Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you remove the fuel tank?

I didn't find instructions here, youtube, or online in general. I should probably buy the Honda service manual, but was waiting for an aftermarket one.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looking closer I worked it out more or less. There seems to be least one difficult to access push pin to remove the plastic tray behind the tank, but after removing that tray it seems like the tank would pivot up.

I was just trying to move the tank up a bit farther than I could with that tray in place.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Tank removal is easy, 1 bolt, two hoses, one hose connector and two wire connectors. When the bolt is loose, lift the rear end of the tank few inches and support with something, you get room for loosing hoses and wires. Then lift and pull backwards.

The hard and time consuming part is uninstalling the plastics. They look nice but are designed by complete idiot (street bike engineer). Tens of loose, plastic nipples, two different bolts, clips, pins, holes etc. I'd like to see the designer uninstalling these on Nowember night on 2 degrees C, with the help of headlight in Finnish forest, and not loosing anything...

In addition to the low end torque the super easy removal of fairings is the only thing I miss my former GS.

·
Registered
884 Posts
That certainly is a complex procedure. A lot of interconnected pieces on the bike. Certainly the most involved process I've had for any bike I've owned.

I guess I'll make sure that when I wire the accessories I do it in one go to avoid having to do all this disconnection again.

Tank removal is easy, 1 bolt, two hoses, one hose connector and two wire connectors. When the bolt is loose, lift the rear end of the tank few inches and support with something, you get room for loosing hoses and wires. Then lift and pull backwards.

The hard and time consuming part is uninstalling the plastics. They look nice but are designed by complete idiot (street bike engineer). Tens of loose, plastic nipples, two different bolts, clips, pins, holes etc. I'd like to see the designer uninstalling these on Nowember night on 2 degrees C, with the help of headlight in Finnish forest, and not loosing anything...

In addition to the low end torque the super easy removal of fairings is the only thing I miss my former GS.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Took the picture from Workshop Manual, tank removal. Fairings, seat lock bridge must of first. I also recommend removing the ETC tray (under seat lock bridge and fuseboxes, fastened 4 plastic pins). The tank removal is possible without removing the ETC tray, but installing is very difficult. Don't ask how I know...

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Note, Juha told, that installing the tank should go without removing the ETC-tray. First fasten the wires and hoses, then slip the rear end of tank under the ETC-tray and just then the front end to rubber grommets and push tank forward. Not tested myself, but may be possible.

Also I didn't remove the ETC tray, then installing the front end first to rubber grommets needs brute force and two big screwdrivers for getting the rear end of tank under the ETC tray.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts