Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2018 AT DCT fuel gauge will not stop blinking. It has been sitting in a garage for about 6 months but has been started numerous times while I was overseas. I took it for a ride the other day and it started blinking, so I stopped at the gas station and filled up like normal. After refueling, restarting, and riding it more than 50 miles, and It will not stop flashing. Should I flush the fuel or put in cleaner? I cannot find a forum or any answers online. Any help would be great as I can't speak to anyone locally due to no one at work! Hope everyone is well these days! Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,785 Posts
I wonder if the issue is "mechanical" in nature, maybe related to a sort of corrosion?

Consider running the tank down and try to carefully inspect the inside tank for such evidence around the fuel level equipment?

In the meantime, welcome to the Forum himack1.

·
Registered
423 Posts
What is the indication? does it show FULL but still blinking? or it shows only the last dot flashing even through you filled her up?

If despite filling her up, it still shows that the tank is empty, than there could be the floater stacked. You will need to remove the tank, remove the level sensor and check it.

If there would be an electrical issue, the gauge would be showing a specific pattern.

In any case, the manual says that for any abnormal behaviour of the fuel gauge, go to Honda Service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Petros,
Thanks for commenting and trying to help! The fuel gauge continues to flashing like it is low fuel, it does not show full or empty, it just keeps flashing. The local Honda service center near me is closed, hopefully they open soon.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Perhaps the gasoline was low level at some point. The inactivity and hot made evaporate and the float got stuck.
Try to light hammer or shock the fuel tank to see if the floater "unstuck" ???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any update on this problem?
Not yet, I was able to find a shop that opened up. The Honda dealership that I took it to has not seen this type of issue before. The bike is there waiting to get a diagnosis as they are backed up on work. I'll circle back on the feed once I get some answers from the mechanic.

·
Registered
75 Posts
There is a connector that sits directly under the fuel pump.

We installed the mccruise on a buddies 2018 ATAS, about 3 weeks ago. we forgot to to connect that connector.

We went on a 2200 mile trip his fuel gauge flashed the entire time. Pulled tank when we got back, snapped the connector and problem went away.

I would check that connector.

You will see it 24:21

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey All,
Sorry for the delay, life has happened! Either way, I wanted to circle back on this so all would know what the problem was. ....Well it was rats... The blinking of the fuel gauge showed that I had a problem, and it meant that it was either the fuel gauge or something electrical. The team at my local dealership inspected the tank, and found no issues. Then the tech checked my lines... Well near my tail there were lines that were torn up by rats that had decided to have a snack on the wires near my taillights. Luckily the fix was simple, so they were able to fix the wires and get me back to normal... I live on a farm and was gone for some time, so the rats this past year were a pain, and decided to have lunch on my bike, along with other items in my garage. So either way, I'm back up and it was not the fuel gauge as suspected.

Just wanted to share with everyone what was up on this problem. Thanks for those who commented, and I hope everyone is doing well during all this world madness!

Cheers, and safe travels to all!

-M

1 - 11 of 11 Posts