Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran out of gas today, on purpose. Before the world shut down I had plans Of shipping bike to Montreal, riding across Labrador, then down and around Newfoundland. One stretch in Labrador seems to be approx 400km with no fuel. Today I ran out at 372.9kms. Mostly brisk on road twisty, with about 40km slow puttering.

·
Super Moderator
1,140 Posts
Did that on my old bike to find he “range” then subtracted –30 miles for “error” that number served me well... Well until I did one trip that had a lot of expressway mileage , then I promptly ran out of gas 10 miles BEFORE my estimated range. Luckily that bike had the old school petcock and reserve so I just reached down flipped it over and continued on my way to the next exit and gas station . Lesson learned - bigger numbers forth the ”extra” and when in remote and unknown rural areas carry extra gas..

hopefully this current situation will be over soon an we can all get back to our fun times on our AT’s

·
Registered
6 Posts
The AT had one?

I thought petcocks on fuel injected bikes were phased out with the use of fuel pumps. No?
I think the same. Before fuel was gravity feed to the carburetor. Now fuel pump pressurizes fuel. To have 2 levels of fuel inside tank, and to manually control them, I think it will be difficult. Or to install a dam, a solenoid or other fuel level control system will be cumbersome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts