Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
1,893 Posts
It still might be beneficial toward advancing that official recall if you will file a report if you have not. Even if you do not take it to the dealership until/if one is issued.

·
Super Moderator
3,500 Posts
I have this exact issue on my 2019 ATAS 3000 miles and when I’m at half a tank feels like it’s starving for fuel cutting out from a stop & when I was on the freeway accelerating from 60 to 70 dangerous I’ll follow up with the complaint as well..
Unfortunate you had this experience. Hopefully you will get resolution, or do as other forum members have done. Nevertheless, welcome to the Forum Roadrowe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm located in Romania but bought my ATAS in Budapest, Hungary.
I have had the same issue with my 2019 ATAS. Fuel tank level 1/3. Bike lost power, than i restarted the engine (i tought it got installed windows :) ). Than the bike worked for a few kilometers than again. The Honda dealer was on my way so i visited them. They told that i probably used bad quality fuel (of course, i'm the one who is fault...). At the dealer changed oil because it was time so we changed that. Than i refilled my tank with gas and headed towards home. After 250-300 km the bike started to do the trick again. I knew that it was't the fuel quality.
Thanks to this forum i realized that there is an issue with the tanks on ATAS. I than called the dealer and they agreed that this is an issue and told me that they have to clean the filter and pump. They did this but in the meantime i paid for this service while the bike is still under warranty. They started the procedure... They said they should replace the filter and the pump and tank. After a week they told they will just replace the pump, and filter but no tank change. After that they told that Honda is not replacing the fuel filter and pump because now it's clean and the pump is working.. wtf? I than called Honda Trading Romania and they didn't answered of course. Their service is very poor, don't even know that they have some knoweledge to work for Honda.

I called than Honda Trading in UK, i think thats the official one and responsible for Europe. But this time they picked up the phone in like 2-3 seconds, not like the quys in Romania. They gave me the cell number of the guy from Honda Trading Romania. What a surprise, westarted to talk and i thought my issue will be solver (tank replaced, filter and pump replaced etc.) But not. They told me that changing the tank and pump is not indicated, because everything works. I asked them to send me a writing that if the pump fails after 2 years and the bike is not under warranty anymore, would they replace the pump for free? They said yes... but i didn't thrusted them.

I than had an idea and called the dealer in Budapest from where i bought the bike. They said that this is a known issue and they already replaced tanks, filter and pump for 2 ATAS bikes. I sent them pictures of the dirty filter and inside of the fuel tank. Sent them a copy of the service book too. Next day they called me and told me that in 2 days the pump, tank, and filter plus some O-rings for the tank will be there. I ended up loading my bike in a Ford Transit van and drove 850 km to Budapest from Romania. They did the fix there and came back the same day to Romania with a new tank, pump, filter on my ATAS.

A real shame for Honda Trading Romania. I'm wondering how can i contact Honda in Japan to ask their point of view about this case. Warranty in Euripe should be equal anywhere. I might gonna end up sueing Honda in romani to reimburse for my trip to BUdapest with the bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That is a lot of grief. I am sure many at the Forum feel your pain. :confused:

Welcome to the Forum @mkoros.
Thank you! My problem is that i really really hate the atitude of the car/motorbike factories and dealers. While some if the dealers and car factories deserve a big thank you, other and quite a lot are just trying to sell and sell but do not take any responsibility. I'm sure all of these guys hate me and for good reason. But i hope i'm not fault because i just want to get something i paid for. And not just me but all of the team members here. One thing is sure. If someone will encounter this issue with the bike, for sure the tank has to be replaced and the fueld pump and filter. By the way i bought the guglatech filter and that was mounted by the dealer in Budapest, Hungary into the tank. So hopefully i'll be ok for a while.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had the problem with my 2019 atas and it was fixed(at least so far). Some people have had the tank replaced and since most of the atas tanks seem to have that problem, the ugly situation returns again. They didn’t replace
My tank and at first I was bummed , however after reading about all the return of the filter clogging on new tanks I am glad it wasn’t replaced.
Hope yours is fixed for good! Just saying what I’ve observed since I have been following this in multiple forums for some time now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the problem with my 2019 atas and it was fixed(at least so far). Some people have had the tank replaced and since most of the atas tanks seem to have that problem, the ugly situation returns again. They didn’t replace
My tank and at first I was bummed , however after reading about all the return of the filter clogging on new tanks I am glad it wasn’t replaced.
Hope yours is fixed for good! Just saying what I’ve observed since I have been following this in multiple forums for some time now.
Hi @Chasdog ,

Yes, there is a chance that the new tank could end up in this heath again. As a preparation as i told earlier i've asked the dealer to mount the guglatech filter in the tank. That has the extra textile filter hose what will most likely stop the first rezidues/flakes from the tank. The other reason i'm happy about the tank replacement is that the dealer from Romania who cleaned the filter and tank at the first glance 2 months ago, somehow they damaged my tank. they hit it with someting or so but the it was a dent on it. Paiting has not been damaged but there was a dent on the tank. Also the fairing has not been mounted properlty back to the motorcycle. When they told the bike was ready to go, they've put it in the direction to ride out from the garage. Right side was damaged. I jumped on the bike from the left. Didn't observed. I just saw at home two days later when cleaned the bike. I than also observed the fairing has not been mounted correctly so.... :)
Anyways i'll follow up with a camera periodically the inside of the tank than i think after waranty ends i'll renew the inside of the tank with POR15 tank repair kit. This is what the dealer told me in Hungary that this will gonna be forever fix for the tank. this is how the old tanks are being renewed also. I didn't saw it yet but looks promising.

Dealer from Hungary told that out of 40 bikes this was the third with this problem. So i hope it's just sphoradic.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts