Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a Honda ST1300 and a Suzuki DR650.
I have the ST1300 listed for sale and once it sells I'll be looking to either selling or to trading in the DR650 on an Africa Twin DCT.

The ST1300 is a great bike, low maintenance and plenty of power. But it does limit me as to where I can ride, I want to be free to take the gravel and dirt roads and camp wherever I like.

The DR650 is also a great bike, but I'd like a bit more engine, EFI rather than carbs and I'm looking to loading up a bit more luggage which would be better done on a bigger bike. I also want lockable storage like my ST1300 has.

Here in New Zealand, the annual registration cost for motorcycles is quite high. Since I've recently switched to commuting to work by car I've decided that I need to get rid of the two bikes and get one bike that is great for touring the country and would handle going off-road to some degree.

On my last big trip, I got stuck in slow moving traffic for a while, my left wrist started to ache with all the clutch work. I really want to change to a bike that has no clutch lever but isn't using a CVT transmission. A DCT bike really appeals to me.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi Mark. I use my DCT to ride to work on in summer and winter. A great bike and the only mistake I made was to have the Honda heated grips fitted (no good on very cold days down here in Canterbury). Have Touratech panniers and top box fitted which are great for touring and attending rallies.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Mark. I use my DCT to ride to work on in summer and winter. A great bike and the only mistake I made was to have the Honda heated grips fitted (no good on very cold days down here in Canterbury). Have Touratech panniers and top box fitted which are great for touring and attending rallies.
You weren't at the 2016 Magpie Madness rally were you? I talked to someone there that had a DCT with Touratech panniers.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes that was me at the Magpie Rally Mark.
Are you going to the Burt Munro this year?
I'm heading down on my DR650 with enough time to see some sights on the way, planning to go through the Molesworth station for some gravel riding fun.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi Mark.
Not going to the Burt.
Enjoy the ride through the Molesworth. I've ridden it on my 1500 Goldwing and the Africa Twin. Better suited to the AT.
Have you been through the Rainbow?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Mark.
Not going to the Burt.
Enjoy the ride through the Molesworth. I've ridden it on my 1500 Goldwing and the Africa Twin. Better suited to the AT.
Have you been through the Rainbow?
I haven't been through the Molesworth or Rainbow before, I might do both, next week. My DR650 is pretty good on gravel, pretty much the opposite of the ST1300.

Next Tuesday I'm riding down to Wellington, camping overnight in the Top10 campground in Lower Hutt. Also in Lower Hutt is a Honda dealer that has an ex-demo AT DCT priced about NZ$3k less than full price (NZ$21,500 instead of NZ$24,500) - I might pop in and talk to them. If they are happy to take 2 trade-in motorcycles for their AT DCT then I'll consider sorting out a deal there. I'm keen on getting rid of my ST & DR and getting a shiny new (or at least 2017 model ex-demo with 2,000km on the clock) AT.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I purchased my AT from motomart in Lower Hutt.
They did a good deal for me.
If you need a bed in Christchurch give me a call (Go to the Ulysses Club website for my contact details).
It now costs $20 to ride a bike through the Rainbow.
You'll enjoy the Molesworth just watch out for cars cutting the corners.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended up splashing out a bit more for brand new, got NZ$2k off the retail price from Honda Hamilton. I've only done about 350km, but I'm already loving it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts