Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mounted the 590LM in my handlebars, I had it that way on my last bike and I prefer the accessibility since I am using it as a media player. It also give me the ability to mount my SPOT beacon on the back side.

Went with the Oxford grips because they were cheap, and they also sell single replacement grips, so if I damage one I can easily replace it. The wiring has super low quality connectors in my opinion. I'm sure it is difficult to make a common wiring harness for all bikes. I cut all of the connectors off and the soldered and sealed it with heat shrink tubing.

Attachments

·
Registered
991 Posts
Looks good! Just a few more weeks of winter before we can test out our bikes!

·
Registered
66 Posts
CanadaRider, I like your set up. Very neat.
Just heads up, if u use the tracking option on your spot.
Mounting the spot within 12inches of a GPS, makes the spot communications to the system very intermittent.
I used to have my gps on the left side and the spot on the right side of the bar clamps, but the tracking connection was horrid.
I ended up emailing spot, as u pay extra for that option.......they informed me that the two devices can't be mounted that close to each other.
I've place my spot on the rear of my bike on my rear bag and it works flawlessly now.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had it mounted this way on my Tiger and never had any communication issues. I'll let you know how it works this time.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Canadarider, I'm installing the 590 this weekend. The wiring harness is a spaghetti mess! Did you chop off all the useless comm input wires? I'm also installing Denali lights and PDM60. So it will be difficult to roll and tuck all that unusable spaghetti.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi Canadarider, I'm installing the 590 this weekend. The wiring harness is a spaghetti mess! Did you chop off all the useless comm input wires? I'm also installing Denali lights and PDM60. So it will be difficult to roll and tuck all that unusable spaghetti.
I have mounted my 590 on three different bikes and used 3 different methods to deal with the spaghetti mess. On one, I left it intact and just didn't use most of it. On a dual sport, I clipped all the spaghetti at the point where they "emerge" from the single cable. This got rid of the spaghetti, but left a long power lead (with all the other unused leads in the same sheath). This worked fine. On my AT, where space was an issue, I cut the "single" cable just a foot or two from the GPS mounting point and fished out the red and black power cables and used just those with no issues. Once you cut the single black sheathed cable, you can identify the power cables since they are a red and black pair that are separately shielded - from memory, there was another bundle of shielded wires, but there were four or five of them together (including red and black).. The cables you need to power the device are the red and black that are in the shielding all my themselves.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Canadarider - I don't yet own a GPS tracker, so take this thought with that lack of experience in mind, but folks I know that have them tend to mount them/keep them on their jackets as opposed to mounting on the bike. I was told that the logic behind this is that in a bad wreck (where you may have to use the SOS function), you may be separated from your bike by quite a few feet without the ability to easily get back to your bike. By mounting/carrying it on your jacket, you will always be within arms reach of your safety device to summon help. Just a thought.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the info canadarider. I will go ahead and take the wire cutters to the spaghetti and keep the positive and negative cables intact. I was concerned about compromising the harness by cutting the unused wires off.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Canadarider - I don't yet own a GPS tracker, so take this thought with that lack of experience in mind, but folks I know that have them tend to mount them/keep them on their jackets as opposed to mounting on the bike. I was told that the logic behind this is that in a bad wreck (where you may have to use the SOS function), you may be separated from your bike by quite a few feet without the ability to easily get back to your bike. By mounting/carrying it on your jacket, you will always be within arms reach of your safety device to summon help. Just a thought.
You are correct, but my dad likes to watch where I go for fun, and with it in the cradle it sends my location every 10 min. It doesn't always work in my pocket....

If I'm on a trail that is more difficult, I will sometimes take it out of the cradle and throw it in my pocket.

·
Registered
230 Posts
This is an important point. I have some people close to me that would surely be dead if there didn't happen to be witnesses around. As lifting their hand to press a button would have been an accomplishment in itself, crawling to the bike for a phone/beacon there would have been absolutely no way in ****.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts