Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a fuel tank swapped at Honda, done 300 miles and managed to limp it back to HONDA on Saturday barely running, not sure if it’s a fuel related issue, but if you switch it off and back on it is better for maybe a mile or 2, actually cut out 3/4 times in 30 miles,
Possibly fuel pump, pressure reg or map sensor, only topped fuel up on Saturday morning still had 200 miles on fuel from previous week, does anyone know if replacement tanks have some kind of internal coating for storage reasons?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Kinked fuel hose when you put things back together? It's easy to do. I've done it on another bike and it ran like a bag of turd and would not have enough fuel pressure to accelerate properly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to let you know, the problem was the non return valve in the pump so would not keep pressure, seems fine now!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello to the community. I write from Belgium, Europe. Owner of an ATAS 2018, I was alerted by a friend of mine who experience twice that issue of dramatic loss of power whilst riding on the highway. Diagnostic: welding debris in the fuel filter and pump... After reading this thread, I decided to check mine: well, guys, it's an issue indeed. See pictures. I replaced the Honda fuel filter who was in very bad state and I hope that it'll do it untill Honda answers the letter I'll sent next week. It's a real shame to provide such poor quality for a brand like Honda, and for a bike of that price. Without speaking of the security of the pilot... I have replaced it by the one from Guglatech (fuel filter+ filter for the pump assy). The original is bullshit.

86347622_10157792674418913_1010589887600001024_n.jpg
86969841_10157792674518913_2161068303139733504_n.jpg
86725673_10157792674668913_1816546419159334912_n.jpg
86179938_10157792991193913_8675570214043123712_o.jpg

·
Administrator
1,903 Posts
I experienced this issue with my 2019 ATAS at about 3,000 miles. Honda cleaned the tank, replaced the fuel pump and both fuel injectors under warranty. Time/distance will tell if the fix is permanent or not. Swapping the tank, unfortunately, won't resolve the issue. That will only kick the can down the road. The replacement tank will have the same issue as the original.

If you live in the USA and experience this problem, file a Vehicle Safety Complain with NHTSA and perhaps we can get the ball rolling on an investigation/recall of the issue. I filed my complaint with them already,

·
Super Moderator
3,512 Posts
Sorry you too have experienced this Mr. Belgian. Not a great way to subscribe to the Forum, but that is one purpose of the Forum. So, welcome to the Forum. I hope you get fair resolution.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello to the community. I write from Belgium, Europe. Owner of an ATAS 2018, I was alerted by a friend of mine who experience twice that issue of dramatic loss of power whilst riding on the highway. Diagnostic: welding debris in the fuel filter and pump... After reading this thread, I decided to check mine: well, guys, it's an issue indeed. See pictures. I replaced the Honda fuel filter who was in very bad state and I hope that it'll do it untill Honda answers the letter I'll sent next week. It's a real shame to provide such poor quality for a brand like Honda, and for a bike of that price. Without speaking of the security of the pilot... I have replaced it by the one from Guglatech (fuel filter+ filter for the pump assy). The original is bullshit.

View attachment 53350 View attachment 53351 View attachment 53350 View attachment 53351 View attachment 53352 View attachment 53352 View attachment 53353 View attachment 53353
Does someone have to die before Honda takes full responsibility for this problem? It's ridiculous, IMHO.

·
Administrator
1,903 Posts
Does someone have to die before Honda takes full responsibility for this problem? It's ridiculous, IMHO.
Hopefully not. It is a situation that can be potentially dangerous though. Do file I report with that link I provided above if you have had this experience and hopefully we can get something done before someone does get injured or worse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry you too have experienced this Mr. Belgian. Not a great way to subscribe to the Forum, but that is one purpose of the Forum. So, welcome to the Forum. I hope you get fair resolution.
Hi, Honda777. No problem. As a former quality manager, I know **** can happen. The most important is how the manufacturer tackle the issue. I wrote to my dealer who immediately forwarded to Honda Belgium. He says he's never been informed of that problem so far, but he's grateful to be warned. Let's see...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Last update: I received a call from Honda Benelux that will replace pump and injectors under warranty. They aknowledge there are problems with inner welding coating that desagregate. They say replacing the tank will just program the problem again, and they propose to clean it, coat with a special product and replace the injection spares.

·
Super Moderator
3,512 Posts
Are you convinced Belgian? " ... coat with a special product ...". As long as the warranty on the new work is reset.

·
Registered
6 Posts
@Double Thumper: to be honest, no. But they ensured me that the warranty would remain. And I'll protect the pump with the Guglatrech filter.

·
Administrator
1,903 Posts
@Double Thumper: to be honest, no. But they ensured me that the warranty would remain. And I'll protect the pump with the Guglatrech filter.
Yes, they told me a similar thing. They said that the issue is noted and will follow the VIN and that Honda will now own the problem regardless of warranty status.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I experienced this issue with my 2019 ATAS at about 3,000 miles. Honda cleaned the tank, replaced the fuel pump and both fuel injectors under warranty. Time/distance will tell if the fix is permanent or not. Swapping the tank, unfortunately, won't resolve the issue. That will only kick the can down the road. The replacement tank will have the same issue as the original.

If you live in the USA and experience this problem, file a Vehicle Safety Complain with NHTSA and perhaps we can get the ball rolling on an investigation/recall of the issue. I filed my complaint with them already,

I have this exact issue on my 2019 ATAS 3000 miles and when I’m at half a tank feels like it’s starving for fuel cutting out from a stop & when I was on the freeway accelerating from 60 to 70 dangerous I’ll follow up with the complaint as well..

·
Administrator
1,903 Posts
I have this exact issue on my 2019 ATAS 3000 miles and when I’m at half a tank feels like it’s starving for fuel cutting out from a stop & when I was on the freeway accelerating from 60 to 70 dangerous I’ll follow up with the complaint as well..
Definitely sounds like the same issue for sure. Sorry that it has happened to you as well. It is frustrating and the condition can definitely be dangerous. I had a close call with mine where it started to sputter after I had crossed the dotted and was mid-pass.

NHTSA can't force a recall, but the more complaints there are on record, the better chance we might see one.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've been having an absolute blast with my bike ever since I cleaned the tank and installed the Guglatech filter. I'll wait till there is an official recall before taking my bike in to the dealership.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts