Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I am happy Honda has finally admitted the problem with the fuel tanks and is doing something about it. I am off this week and made plans to get this done because of this. My dealer's service department is above average in their customer service. This is not one of those times. Admittedly this is minor... Just don't get stuck at your dealer and here is why:

I got the recall notice weeks ago for the fuel tank and brakes on my 2020 ATAS DCT. I took it into my dealer an hour away yesterday. Because they told me they ordered all the part needed and it would take 4 hours I opted to ride it there early enough so it would be cooled down before they open. That went well until 2 hours later the service guy comes to me and tells me that their test failed so now they have to order the part that needs replacing.

So now I was stranded without a vehicle an hour away from home and my bike won't be ready until the next day at earliest. I arranged a ride but it was a surprise to me and a waste of my time. If I knew this was a possibility I would have rented a trailer instead. At least then I would have had an escape vehicle.
  • Honda doesn't allow dealers to stock the offending part even when they are doing the recall service.
  • Honda has the service people take the bike apart (removal of the tank) and do some test to determine if it is one of the offending parts (which mine is so good thing I'm getting this done)
  • Know that no matter what, if you bike needs to have the part replaced the dealer has to then order the part so it will be at least a day of waiting.
My bike is #000005 of the North American 2020 ATAS so I am not surprised that my bike was affected. When purchasing one of the first bikes of a new modal I would expect to be a bit of a beta tester. That is why I have an extended warranty as part of my "deal". I am also happy Honda did this recall and this work is being done. Since my bike failed their test I know this would have been a problem eventually. What I didn't like was being told, "we have ordered all the parts" then having this surprise. This situation is more on the dealer than Honda except that Honda's QC failed on our bikes and didn't admit it for years.

I can even understand Honda's decision to not allow dealers to stock the offending part. When I was there yesterday I noticed they still have a 2019 ATAS, a 2020 ATAS manual, a 2020 AT manual and a 2021 ATAS sitting there. The 2019 and 2020s were there when I bought mine (I got the first one they brought in because I kept asking them for a 2020 ATAS hence #5). I don't think they get many ATs.

I shared this so others do not get stranded like I did. Expect the recall service to take a day or two. Maybe you will be pleasantly surprised instead.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear about the hassle, though... I have an appointment on Friday to get mine done. Luckily it's not far away.

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
I can even understand Honda's decision to not allow dealers to stock the offending part.
Are you sure that is Honda's policy regarding not stocking the offending part and not your dealers policy?

Previously with my 2016 AT, my wife's 2017 AT, and the recalled circlip for the OEM Center Stands, and then most recently with my 2019 and the Tank Issue, I would get a call from the dealer. They would tell me that they had "X" amount of the offending part in stock and asked if I would like to set up an appointment to have the work done, if so they will set one aside for me. The only way I would then get stuck would be if they discovered some other issue in the process of the repair. The call I received regarding the fuel tank filter kit was that they currently had 4 and would I like to schedule in for 1 of them.

I am also not sure I understand the "test" bit, since it is a recall. They should have to perform the prescribed recall work regardless. But maybe that is a US requirement only?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Are you sure that is Honda's policy regarding not stocking the offending part and not your dealers policy?
You could be correct. I can only go off of what the service person told me and they blamed Honda. Given past experience with this dealer I could see it being either way.

The sales person I deal with there is great. The service department is usually good. In business who can you really trust anymore?

I am also not sure I understand the "test" bit, since it is a recall. They should have to perform the prescribed recall work regardless.
I bet this is a "Yep it's broke" kind of thing which is either their decision or Honda's. Again, I can only go off of what I am told.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hmmm, I take mine in tomorrow (Thursday). They ordered the parts when I made the appointment and confirmed they had the parts before actually scheduling my appointment. But what a hassle thinking you can wait but could not given the distance....

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
You could be correct. I can only go off of what the service person told me and they blamed Honda. Given past experience with this dealer I could see it being either way.

The sales person I deal with there is great. The service department is usually good. In business who can you really trust anymore?
That also may be a US vs other markets thing. But from what the service guy told me, they were given a heads up that the recall was going to be issued, so "they ordered a bunch of them and 4 came in the first shipment," so they were calling customers whose VIN's were on the list.

Here is a link to the notice Honda sent to the dealers in December 2020 telling them that parts were available for order and would begin shipping January 4, 2021

·
Registered
32 Posts
My bike is in today for the 600
mile service and ABS modulator replacement. I spoke with the dealer last week and they had my replacement part in stock (they said) so hopefully I will be able to get my bike back this afternoon. Still worried though! Watch this space.

I did email them last week with the serial number of the ABS modulator showing it is in the replacement range (thanks to advice on this forum showing how) . Maybe this was enough for them to bend the rules and get the part in advance.

Its simply not good enough for dealers to strip and inspect the bike, with no means to repair same day. This is what loses customers to other brands.

·
Registered
2018 Africa Twin AS std
38 Posts
First off, I am happy Honda has finally admitted the problem with the fuel tanks and is doing something about it. I am off this week and made plans to get this done because of this. My dealer's service department is above average in their customer service. This is not one of those times. Admittedly this is minor... Just don't get stuck at your dealer and here is why:

I got the recall notice weeks ago for the fuel tank and brakes on my 2020 ATAS DCT. I took it into my dealer an hour away yesterday. Because they told me they ordered all the part needed and it would take 4 hours I opted to ride it there early enough so it would be cooled down before they open. That went well until 2 hours later the service guy comes to me and tells me that their test failed so now they have to order the part that needs replacing.

So now I was stranded without a vehicle an hour away from home and my bike won't be ready until the next day at earliest. I arranged a ride but it was a surprise to me and a waste of my time. If I knew this was a possibility I would have rented a trailer instead. At least then I would have had an escape vehicle.
  • Honda doesn't allow dealers to stock the offending part even when they are doing the recall service.
  • Honda has the service people take the bike apart (removal of the tank) and do some test to determine if it is one of the offending parts (which mine is so good thing I'm getting this done)
  • Know that no matter what, if you bike needs to have the part replaced the dealer has to then order the part so it will be at least a day of waiting.
My bike is #000005 of the North American 2020 ATAS so I am not surprised that my bike was affected. When purchasing one of the first bikes of a new modal I would expect to be a bit of a beta tester. That is why I have an extended warranty as part of my "deal". I am also happy Honda did this recall and this work is being done. Since my bike failed their test I know this would have been a problem eventually. What I didn't like was being told, "we have ordered all the parts" then having this surprise. This situation is more on the dealer than Honda except that Honda's QC failed on our bikes and didn't admit it for years.

I can even understand Honda's decision to not allow dealers to stock the offending part. When I was there yesterday I noticed they still have a 2019 ATAS, a 2020 ATAS manual, a 2020 AT manual and a 2021 ATAS sitting there. The 2019 and 2020s were there when I bought mine (I got the first one they brought in because I kept asking them for a 2020 ATAS hence #5). I don't think they get many ATs.

I shared this so others do not get stranded like I did. Expect the recall service to take a day or two. Maybe you will be pleasantly surprised instead.
A few weeks ago I received my recall card in the mail from Honda and next day (Tues) I took it to the nearest dealer, also one hour drive. The lady at the service counter said I was the second one they dealt with. She got on her magic machine and within 5 minutes told me that the recall kits were on the way (fuel tank and center stand) and they would call when it comes in. By end of week they called to notify me kits were in and to bring bike in any time. Next morning I trailered it up there and they estimated 2 or 3 days. Also they allowed me to leave the trailer so I didn't have to drag it back and forth. By 4pm that same afternoon they called to tell me the bike was all done and I could pick it up any time! Next morning I brought it home and all is well. Easy peasy! I have no idea why your dealer would put you through all of that BS because I'm pretty sure that the 2018 ATAS recall was same through 2020.
Deke
NE Michigan
2018 ATAS 6sp

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the 2018 ATAS recall was same through 2020.
It is, absolutely. The recall includes ALL 2018-2019 CRF1000L2/D2 and CERTAIN 2020 CRF1100L4/D4 (Africa Twin Adventure Sports). If 2020 falls into the range of affected models, the kit is the same. The kit specifically includes Suction Filter, Fuel Filter, Pressure Regulator Assy, Pressure Regulator O-ring, Fuel Pump O-ring, Fuel Chamber, Fuel Pump Packing Base.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Here is some partial crap that came out from the gas tank after the dealership supposedly did the recall work on a brand new 2020 ATAS ES that my friend bought last week. Told him not to ride the bike, till I had inspected the gas tank and given all clear. As I suspected, lackluster job from the dealership in the doing the recall work. Ended up doing it my way with 1 round of Vinegar, 1 round of Isopropyl Alcohol and 3 rounds of fresh gas. Honda.....you f**ked up big time!!!!!!

Guglatech filter is going to be installed before the tank goes back on the bike. Will finish running wires and installing electricals first.

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
Here is some partial crap that came out from the gas tank after the dealership supposedly did the recall work on a brand new 2020 ATAS ES that my friend bought last week. Told him not to ride the bike, till I had inspected the gas tank and given all clear. As I suspected, lackluster job from the dealership in the doing the recall work. Ended up doing it my way with 1 round of Vinegar, 1 round of Isopropyl Alcohol and 3 rounds of fresh gas. Honda.....you f**ked up big time!!!!!!

Guglatech filter is going to be installed before the tank goes back on the bike. Will finish running wires and installing electricals first.

View attachment 61681

I can't say I am surprised. The warranty guy at my dealership seemed very skeptical that the recall work was doing anything other than kicking the can down the road, isn't a long-term soluion and didn't address the issue of the tank itself. Time will tell.

·
Super Moderator
5,598 Posts
It is still disappointing to still witness.

This and similar related threads have enough associated images to create a [n ugly] collage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My bike is in today for the 600
mile service and ABS modulator replacement. I spoke with the dealer last week and they had my replacement part in stock (they said) so hopefully I will be able to get my bike back this afternoon. Still worried though! Watch this space.

I did email them last week with the serial number of the ABS modulator showing it is in the replacement range (thanks to advice on this forum showing how) . Maybe this was enough for them to bend the rules and get the part in advance.

Its simply not good enough for dealers to strip and inspect the bike, with no means to repair same day. This is what loses customers to other brands.
Well, that’s the first service and ABS module done. Now to get some miles in now the sun is shining.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The more I learn about what is actually happening and with this latest treatment from my dealer who is doing the work (no comms on if they got the part and I need to travel to get my bike back today as tomorrow the weather turns) I'm not so sure I am confident in my bike anymore. Or Honda for that matter.

These bikes are not cheap. The crud I see in many people's pics doesn't pass well through a fuel injector.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm just glad that I did not have to deal with the dealership for doing this recall work. I also proactively took the necessary steps to fix this issue before it blew up bigtime! I have put on 8k+ trouble-free miles on my bike now and don't regret a single second I put in for doing the work myself. I have no other issues with the bike, it performs flawlessly!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
doing the work myself
The more I think about it the more I wish I just did it myself. I can't really trust this dealer now and am probably not going to use them anymore. What was communicated to me by them to be a 4 hour job is now days. They got the part but can't get it done today and I'd don't want them rushing it.

Honda don't give a toss, the Honda of old is long gone unfortunately.
Unfortunately I'm seeing that more and more. What actual company does give a crap anymore? Not many. It is all about share prices and nothing else.
Even dealers complain about Honda and their lack of communication with sales. I seen that when I was trying to buy this bike.

This dealer has a polarizing reputation. Many hate them and many love them. I've had my share of issues with them over the purchase of my two bikes. Enough now to not take the time to travel an hour to deal with them. There is a very small dealer 15 minutes from me. Guess I will be giving them my business going forward and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If my dealer (honda Newcastle) found they couldn't get my bike repaired in the time they expected, they would have lent me one of their loan bikes to go home and return on whenever my bike was ready. If all the loan bikes were already out I'm pretty sure they would have given me one of their demonstrators to get home on.
Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2020 AT AS DCT has taken a lot longer than a day for my recall work as it's been at the dealer since March 03. Prior to taking it in, I started it to get it ready to load in my enclosed trailer as we still had snow. It is parked in a heated garage so starting it was not a problem. After running for a few minutes, the bike just turned off as if you hit the kill switch except everything electrical was totally dead. I did a quick check and the main fuse was fine but wasn't getting a reading on the battery. I've not added or touched any electrical or done anything to the battery. After it died I did put on my lithium battery charger and it would not start charging as it indicated a battery fault. When the dealer checked it they said the battery was totally shot. Considering it only has a little over 2000km's that is pretty bad. The bike is always parked /stored in a garage with heat on in the winter and the bike is started and ran on a regular basis. With the battery dead hopefully something else isn't gone but it's hard to check without a battery to turn the electrical on. Talked to the dealer today and the new battery finally came in today. They had put in a warranty claim when they ordered the battery but Honda has not responded yet. When the dealer ordered the battery he asked me if I wanted to go ahead with it prior to approval or denial of the warranty claim. I said that I really didn't have a choice as of right now. At the time I thought all I have is a $20,000.00+ CDN Honda paperweight. The dealer was good enough to tell me that if the battery is not covered he would work with me and give it to me for his cost. He is also looking at getting me a Guglatech to add on while the tank is off. I love the bike but have some big doubts on reliability with these things in the very short time I've had it. I live in a very rural area with most of my driving in areas with poor to no cell coverage so it concerns me. I have the extended warranty but it will be interesting to see how much is covered if this is any indication of things to come after just 2000km's. The Dealer has been very good with me but they are an hour and a half away, each way. The snow is finally melting and I'm ready to get the bike back and start driving soon.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The latest on my situation is this:
  • Service person I've been dealing with tells me I was told in a phone conversation that this would be the case. (That they would take the bike apart and "test it" then order the part.)
    • I never talked to anyone over the phone. Only eMail and in person on the day I rode it in.
    • What kind of idiot do they think I am that I would tell them I was riding it in and expecting it to take 4-5 hours then I would ride it home? I was very clear on my intentions.
    • This story stinks and at best shows a sever lack of communication and at worst dishonesty.
  • They close at 6pm and he called me at 5:40pm to tell me the bike was ready yesterday.
  • Today's weather is crap so I'm not getting a ride then riding in this snow and wind garbage.
  • They are closed Friday and reopen Monday.
I eMailed Honda asking for compensation for the travel expenses before I even left the dealer on Tuesday. I just received a response where they tell me to ask for a loaner and if not that then I can submit my expenses to Honda for "consideration". Better than a "no" but I am not hopeful.

The whole reason I did it this week was I am off. If I knew this would be the case then I wouldn't have done it yet. I am back to work on Monday so now have to take time away from work because they lied to me. Now I'm afraid they rushed the job even though I was again explicit that I did not want the job rushed as it is important to clean the tank out to the best of their ability.

I just might sell this thing now that I'm not sure I can trust it. I love this bike but I don't want to be left stranded due to a fuelling issue out in the middle of nowhere.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts