Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Derek Dust here, just saying g'day to you all.
Picking up a red one in the next few days. Tried it, loved it, can't wait to get it out onto the thousands of miles of dirt highways and tracks we've got down here. Huge distances, loads of dirt, if ever a bike was made for Australia....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Derek Dust here, just saying g'day to you all.
Picking up a red one in the next few days. Tried it, loved it, can't wait to get it out onto the thousands of miles of dirt highways and tracks we've got down here. Huge distances, loads of dirt, if ever a bike was made for Australia....
Hi Derek, where are you in Sydney....I'm in the Gladesville area :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Further out mate - Campbelltown, but I used to live just over the bridge in Drummoyne. There's some good spots about an hour or so away from here. I'm going to find out how she goes on Canyonleigh Rd and Wombeyan Caves Rd to start with with, then maybe try Swallowtail Pass. I suppose you'd head north to Wiseman's and Settlers Rd or Colo for your off-road shenanigans.
Cheers.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Welcome to the club.

What other bikes were you looking into before deciding on the Africa Twin? These days there's so many to choose from!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the club.

What other bikes were you looking into before deciding on the Africa Twin? These days there's so many to choose from!
Well you might think this odd, but I was going to buy an Aprilia Tuono V4 1100. But given the perilous state of my driving licence I was overcome by a sudden attack of commonsense and decided to buy a dirtbike instead. So I went to look at a KTM 690 but when I saw the Africa Twin my mind was immediately made up. Not only did it look great, but it was pretty much the same price as the KTM. No contest really. But you are right, so many great bikes these days...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well you might think this odd, but I was going to buy an Aprilia Tuono V4 1100. But given the perilous state of my driving licence I was overcome by a sudden attack of commonsense and decided to buy a dirtbike instead. So I went to look at a KTM 690 but when I saw the Africa Twin my mind was immediately made up. Not only did it look great, but it was pretty much the same price as the KTM. No contest really. But you are right, so many great bikes these days...
Well I stepped off a Hperstrada! Test rode a new Multistrada but decided that I could see my pushing it down dirt roads.....

My reason for the AT is that I wanted to not have to stop at the start of a dirt road....wanted to see more of the country and wanted to do it in comfort!!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I stepped off a Hperstrada! Test rode a new Multistrada but decided that I could see my pushing it down dirt roads.....

My reason for the AT is that I wanted to not have to stop at the start of a dirt road....wanted to see more of the country and wanted to do it in comfort!!!
I hear ya on all levels mate. The Multistrada and MS enduro look totally awesome, but imagine the gut-wrenching pain you'd feel if it took even the smallest of stone chips in that gorgeous, but very expensive paint job. I'd love a MS but I'd be too terrified of putting it down to ride it properly in the dirt. The AT is just perfect for what I need.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Swallowtail pass is great, nice ride after smashing through Taralga/Oberon.

I had to build a little road for myself last time I took my ST1300 through there, it'll be much easier on the AT.
Must have a beer up there...

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Looks like you went through after a bit of rain there mate! Last time I did Swallowtail it was as dry as...which means a beer or two at the Taralga pub obviously.
Oh, and good on yer for getting that beast through.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts