Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for help on maybe why this happened

Was out driving my AT DCT 2018 and all of a sudden the Dash went black and it kicked out of gear
It stayed running and defaulted to Neutral
It was on the edge of darkness and the headlight was still on but very weak
The bike would idle and could rev up decent in neutral and the transmission would not engage
I turned it off and restarted and it started fine
It would re- engage the transmission and then as I gave it gas it then would kick back into neutral after maybe 50ft to 70ft
It never shifted out of 1st gear

I would then restart and do this all all over again I limped it back to a friends house clasp by and left overnight
I suspected it was a fuse

The next day I pulled the saes and saw a 10amp fuse was burnt out
Replaced it and all if good except I have a check engine light on the dash

Any ideas what may be going on and does anyone know how to get the check engine light off or do I need to take it to the dealer
What your opinion
Keep in mind this is a DCT model

Please share your thoughts

Thanks so much

BIrdman

·
Registered
445 Posts
If I recall correctly the only 10A fuse is the Option Fuse. Do you have any electrical accessory mounted on your bike?
Regarding the engine light, I've read that in some condition, if the fault does not represent itself, it will cancel after a while (a few power-on/power off cycles).

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,973 Posts
You gotta watch the “check engine” light ... It’s NOT always about the engine, for example if your seat isn’t locked down it will come on too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks AT- Dragon & deltabi for your comments
Its not the seat as I checked that out first All good there

Took it to the dealer and they could not get it to duplicate and so they cleared the engine codes and all good
at least that what they say The test road it hard and all checks out

Kind of weird

Thanks Agian
Birdman

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well took my bike in for a resolve and the dealer found 6 low voltage codes and had no explanation for why these would have been there- Maybe low battery and also why I got a check engine light after I blew the fuse

All good and I have road it for 2 days and No worries

Thanks

Birdman

·
Registered
33 Posts
Suggest you check your battery cables (connections to battery terminals) and connections, especially to ground. Low voltage makes sense that a fuse would blow. Lower voltage will increase amps to get he work done. The question is still there - what caused the lower voltage?

Jon

·
Registered
445 Posts
I agree with Jon: if the battery terminals are tight, a bad ground point could be the culprit. They should be checked.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Guys

Ok it happened again as I blew the same fuse and this time I figured it out

I put on Radiator screens about 3 weeks ago from Altrider and I guess a wire was touching the metal screens and each time I would beep the horn it would blow the fuse

All good now and Smiling all the time

Birdman

Thanks for all your ideas

1 - 9 of 9 Posts