Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm 26 and New to ADV riding (in fact i haven't started yet but I've paid for my 2016 red/black rally AT) I've been riding dirt for near on 20 years starting on an XR80 and gradually moving up to my current bike a CRF450x
im probably taking delivery of my new Africa Twin in the next few weeks, Made a deal with my Local Dealer getting a set of MotoZ Tractionator Adventure Tyres fitted front and rear (tyres and fitting included in price of bike) plus he's fitting a bashplate, radiator Guards and pivot pegs labour free (i will be buying them from him) very excited about my purchase!

Anyway I'm keen to get to know some of you with more ADV experience than myself and get some tips on the bike and Long Range Touring.

Cheers,
Nusk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome

Welcome a big hello from Brisbane Area Nusk looks like your already enjoying the new ride I just recently got mine and I am just as excited as the day I got mine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome Nusk, I am from Melbourne and had my AT since about March last year. I just got back from a 1700km ride to the Snowies and the bike was awesome. All I have fitted is a B&B bashplate, Barkbuster Storms, Barrett Pannier racks with ATG soft bags and a Ventura rack. Fully loaded the bike did the trip easy. I only managed about 400kms of dirt roads but the original tyres handled things quite well. That might be different if the roads were wet tho. Enjoy your new ride ! Steve

·
Registered
154 Posts
G'day from Sydney mate. I mainly ride mine on the dirt and I think you'll find the tractionators do the job pretty good. Love my AT - awesome bike...once you get going on a dirt road or highway you'll just want to keep going and going.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am surprisingly lucky I don't call a town home! I'm a farmer on the border of SA/VIC in the mallee. I'm 230km from Adelaide and 230km from Mildura about 600ish from Melbourne. Nearest town in Vic is Murrayville less than 200 people call it home.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Welcome Nusk, I am from Melbourne and had my AT since about March last year. I just got back from a 1700km ride to the Snowies and the bike was awesome. All I have fitted is a B&B bashplate, Barkbuster Storms, Barrett Pannier racks with ATG soft bags and a Ventura rack. Fully loaded the bike did the trip easy. I only managed about 400kms of dirt roads but the original tyres handled things quite well. That might be different if the roads were wet tho. Enjoy your new ride ! Steve
What do you think of The B&B BashPlate? I'm getting their safari Bashplate and their Radiator Guards. I have them both on my 450x so I figured they'd be good. But I haven't seen them in the flesh on an AT

·
Registered
35 Posts
What do you think of The B&B BashPlate? I'm getting their safari Bashplate and their Radiator Guards. I have them both on my 450x so I figured they'd be good. But I haven't seen them in the flesh on an AT
The B&B Safari Bashplate is fantastic. Its super strong and gives good protection to the headers and engine cases. The fitment is really neat where it has brackets which mount to the frame - and the plate mounts to the brackets which makes it easy to remove. There is tons of space to let you hose out any dirt and crap that gets in.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You will love the AT. I have the Tri colour, played around with the suspension and almost have it where I want it. It was way too soft (standard) front forks are ok now but might look at an upgrade later.
Safari B B plate is the go, no need for lowere crash bars they protedt the casings.
I have also included the following:
Oxford grips (don't like the cold - even living in QLD)
Crash bars - front (Hepco B)
Pannier bars - back (Hepce B)
PC 8 Easter Beaver fuse box (exceptional quality and easy to install)
luggage plate - rear
Rear plastic luggage case to carry my travel gear and tools. Bought in Super Cheap Auto
Extension screen to stop the buffeting - works a treat on those long journeys
Tractionator Motoz adventure front and rear (will replace front with TKC 80), better in the sandy tracks but tractionator is a great tyre for dirt and road.
Pivot pege - must have.
Rox bar risers - 2" (hurt my back on a four day ride from being bent over all the time). Just because Chris Birch tell everyone to throw them away, doesn't mean I should ride standing bent over!
Led's - look for the Komy's (best and cheapest on market) 3500Lms. Had them for over four years now on a couple of bikes and they are outstanding. 2allbuyer reviews.
Extended front mud guard risers (easy to make or purchase from Rugged Roads). Will purchase a high fender when someone makes a decent model.
Stone guard for front lights - Hepco B (great product)
2 X USB plugs (wired to PC 8) located in lower dash - a must for my gear
Rugged Roads chain guard - the plastic one snapped on my first ride (a large tree branch flicked up and got caught up in the cheap plastic one)
3 M protection Tape (same what they use on helicopter blades, installed on most parts of my plastic, including tank to protect it from scratching. I didn't buy a kit (they dont cover everything). It was very time consuming to cut out from templates but has been worth the effort.
Bark busters - VPS with extensions.
Barrett - after market muffler. Exceptional quality and Aussie made (Black).
will replace cheap paper air filters soon (next service) with Unifilter set up. Foam is always best for dust and dirt!

Hope this helps! My bike is not perfect but I have set it up to ride off road, so far it's been a great bike, well balanced and definitely well priced! My KTM 990 was an amazing bike, but the front end was alway a little heavy, tried an expensive front end upgrade but still tended to slide out, not confident building. Honda is much more ballanced, weight down low and a better ride!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chris. Sounds like your AT is well set up I'd like to see some Photos! I'd love to end up with a setup like yours. But for now I'll have o live with what I've got. I'd consider bar risers but I hate the swept back bars on the AT I'm considering swapping out for a set of straighter bend higher rise bars from tag or universal etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts