Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just purchased my New 2018 Adventure Sports. The bike is great except when accelerating quickly, sometimes I have a problem shifting from 3rd to 4th. I had a similar issue with my CBR250R going from 2nd to 3rd. The way it feels is I pull up the gear shifter and it does not click/ clunk into the next gear, I have to let out the clutch while remaining in the same gear which is jerky, then I try again and it clicks right into place like it should. Whenever I have this issue, it always shifts up to 4th on the second try. I have never tried double tapping it while the clutch is still pulled in, but this might work as well.

I know oil has an affect on how your shift works, but this bike had 0 miles when I bought it and I've only put about 50 miles on it when this issue started to occur.
Is this a symptom of the oil the dealer used for the break-in period, or maybe the oil contamination from the first 50 miles? Anyone else have any idea or had this issue too?
Thanks.

·
Registered
417 Posts
As per the manual, the bike for the first 500kms or so must not be subjected to rapid accelations/descelerations. Aside the pistons, all parts of the engine need a run-in period. On my ATAS the gearbox was quite rough during the first 1000kms or so; now it is butter smooth.

Give it some kms to run-in and wait for the first oil change; it will improve.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Petros is right--the shifter does get smoother over time. But for me, I also had to move my shifter position up some (big feet) and it made a big difference.

Also, check and sort your chain slack--it slackens quite a bit over the first 500 miles or so--it can have an impact on shifting. I like my chain slack near the tighter side of the threshold, closer to 45mm (for the ATAS)--that's what works for me, esp. for very slow riding; I can easily let out my clutch in 1st with no throttle, take off slowly and ride around in 8mph circles, off the throttle, just idling along--smoothly.

And most often, I like to shift casually in general while riding, like an old-school cruiser. Off the throttle/ pull clutch lever, very short pause, shift up, short pause, lever out, throttle up. That was pretty hard to do for the first 500 miles or so (and before sorting my shifter position and chain slack), but now, much easier. From 1st to 2nd can be a bit jerky/ clunky every once in a while, but every other change is smooth as silk. And, of course, it's always smooth as silk when I work the clutch and throttle fast--that's never an issue.

Good luck, man. I think you'll notice an improvement over time.

Gary

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi, I just purchased my New 2018 Adventure Sports. The bike is great except when accelerating quickly, sometimes I have a problem shifting from 3rd to 4th. I had a similar issue with my CBR250R going from 2nd to 3rd. The way it feels is I pull up the gear shifter and it does not click/ clunk into the next gear, I have to let out the clutch while remaining in the same gear which is jerky, then I try again and it clicks right into place like it should. Whenever I have this issue, it always shifts up to 4th on the second try. I have never tried double tapping it while the clutch is still pulled in, but this might work as well.

I know oil has an affect on how your shift works, but this bike had 0 miles when I bought it and I've only put about 50 miles on it when this issue started to occur.
Is this a symptom of the oil the dealer used for the break-in period, or maybe the oil contamination from the first 50 miles? Anyone else have any idea or had this issue too?
Thanks.
Put some miles on it, adjust it so as to get your boot right under the leaver for direct upshifts. changing gear quickly and concise will improve matters. You can take out the pivot bolt that goes through the lever, this has a recess that should be full of grease with a seal either side. Make sure this is packed with grease.
The gearbox will improve with mileage...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts