/4 century and I was in drive mode and a user mode set to lowest power. I was regularly getting 65mpg plus (UK) so about 54mpg US.
As I got more accustomed to the AT I used Sport 2 mode, max power and now I am only getting about 50 mpg UK so low 40's mpg US.
There may also be another factor that has dropped the MPG and that is we have just switched over to E10 in the UK, previously it was E5 and my first few weeks would have been E5.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just rode from Phoenix 75-80 most of the way, hard side boxes and hard top box, headwind for about 60 miles, average 32.8 mpg. I picked the bike up from 8k service, new air filter, tires and fluids.

·
Super Moderator
8,687 Posts
Just rode from Phoenix 75-80 most of the way, hard side boxes and hard top box, headwind for about 60 miles, average 32.8 mpg. I picked the bike up from 8k service, new air filter, tires and fluids.
Yeah, I find the economy of the AT with those riding conditions a bit more thirsty than I am used to. Otherwise, it can achieve desirable results.

Welcome to the Forum @rlmankins.

Feel free to introduce yourself at the New Member Introductions area of the Forum.

·
Registered
139 Posts
When I first got the AT I was very cautious seeing as I hadn't had a bike for 1/4 century and I was in drive mode and a user mode set to lowest power. I was regularly getting 65mpg plus (UK) so about 54mpg US.
As I got more accustomed to the AT I used Sport 2 mode, max power and now I am only getting about 50 mpg UK so low 40's mpg US.
There may also be another factor that has dropped the MPG and that is we have just switched over to E10 in the UK, previously it was E5 and my first few weeks would have been E5.
It's probably a few variables, Initially riding a lot more cautiously and now a lot more spirited riding and the addition of e10 has made a slight negative difference. Plus in winter I find my riding style means less mpgs along with other traffic dynamics. In the summer with the wife as pillion ill tend to use a higher gear and coast along a lot more and get better consumption. If I'm on my own ride more to road craft which is designed for most responsive not economical riding. My riding recently has been all commuting so a lot of stop start. Hopefully in the new year once I get a load of hospital appts out the way I can do some more leisure riding.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Went on a small ride out today here in Devon U.K. just B roads at a steady pace riding with a group of about 10 bikes.
One of them was a 250 Honda so nothing over 65mph.
On my return I noticed my MPG recorded on the bikes computer of 66.1 miles per U.K gallon. About 4.25L/100K over 115 mile trip with one stop for an hour for lunch.
That's the best MPG I've seen on an Africa twin 1100. Beating my 1000 Adventure Sport by 4 MPG.
Vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive mirror Personal luxury car

·
Registered
AT DCT XADV CT125
213 Posts
Did a long rideout today to Dorset and back via some off road routes , 185 miles mostly in S1 , filled up and it took exactly 15 L right to the top, given that 210 or a tad more achievable which is identical to a GS1250 but less to fill up.
Pretty pleased with that!
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motorcycle
Sky Wheel Fuel tank Tire Vehicle

161 - 180 of 183 Posts