Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
You can't really blame Honda. They haven't tested the guglatech and they don't know what long term problems there might be with it. Who knows - maybe the guglatech gets attacked by some strange formulation of fuel somewhere in the world, and dissolves and causes an engine seizure. I know it's not at all likely but you can't blame Honda for not approving it. You can blame Honda with not devising a fix that is likely to work though. It looks from the video that some people may have installed them with the sock pointing the wrong way - so that it interferes with the level thing on reserve and if the owner has had the dealer fit it, he's probably furiously chucked it back to the dealer when his fuel level readout has started misbehaving.
Mike

·
Registered
213 Posts
I applaud Guglatech for going through the effort of cutting open an ATAS tank to get a visual of the inside of the tank with the two different filters - Mazinga fuel pump filter and the fuel filler neck sock.

Originally, I had the issue with the fuel filler neck sock installing it on my 2018 ATAS CRF1000 per the instructions with the Green Boy method (triangulated cable tie to keep bag spread open) disrupting the fuel level float sensor. This was with the filler neck sock facing rearward from the gas cap so I removed it to have an accurate fuel gauge. The filter sock did suffer a bit of damage on removal due to the sharp edges on the underside of the filler neck inside the fuel tank even though I was careful. A while back I decided to revisit and the damage was relatively minor to the outer protective layer of the filter so reinstalled and positioned to face the left side of the tank as Guglatech now suggests as well. I haven't had the issue when fueling up where the gauge wouldn't go past half so that's good news.

You can see the seams on the filler neck sock and the 90° rotation from rearward to facing left. I'm not sure if when installed facing rearward that you'd actually be able to rotate the filler neck sock (without removing) as Guglatech easily does in the video with one hand inside the cutaway tank to assist. Regardless, it's nice to have the additional filtration catching contamination that might be in the gas while filling up.

Original install facing rearward

Installation rotated 90° facing left (top is just twisted slightly more than that)

As for the Mazinga fuel pump sock, when recently posting my fuel tank cleaning and Guglatech install from last year, I had mentioned the thought that with the Mazinga fuel pump filter sock being so long it was perhaps better to fold it over facing rearward just to avoid any possibility it could also contact the fuel level float sensor. As Guglatech now shows with the tank cutaway that's not possible which is nice to know so don't even have to worry about it.

For the ATAS, I feel the Mazinga fuel pump sock is practically a requirement to help reduce the the effects of the defective fuel tank welds and subsequent contamination whether Honda approves or not.

·
Premium Member
2020 ATAS ES DCT
173 Posts
If only Honda had watched a YouTube video on how to weld galvanized steel prior to undertaking the task of making a fuel tank out of it. I bet the fuel tank in my 1975 GL1000 has a better looking interior than my 2020 ATAS does with only 425 miles on the odometer. I have not decided what or where I am taking the ATAS for the 8,000 mile service. I really do not want their service techs dismantling my Guglatech filters.

·
Registered
19 Posts
UPDATE on my 2020 AT Adventure Sport fuel tank recall and lithium battery issue. I finally picked my bike up at the dealer yesterday after a 7+ week stay. My dealer and service manager were excellent and most of the time was waiting on parts. The service manager ended up ordering some Guglatech filters and passed on the cost with no charge for installation for those who wanted. I jumped at this opportunity as I don't believe the Honda recall is a permanent fix. My bike was only run on premium non ethanol fuel from new. Prior to taking it in, I syphoned most of the fuel and found a fair bit of crud in the screen of the funnel. The dealer also said they got a fair amount out once the tank was off. They also had reasonable success using compressed air to try and clean the welds. Hopefully with the Guglatech I won't have to worry about this issue again.

The lithium battery is another story. As mentioned earlier, when getting ready to load the bike in my trailer it started fine. After idling approximately 5 minutes the bike just stopped and all electrical was dead. It turned out that the lithium battery had failed with just over 2000km's on the bike. It was always in a heated garage and started about once a month during the snow season. The bike was just past the one year mark from purchase and I also have the Honda extended warranty. The service manager tried two different approaches to put in a claim and both were eventually denied. Honda Canada told him a battery may be covered from day 60 to day 365 if it meets "certain" criteria. He asked why it starts at day 60 and was told if the battery fails in the first 60 days its the dealers fault with the prep. He was given the impression that these batteries would not be covered by Honda Canada under any circumstance. Including mine, the service manager has already dealt with 3 recent battery failures on these bikes. One was just on a brand new bike sitting in the show room from late November.

Now for the good and bad news for me. Since Honda Canada would not cover it, the service manager said he would work with me on the cost. In Canada the battery is $599.00. The dealers cost minus the old core is $399.00. The old core has a trade in value of $235.00 with the purchase of a new battery. I was charged the $399.00 for the new battery which I really appreciated under the circumstances. I have an excellent Dealer and service manager so this unpleasant circumstance was made a lot better knowing they have my back and will try and fight for me. Hopefully these issues don't return anytime soon and hopefully this information is helpful to anyone else in this situation.

I woke up to -10C this morning so I won't be rushing out for a ride on the AT even though I want to. Earlier in the post I mentioned about looking for a second bike to backup the AT. I lucked out by being in the right place at the right time and bought a 2021 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401. In the two weeks of ownership, I've already added a lot of things and absolutely love it. For the price, it's very hard to top the features it has. One thing that surprised me that it has is all the switches on the handlebars light up, which is not common on any bikes, ATV's or snowmobiles. My AT with it's huge amount of switches and nearly 4 times the value does not have this smart useful feature. Love both bikes and both will have their different special uses for me.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Hey @Canoeyak, that was a hard rub to manage regarding the battery. I would be perturbed too. Hopefully that is past now and there is no other issue like the charging system, weak short to ground, or similar.

LED illumination should be easy these days for manufacturers to add to their switchgear. I suspect it will become the standard going forward for a minimum class of bike. It is certainly much easier and more reliable than "light bulbs" in yesteryear motorcycles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been told by several "experts" that lithium batteries are excellent when they are working but they can also suddenly fail for no apparent reason or cause. Since my battery problem I've heard from others that have had similar circumstances in other products. My brother has a friend who uses lithium batteries in all their racing bikes and sometimes they last a long time and sometimes they fail after a few races. With all batteries nowadays, I think there is a little luck as to how long they will last.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I dropped my 2018 ATAS off for the fuel tank recall at the Honda store last Wed for my appt on Thurs May 6. I made the appt 2 months ago and they had the vin. They tell me that they need to order parts and will take up tp 2 weeks. I am not happy.

·
Administrator
3,002 Posts
I dropped my 2018 ATAS off for the fuel tank recall at the Honda store last Wed for my appt on Thurs May 6. I made the appt 2 months ago and they had the vin. They tell me that they need to order parts and will take up tp 2 weeks. I am not happy.
I keep hearing tales like this. It makes me appreciate my dealer more. They did it right having the parts on order even before the recall was made official. They called me right after the official recall to tell me that they had a kit there for me and just wanted to know when I wanted to come in and have the work done. No waiting for parts, no delays.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
I never really feel comfortable with my bike laid up in a service garage for weeks on end. They have to shuffle those "waiting" bikes every workday morning and evening to make room for work. In some cases the ignition keys are left in the instrument cluster as they bake and soak in the parking lot.

·
Administrator
3,002 Posts
I never really feel comfortable with my bike laid up in a service garage for weeks on end. They have to shuffle those "waiting" bikes every workday morning and evening to make room for work. In some cases the ignition keys are left in the instrument cluster as they bake and soak in the parking lot.
I am not comfortable with it either, but I do get it if you bring in your bike with an undiagnosed issue, the dealer determines what the problem is and has to order the part. There is no way they could know ahead of time.

But on this recall the dealers had the heads up that an official recall was going to be made, they knew the parts needed and the know-how many they sold in the affected VIN range.

My dealer said they were given a two-week heads up and order several of the kits, then started calling people on their list once the recall announcement was made.

BUT even if your dealer didn't order the parts ahead of time, why have the customer bring a bike in when they know exactly what needs to be done and they know full well they don't have the parts to do the job? Why not just say "we need to order the kit and we will call you as soon as it arrives and book you in?" It is having the customer bring the bike in and leaving it to sit for weeks (in some cases I have heard a month or more) when you know the issue and know you don't have the parts that kinda boggles me.

·
Registered
213 Posts
This is why I ordered the $85 Honda filter included in the recall and replaced it after more issues recently with cutting out and stalling.

2018-2020+ Africa Twin Adventure Sports (ATAS)...

In no way is this a good faith attempt by Honda and their dealer network to perform the recall in a timely and efficient manner. It's not unreasonable to expect dealers to have the parts in stock prior to bringing the bike in for a major safety recall. A call to Honda and follow up with the NHTSA wouldn't hurt.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts