Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A hack share, copy at your own peril.

After deciding the TomTom GO + Apple CarPlay wasn't going to replace the Garmin Zumo I had taken off the 1200GS it was time to install it onto the 2021 AT. Was feeling lazy and really didn't want to take the tank off and run the Zumo mount wires back to the battery. Plan A was to use the connector reserved for the 12v power outlet, and had taken the blank plug off with plans to visit the auto elec next door to work to get them to terminate the Garmin Zumo mount wires for me into it, its just missing the two pins. I had a look at the little black box on the Garmin wiring loom and notice that it is simply a 24vdc - 5vdc converter, I think it was rated at 5vdc 1.5A, so basically the same voltage used in USB systems.

I decided this was great as I could make the Zumo + Mount real easy to move between bikes. The conversion only took a few minutes:
1. Cut the cable between the mount and voltage converter. I left a bit of length connected to the converter just in case I need to splice the wires back together in the future.
2. Purchased a Type A USB connector with solder lugs.
3. Soldered the 2 wires to the USB 5vdc and 0vdc terminals (far left and right terminals).
4. Fitted the USB connector's shell. Note I took this off in the final design as I couldn't get the AT cover to seat. I used some 5 minute Epoxy and the shell to mould a soft case and protect the terminals from water etc.
5. Plugged into the AT USB outlet. The Garmin powers up/down with the AT's ignition. If I need to move it to the other bike, its a 5 minute job.

Cheers,
Conrad

Brown Grey Rectangle Gadget Font

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Well,
Nice write up. I've had my Zumo about oh, maybe almost a year or so, almost as long as I've had the '18 AT/AS/DCT. I did a search on here and found where one could tie into some ignition-hot wires. They're just under the left side of the tank. It was a tad bit time consuming but, no biggie. I wanted to keep my power plug available for future use, like maybe a power point for my phone etc. which, I did use later.
Scott

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Africa Twin 2022 LD dct
79 Posts

After deciding the TomTom GO + Apple CarPlay wasn't going to replace the Garmin Zumo I had taken off the 1200GS it was time to install it onto the 2021 AT. Was feeling lazy and really didn't want to take the tank off and run the Zumo mount wires back to the battery. Plan A was to use the connector reserved for the 12v power outlet, and had taken the blank plug off with plans to visit the auto elec next door to work to get them to terminate the Garmin Zumo mount wires for me into it, its just missing the two pins. I had a look at the little black box on the Garmin wiring loom and notice that it is simply a 24vdc - 5vdc converter, I think it was rated at 5vdc 1.5A, so basically the same voltage used in USB systems.

I decided this was great as I could make the Zumo + Mount real easy to move between bikes. The conversion only took a few minutes:
1. Cut the cable between the mount and voltage converter. I left a bit of length connected to the converter just in case I need to splice the wires back together in the future.
3. Soldered the 2 wires to the USB 5vdc and 0vdc terminals (far left and right terminals).
4. Fitted the USB connector's shell. Note I took this off in the final design as I couldn't get the AT cover to seat. I used some 5 minute Epoxy and the shell to mould a soft case and protect the terminals from water etc.
5. Plugged into the AT USB outlet. The Garmin powers up/down with the AT's ignition. If I need to move it to the other bike, its a 5 minute job.

Cheers,
Conrad

Trust it is still working. I have just ordered a type A usb connector and will do the same on my AT 1100 L dct, as it sounds as an easy operation without disconnecting to many parts of the bike. best wishes Niels

View attachment 67185

·
Registered
472 Posts
Well,
Nice write up. I've had my Zumo about oh, maybe almost a year or so, almost as long as I've had the '18 AT/AS/DCT. I did a search on here and found where one could tie into some ignition-hot wires. They're just under the left side of the tank. It was a tad bit time consuming but, no biggie. I wanted to keep my power plug available for future use, like maybe a power point for my phone etc. which, I did use later.
Scott
What is your phone mount?

·
Registered
472 Posts

Cheers,
Conrad

View attachment 67185
I did similarly with the cig lighter. Now I wish I had done usb like you...

·
Premium Member
Africa Twin 2022 LD dct
79 Posts
Trust it is still working. I have just ordered a type A usb connector and will do the same on my AT 1100 L dct, as it sounds as an easy operation without disconnecting to many parts of the bike

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
What is your phone mount?
Well,
The phone mount you see in that pic, is an older one that I was not all that happy with. Yes, it did work but, it was kind of a pain in the a$$ messing with all those rubber band type corners. A buddy I ride with used a different one on his K1600 and I really liked it. So, I ordered one up and changed to it. Waaaaaaaaaay better. The first one linked here is my old one. The second one is my new one. I liked it so much I bought one for my K-1600. A lot easier to use and much faster for dismount of the phone when going into a restaurant etc.
Scott

Amazon.com: Metal Bike & Motorcycle Phone Mount - The Only Unbreakable Handlebar Holder for iPhone, Samsung or Any Other Smartphone. +100 to Safeness & Comfort : Cell Phones & Accessories

Amazon.com: iMESTOU Aluminium Motorcycle Phone Mount U-Bolt Handlebar 1" Ball Stem Cellphone Holder 360 Rotating with Length Width Adjustable Universal for Max.7.2 inch Large Phones Sturdily : Automotive

·
Registered
472 Posts
Well,
The phone mount you see in that pic, is an older one that I was not all that happy with. Yes, it did work but, it was kind of a pain in the a$$ messing with all those rubber band type corners. A buddy I ride with used a different one on his K1600 and I really liked it. So, I ordered one up and changed to it. Waaaaaaaaaay better. The first one linked here is my old one. The second one is my new one. I liked it so much I bought one for my K-1600. A lot easier to use and much faster for dismount of the phone when going into a restaurant etc.
Scott

Amazon.com: Metal Bike & Motorcycle Phone Mount - The Only Unbreakable Handlebar Holder for iPhone, Samsung or Any Other Smartphone. +100 to Safeness & Comfort : Cell Phones & Accessories

Amazon.com: iMESTOU Aluminium Motorcycle Phone Mount U-Bolt Handlebar 1" Ball Stem Cellphone Holder 360 Rotating with Length Width Adjustable Universal for Max.7.2 inch Large Phones Sturdily : Automotive
Thanks, Scott. I have a different brand that is similar to your new one. I really like it but my concern (not really too much) is that they are spring loaded. If it hit something that causes inertia to toss the phone I may find myself lying in the brush needing to call 911 but my phone is gone... I've read that the phone should be carried in a pocket so it will always be with the rider in case this happens. Oh well...

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Thanks, Scott. I have a different brand that is similar to your new one. I really like it but my concern (not really too much) is that they are spring loaded. If it hit something that causes inertia to toss the phone I may find myself lying in the brush needing to call 911 but my phone is gone... I've read that the phone should be carried in a pocket so it will always be with the rider in case this happens. Oh well...
Well yeah, I suppose that could happen. I don't always carry the phone there, just when I feel I want to, for whatever reason. There's some controversial scuttlebutt about phones incuring some sort of damage due to high frequency type vibrations that can occur on handlebars and the like. I'm not too worried about that either. I figure if it's in my pocket or mounted on the bars, if I crash and burn some place, I'll deal with what the circumstances are when I get there.
Scott

·
Registered
472 Posts
Well yeah, I suppose that could happen. I don't always carry the phone there, just when I feel I want to, for whatever reason. There's some controversial scuttlebutt about phones incuring some sort of damage due to high frequency type vibrations that can occur on handlebars and the like. I'm not too worried about that either. I figure if it's in my pocket or mounted on the bars, if I crash and burn some place, I'll deal with what the circumstances are when I get there.
Scott
Funny thing… when I was screwing around with the position I rotated it 180 degrees, basically upside down, so to put the phone in I pushed down on it then let it slide up into the upper arms. But, I let go of the phone and it missed the upper arms and launched across the floor 😆

·
Premium Member
Africa Twin 2022 LD dct
79 Posts
@Back2Honda Hey there, have you managed to test this rig out much......has it worked well?

Am I right in thinking there is no fuse in the cable from the mount to the USB?
I bought a usb 2.0 cable with mini-usb and it is working perfectly. No, there is not a fuse in the cable and i do not think it is necessary, 5 volt only

·
July 2022 ROTM Winner
663 Posts
I bought a usb 2.0 cable with mini-usb and it is working perfectly. No, there is not a fuse in the cable and i do not think it is necessary, 5 volt only
Thanks for the reply.

That's what I thought but wanted to check.

Am I right in thinking the original mount and cable are used, then spliced in to with a new cable which has the new USB on the end.......or do you by-pass that and use the port for the car power/computer?

·
Premium Member
Africa Twin 2022 LD dct
79 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

That's what I thought but wanted to check.

Am I right in thinking the original mount and cable are used, then spliced in to with a new cable which has the new USB on the end.......or do you by-pass that and use the port for the car power/computer?
Did not use the original mount for car power cable, just ordered a new usb 2.0 cable angled, so it fits into the usb slot, and connected it and it worked:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question: did you cut the cable behind the Garmin power converter and soldered the USB A plug directly to the wires?
The power supply reads the same 5.5Volt and 1.5Amp as USB power specks. Asking because I already have a powerful USB outlet nearby where I want to install my ZUMO XT 5.5" and want to avoid the extra clutter.

Thanks for sharing!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.