Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys (Ladies also of course)
First timer on forums ..so be gentle with me if I am not asking this question in the right way or place..
Just reaching the initial 600 miles on Adv Sports 2018 Africa Twin .. Loving it .. But .. when my Fuel Range reached circa 20 miles the bike lags and splutters like it is just about to run completely out of fuel .. But when filling I can only get 20 liters in the tank and as I said it showed as though I had 20 miles to still go on the range.. Is this normal? seems very weird and a little disconcerting..

And advice to this newbie much appreciated..

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi Malcom welcom to the forum.

I haven't run my bike down to 20 miles range but usually I find they will keep running beyond the fuel gauge.
My gauge often tells me I'm getting low on fuel but I always seem to have more litres left than the fuel gauge suggests.

As for the splutters maybe your tank breather is not as clear as it should be. Do you get a sound when you open the fuel cap?

Your dealer should sort it for you when you have your service.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ... Breather ..Yes good shout. Due anyhow at dealer for 1st 600 mile service so I will ask.. Is 20L full capacity on ATAS ? thought it was 24L ? Great to get your feedback .. much appreciated.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yes. Definitely bring it up at your dealership.

If after the service it still happens, I would keep notes or a diary of sorts so you have documentary evidence to wave under his nose if you think there really is something amiss.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had similar symptoms, but they were due to water in the fuel.

I bought fuel in a very rural area and bought premium. Apparently no one there uses premium so it had water in the fuel.

It ran fine for a while but at about half of a tank it started acting like it was starving for fuel. I had to roll off the gas to keep it from stumbling, and it had no power. It would continue to slow down until I stopped. If I stopped and turned it off for 5 minutes it would clear up for a bit when the water settled. However, it would return soon and the lower the tank, the more often it occurred.

I filled it up again at just past a half tank as it was so bad, and I added a bottle of fuel conditioner / water absorber at the same time. That helped a lot and it didn't reoccur until it was almost empty. At about 1/4 tank it started happening again.

One more fill up and another bottle of conditioner fully solved the issue.

I then completed my road trip to include multiple full tanks at high-speed with no issues.

Don

·
Registered
991 Posts
I had read that a few members had similar issues and it was a clogged fuel filter that was choking things off. If it's in for service you could have them check that, too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I’m taking my 2019 ATAS in to the dealership today to have it looked at. Had the same problem with bike cutting out. I too thought it was bad fuel and put in some Heet alcohol to fix it. I thought the problem was solved but no. As soon as the fuel gets low and air temperature gets high it crops up again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just had this problem crop up on the last leg (thank goodness) of a 5000 mile trip to Alaska. My 2019 ATAS DCT started acting up at like 95 degrees and while moving fast on a crowded highway, not a fun experience. We tried numerous things that all worked for several miles before acting up again. We definitely filled up in many interesting gas stations while we were in Canada but this was well into the states (ID to be exact). When I opened the fuel lid I got the sucking sound and was sure I had solved the problem, and wow did she take of and run great, until the sputtering starved fuel feeling came back. Then I closed the lid and all was well for exactly 11 miles and then sputter was back. Made me think it wasn't fuel that was the culprit. Bike is at Honda now and I await their take. As it is I'm frustrated since it is a new bike with low miles and so much potential for fun if I can trust it (isn't that why you buy a Honda after all?).

·
Registered
16 Posts
@EpicTrekker. Did you get your bike back yet. Mine is still in the shop.

Mine too is still in the shop:(.
I finally got word yesterday that it will be covered by warranty and the techs at Monarch Honda FINALLY said it is a known issue and the fuel pump is on order. They didn’t know when it would be in and said Honda is doing a lot of these right now. Wonder if it has made recall status yet? It took them way too long to let me know that warranty would cover this and Monarch has not been good about keeping me in the loop, AND I will miss out on riding the bike for a good chunk of our riding season, but I’m glad warranty will take care of it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good luck on the wait. Took just over 2 months to get mine back on the road. Mine started exactly like yours.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Honda has been slow to admit there is a problem with their bikes. I too was getting mixed reports from the dealer vs. Honda rep on status etc. of fuel pumps, tank replacement etc. Even the Honda customer service rep. Had no idea how many bikes were or are affected. It’s like the whole issue is cloaked in secrecy.
Good luck with your bike! Mine is fixed now and running fine again

·
Registered
295 Posts
Been reading here and on advrider about this fuel tank issue. How prevalent is it? Is it EVERY ATAS? Or is it hit and miss? What percentage are we seeing? From what I've read/seen, at leasts those that make posts it doesn't seem like every one is affected.....

Just wondering how concerned I should be about this. If I should not take long off-road ride into the boonies....

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I got mine back the techs said Honda was day only about 20 bikes so far had been affected with this problem, and that they were thinking it would become a recall. If all the people online mentioning this problem are a fraction of the people who have 2019 ATASs then can’t image that number is correct... Also, what they told me was it had something to do with the tank manufacturing and metal flaking off and messing with the fuel pump. They did some acid wash on the inside of the tank, which left it looking rusty on the inside (and left me concerned). I hope I don’t have to go back or have a trip messed up over this again. I’m thinking about doing the Guglatech upgrade to avoid having the problem again, anybody done the Guglatech upgrade yet?

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts