Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took my new Africa Twin for its shakedown cruise in Death Valley California. Not knowing how the fuel gauge corresponds with how much gas there really is in the tank I was gassing up every 150 or so miles as the fuel gauge would be down to one bar. Interestingly enough I would average filling up with 3 gallons of gas and therefore still had two gallons in the tank. Seems a little odd that it would read down to one bar when there is still a couple of gallons in there!

The one weird thing that occurred is that I was gone down a long 8% grade with about 170 miles on that particular tank and the bike started to miss like it was running out of gas. I would give it throttle and it would sort itself out. I was thinking that maybe I was down to empty on the tank but when I finally made it to the gas station (180 miles on the trip meter) I only put 3.7 gallons of gas in it.

Anybody else has similar issues? Maybe with the pickup being in the back of the tank it wasn’t getting enough coverage over the fuel pump as it was going downhill?

Non related to this post the Bike was fun to ride and extremely comfortable. We put 1000 miles on it in 4 days and I never had any weird aches and pains as I would wake up the next morning and get back on the bike!!

Cheers!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I put a container of gas on my rack and headed out to determine the usable fuel of my manual queen by running it dry. The findings: each fuel bar reflects about .8 gallons and when the reserve light flashes there is about .8 gallons remaining in the tank. My tank uses 4.9 gallons before the engine starts sputtering on level ground. The actual fuel mileage is better than the computer calculates. Hope that helps

·
Registered
112 Posts
FWIW, mine drops to 1 bar from full relatively quickly. The gauge definitely isn't linear but I don't think I'ver owned anything with 2 or 4 wheels with a fuel gauge that was. I go by the trip meter, 400kms between fills when commuting leaves me around a couple of litres left in the tank which allows for varying traffic conditions and how late i've been running for work!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sorry, to make my comments more relevant, in your terms, 400kms, roughly 248 miles and 2 litres, half a US gallon according to my friend Google. I should also say that I use 98 Octane fuel.
I'm yet to run my bike so low that it begins to misfire, I'm not fond of walking....

·
Registered
191 Posts
Anybody else has similar issues? Maybe with the pickup being in the back of the tank it wasn’t getting enough coverage over the fuel pump as it was going downhill?
Not on the Africa Twin, and could be. Surprising to read about it without the fuel warning light on though.

Are you buying your gas in California (you don't give a location, but part of your trip was there)? Every year we switch to a Winter gas blend that yields lower fuel economy: Around 10% or so for my fuel injected bikes. Also if your bike is still breaking in, fuel economy may increase some after that.

After 1 bar, you get a flashing bar, and along with that (or possibly a little later) a warning light and a display selection between fuel remaining (I think it starts at .8 US gallon) or distance remaining.

On Summer gas I would typically get around 230 miles range, accounting for the miles remaining indication.

I have had a bike sputter and die apparently from sloshing when the fuel was low, then start and continue as if nothing had happened. But the fuel was pretty low (4 miles remaining indicated on the dash).

·
Registered
129 Posts
When my last bar flashes, it reads "3.4 litres" remaining. How do you get the "distance remaining" to appear?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback on the fuel gauge! They always seem to be a bit temperamental no matter what vehicle you have!

The one part that still baffles me is that the bike started to have an intermittent stumble like it was running out of gas while I still had over a gallon left in the tank (I Filled up with 3.7 gallons shortly thereafter). I was on a long downhill gradient of about 8% and my only thought was that with the bike pointing downhill that the gas was pooling towards the front of the tank and not getting good coverage at the fuel pump which I believe is towards the rear of the tank. As it would start to stumble I would give it more throttle and then it would pick back up. Unfortunatly the gas station was at the bottom of the hill so I was not able to test my theory that the above is what was happening which would have required flat piece of pavement.

Looks like a mystery to sort out on the next ride!

Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2018 Africa Twin Sport and wanted to test my fuel readings just for my own knowledge. I normally never let the gas get too low before I refill it but since I'll be taking it on a BDR soon, in case of an emergency I was curious to know how accurate the reading actually was. (My car, a Prius, is pretty accurate and after tests I have a little more gas than it says)
On the Africa twin sport my gauge was down to the last bar and flashing. Dash reading displayed 15 mi left before empty when it started to splutter. At the next light it wouldn't start. Dash still read 15 miles to go before empty. I started pushing it to the nearest gas station which was about a mile away while intermittently trying to start it. It did soon restart and I was able to literally coast into the gas station.
Its good to know that the specific reading I was getting was way off. 15 miles is quite a distance when you're testing for accuracy. I'll test it again this time with some gas in a separate canister. 🤣 But it's good to know approximately where the bottom is.

·
Super Moderator
6,792 Posts
Welcome to the Forum @@My600lbgirlfriend.

You are not the first to have issue with estimated remaining range on the ATAS. Did you recall (e.g. from the fuel receipt) how much gas you put back into the tank? Subtract that from the tank capacity will tell you exactly what you had left. If it is something like half a gallon, then maybe 15 miles range is about right. Maybe the issue is getting that last remaining fuel into your injectors, that is, there is some sort of fuel constriction?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Double Thumper!
You're right I should have paid more attention to that and I didn't get a receipt. I think I put 6 gallons even which would have meant I had roughly 0.4 left in the tank. I'm going to try to be precise this time. I think I'm getting somewhere between 35mpg and 40mpg. That's a mix of mostly highway and some off-roading.
I've heard some reviewers say they get 47mpg to 50mpg which seems a stretch. It's a fairly new bike because of the pandemic I haven't ridden as much as I'd like. I have only 2,100 mi on it so on the 3,000 mi maintenance I'll mention it to the servicemen at Honda.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I dared a test with mine today...probably not smart since I made myself hypothermic on the way in to work, but what the hell ;-)

My daily commute is the 327 in Quebec - a lot of Ryan F9's videos were done on that road before he moved out west. My run is 58 kms door to door - the way to work is mostly uphill, the way back down, but I am not light on the throttle in either direction. It's mostly a 70km/h zone, but I probably average over 100. In two days I went from a tank that was filled to the brim to hitting the second bar from empty about halfway home. This morning, in balmy 4*c, I filled up a liter bottle with gas and headed out. I hit the last bar about 15 km into the ride, but made an effort to stay within 10 km/h of the posted limits (to test the gas and to make sure I didn't lose traction). When I came home, in a balmy 7* c, I did the same speeds, taking advantage of the mostly downhill grade and watched the l/100km gauge. Staying at or near the speed limit in as high a gear as possible, this bike rivals the numbers I was getting from my CB500X. Yank the throttle, and it doubles it. While I didn't get to refill to test the amount remaining, I had the gas light come on with 23 kms to go and got home with no sputtering and no need to use the reserve bottle I packed.

350kms + in cold weather with a rider who likes carrying pace and power-sliding on the 5km gravel section of the commute is pretty respectable for a liter bike, in my personal opinion. I'm gonna try to stick to the limits next spring when it's warmer and see if I can stretch it to 3 and a half or 4 trips.

·
Super Moderator
6,792 Posts
I dared a test with mine today...probably not smart since I made myself hypothermic on the way in to work, but what the hell ;-)

My daily commute is the 327 in Quebec - a lot of Ryan F9's videos were done on that road before he moved out west. My run is 58 kms door to door - the way to work is mostly uphill, the way back down, but I am not light on the throttle in either direction. It's mostly a 70km/h zone, but I probably average over 100. In two days I went from a tank that was filled to the brim to hitting the second bar from empty about halfway home. This morning, in balmy 4*c, I filled up a liter bottle with gas and headed out. I hit the last bar about 15 km into the ride, but made an effort to stay within 10 km/h of the posted limits (to test the gas and to make sure I didn't lose traction). When I came home, in a balmy 7* c, I did the same speeds, taking advantage of the mostly downhill grade and watched the l/100km gauge. Staying at or near the speed limit in as high a gear as possible, this bike rivals the numbers I was getting from my CB500X. Yank the throttle, and it doubles it. While I didn't get to refill to test the amount remaining, I had the gas light come on with 23 kms to go and got home with no sputtering and no need to use the reserve bottle I packed.

350kms + in cold weather with a rider who likes carrying pace and power-sliding on the 5km gravel section of the commute is pretty respectable for a liter bike, in my personal opinion. I'm gonna try to stick to the limits next spring when it's warmer and see if I can stretch it to 3 and a half or 4 trips.
Sounds just about right for the conditions @B-Nads. Yeah, she's a pig when maintained above 120, so you will find more range at posted limits for sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts