Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I had the Honda 12V accessory socket fitted from new and I have managed to blow the fuse (stupidly I attempted to use an electric tyre pump)

According to the fitting instructions there is an inline fuse, however I am unsure of the location

I’m hoping replacement of the fuse won’t involve stripping down the front end!

Any advice would be appreciated

Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
295 Posts
Unfortunately it is a complete strip down of thr front end. I raised this as a potential issue with my dealer pre purchase and was told it would be covered by the warranty. There is a good YouTube clip of how to strip and replace the front end.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for confirming, I think I'd rather attempt it myself than let the dealer loose on it again so will check out the video for sure!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Unless it was added by the installer, there is no inline fuse in the OEM 12v accessory outlet wiring kit. The front accessory plug is fused from the 10a OP fuse under the seat.

·
Registered
125 Posts
That is wrong information. I just ordered and installed the Honda 12v accessory plug/wiring kit and there is indeed an inline fuse (7.5 amps, i believe). Unfortunately, it does require removing the whole front fairing.
First time doing this might seem like a chore, but after you've done it once or twice it really isn't too bad. I can probably do it in under 15 minutes.

·
Registered
212 Posts
That is wrong information. I just ordered and installed the Honda 12v accessory plug/wiring kit and there is indeed an inline fuse (7.5 amps, i believe). Unfortunately, it does require removing the whole front fairing.
First time doing this might seem like a chore, but after you've done it once or twice it really isn't too bad. I can probably do it in under 15 minutes.
Really? Then there must be two kits. Please tell me where to find the inline fuse in this harness. :surprise:
http://powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08U70-MJP-G50.pdf

·
Registered
212 Posts
Gladly. Page 4, #17: "fuse holder". It looks like another connector but it's a fuse holder with a fuse in it.
Wow. Honda has done some dumb things but this is a corker. Hiding a fuse under the fairing is criminal. If I passed on the kit and installed a generic socket, fused from the main fuse block. Why not just jump that inline fuse and put a 7.5a. in the OP slot?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wow. Honda has done some dumb things but this is a corker. Hiding a fuse under the fairing is criminal. If I passed on the kit and installed a generic socket, fused from the main fuse block. Why not just jump that inline fuse and put a 7.5a. in the OP slot?
Good point, but my best guess would be that maybe there are other, more important items on that same circuit that you couldn't (or wouldn't) operate the bike without functioning or risk damaging.
Whereas, you could probably live (for a while at least) without your accessory outlet.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Good point, but my best guess would be that maybe there are other, more important items on that same circuit that you couldn't (or wouldn't) operate the bike without functioning or risk damaging.
Whereas, you could probably live (for a while at least) without your accessory outlet.
Looking at the wiring schematic, I see the OP fuse only supporting the accessory plugs so anything tied to it (heated gear aux lighting, etc.) would be lost with a fuse blow. Nothing that would stop the bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Strip down is not too bad. I did mine the other evening to add the socket and install the Satnav. Now I know where all the rivets and screws are I could do it in less that 30 mins no problem.

Fuse is next to the rubber boot on the back of the clocks.

There are quite a few bits to remove.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I had the Honda 12V accessory socket fitted from new and I have managed to blow the fuse (stupidly I attempted to use an electric tyre pump)
What pump were you using? The Motopumps Mini Pro is said to draw < 5A. That's the one I plan to get after I switch to tubeless.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts